Defender 300 tdi oil pressure - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: 300 tdi oil pressure

I talked with my brother and he thinks its my oil relief valve because of what i described "
    My oil pressure climbs to ~1.6bar just above idle , more rpm does nothing to the oil pressure(HOT)"
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

AND HE IS HERE TO DO SOME BUSINESS WITH A BIG IRON ON HIS HIP

I ran a MadMan EMS2 system on my Discovery 2, and the VDO oil pressure sender loved acting up... Sometimes insanely low etc.

It may be worth just checking your oil pressure in another way, before deciding to start taking things apart.
    2013 Amarok d/c TDI 103kW 4motion

3. The Following User Says Thank You to phuma For This Useful Post:

Hi
    I just stumbled on this so I thought I'd have a say.

I just rebuilt my 300tdi and it's done about 3000Kms. Concerning oil pressure......I replaced Cam Bearings, Crank Bearings, had the Crank sanded (or whatever the term is?) new oil pump gears as the housing was OK after checking clearances and new oil squirter Onion bolts that squirt cooling oil at the bottom of each piston. (Important!)

I'm using Penzoil 20W-15 Diesel Oil and Ryco Filter and my pressures are (approx)

Cold around 45-48 psi
    Engine at operating temp (as I don't have an oil temp gauge) around 28-32 psi
    Engine hot at idle (which is about 850rpm) being an automatic with an Air con about 19psi

Tell me a couple of things? Have you tried a different oil just to compare?

Did the rebuild replace all of the Cam bearings?? Maybe you don't know? The Cam is a place where you may lose some pressure if the Cam was worn worse than expected or if the bearings weren't replaced.

The Oil Pressure Relief Valve 'could" be an issue. The easiest way to check out that would be as has already been described, by checking the pressure relief valve and spring.
    But when you talk about the low pressure while tearing along the highway it makes me wonder if the person building the engine may have not replaced the Cam Bearings or maybe forgotten to place the oil Thermostat into where it belongs It would be an easy miss for someone who doesn't do these engines often. Just a thought and an easy one to check first even.

Good luck. Is the engine noisy at idle?? By noisy, I mean, mine used to sound like a normal Diesel idling other than a rhythmic clunk or knock which was wear in the front Cam Bearing.
    The knock was not a terrible knock or alarming and different to a big end knock. It was way less severe and sounds almost like a part of the engine noise. It is obviously at the front of the engine and can sound like it should be there until you hear an engine that doesn't have it.
    Then you realise, it isn't.
    Last edited by Peppercorn; 2019/10/21 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phuma View Post
    I ran a MadMan EMS2 system on my Discovery 2, and the VDO oil pressure sender loved acting up... Sometimes insanely low etc.

It may be worth just checking your oil pressure in another way, before deciding to start taking things apart.
    The old pressure transducers where crap, the new solid state ones are much more reliable.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    The pressures on my tdi, new head and turbo on an original block of about 400k km and new oil pump:

Cold: 4.5 - 4.8 over 2500 rpm
    Normal temp: around 2.1
    Hot, pushing water temps to 97 degC: 1.8
    Idle when hot, just below 1.0
    This seems to be pretty much what the average "guy on the street" is getting.

Falling below 1.8 when hot, that's where you definitely need to start getting concerned IMHO.

Niela, again, if your values are indeed correct, you will need to address it. But do check first for "small" things... and perhaps as suggested by others, check with a different oil and see if things get any better.

A lot of good suggestions and info on this thread - one of the best in recent times re 300 Tdi oil pressure, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    The old pressure transducers where crap, the new solid state ones are much more reliable.
    fjh, do you have the new solid state transducer?

I can't argue with the photos :-) and your high oil pressure under hot running. But I'm sure you'll agree your values are much higher than almost anyone else's!

Are you sure your sensor readout falls to zero when the engine is stalled but ignition on? If not, the sensor is stuck and needs a bit of a tap with something metallic, which will cause the reading to fall back to zero? This leads to much higher indicated running pressures.

Just talked to a guy at overlandworx and he is also under the impression that my relief valve is stuck. I explained my symptoms and not what i thought it is to not usher him in a direction.

I also dont think my oil thermostat is faulty , a guy in this thread says when his opened oil dropped by ~0.3 bar , i experience that when i drive town oil (1.9bar) highway(1.6bar)

My next two weeks is quite hectic but after that i will start .

1) By testing oil pressure with a mechanical gauge , if the readings are still low .
    2) Drop the sump and replace my relief valve , also clean the oil pickup.

If this doesn't solve the issue i will probably book my landy in at lrxtreme so that they can diagnose it , this will also be the cam belt service so they will be in the area of the oil pump and rear housing.

Do these steps follow in the right order?
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

The oil pressure relieve valve sit at the bottom of the oil pump housing.

Prepare yourself for a fight.
    You'll need a very broad and very strong flat screwdriver.
    Some heat might help.
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.

My madman is set at 1 bar low alarm and alarms when oil is hot after a long pull.
    It will be around .8 to 1 bar.
    Other pressures are similar to jfh But not 4 bar.
    I run at 110kph around 3 bar.
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 2 SWB (Near Future)
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNhJOUolmY

Useful video, watch form 8 minutes in for undoing the relief valve.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    fjh, do you have the new solid state transducer?

I can't argue with the photos :-) and your high oil pressure under hot running. But I'm sure you'll agree your values are much higher than almost anyone else's!

Are you sure your sensor readout falls to zero when the engine is stalled but ignition on? If not, the sensor is stuck and needs a bit of a tap with something metallic, which will cause the reading to fall back to zero? This leads to much higher indicated running pressures.
    Sorry, I missed your question.

From day one I had the same readings.
    But when the old tipe oil pressure transducer started to give me trouble, I got a new solid state one.
    The readings didn't change, although I had to do some settings for it to go to zero on shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppercorn View Post
    Hi
    I just stumbled on this so I thought I'd have a say.

I just rebuilt my 300tdi and it's done about 3000Kms. Concerning oil pressure......I replaced Cam Bearings, Crank Bearings, had the Crank sanded (or whatever the term is?) new oil pump gears as the housing was OK after checking clearances and new oil squirter Onion bolts that squirt cooling oil at the bottom of each piston. (Important!)

I'm using Penzoil 20W-15 Diesel Oil and Ryco Filter and my pressures are (approx)

Cold around 45-48 psi
    Engine hot at idle (which is about 850rpm) being an automatic with an Air con about 19psi

Tell me a couple of things? Have you tried a different oil just to compare?

Did the rebuild replace all of the Cam bearings?? Maybe you don't know? The Cam is a place where you may lose some pressure if the Cam was worn worse than expected or if the bearings weren't replaced.

The Oil Pressure Relief Valve 'could" be an issue. The easiest way to check out that would be as has already been described, by checking the pressure relief valve and spring.
    But when you talk about the low pressure while tearing along the highway it makes me wonder if the person building the engine may have not replaced the Cam Bearings or maybe forgotten to place the oil Thermostat into where it belongs It would be an easy miss for someone who doesn't do these engines often. Just a thought and an easy one to check first even.

Good luck. Is the engine noisy at idle?? By noisy, I mean, mine used to sound like a normal Diesel idling other than a rhythmic clunk or knock which was wear in the front Cam Bearing.
    The knock was not a terrible knock or alarming and different to a big end knock. It was way less severe and sounds almost like a part of the engine noise. It is obviously at the front of the engine and can sound like it should be there until you hear an engine that doesn't have it.
    Then you realise, it isn't.
    Good comments, Peppercorn.

I suspect it's quite common for rebuilders not to do anything about that cam bearing. That knocking is also quite characteristic and, as you say, it's difficult to notice it until it's not there, or you're an expert at the Tdi.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peppercorn View Post
    ...my pressures are (approx)

Cold around 45-48 psi
    Here's another one then. Peppercorn's figures, converted to bar:
    Cold engine (presume driving, not idle?): 3.1-3.3 bar
    Engine at operating temp: 1.9-2.2 bar
    Hot idle @ 850 rpm: 1.3 bar

And we now have two members who get much higher hot operating oil pressures around 3 bar.

And Peppercorn has just done his whole engine, including cam bearings, oil pump, and checking clearance on the housing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Car was today at LRXtreme , they checked my oil relief valve spring , was still within spec as well as polished the relief valve cylinder .

No change in oil pressure still at 1.6bar just above idle and stays there , Walter thinks its my oil pump housing.

What do you guys think?
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

No harm checking, except for money.

BTW: here is the difference between the old and new oil pressure senders.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How much does a new oil pump housing as well as oil pump go for (300tdi)?
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

Front cover: R4 876

Oil pump oem: R 799.25

At LR service center.

New development:

oil temp before 60C

Pressure changes with rpm , from idle 1.6 bar to driving 3.2 bar .

When oil is 80C

pressure idle 1.2 bar , driving 1.7-2.2 bar ,

Can a relief spring fatigue to the point where it loses its spring constant when it is warm , at lrxtreme they stretched the spring a little now my running bar is .2 bar higher than it was.

Driving now at 90C my pressure was 1.8 to 2.2 bar , idle 1.2

What do you guys think?
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

Sorry but I don't agree what they did.

It's maybe a bush fix but the correct way is to measure the free length.
    If it is below spec you replace it.

See attached: No. 5 and 6
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Sorry but I don't agree what they did.

It's maybe a bush fix but the correct way is to measure the free length.
    If it is below spec you replace it.

See attached: No. 5 and 6

The free length was in spec and they did discuss it with me , maybe the free length is within spec but the spring has maybe lost its resistance.

Relief valve spring:- Full length .................................................. .................... 51,6mm
    Valve spring free length, 68.00 mm (2.68 in)

Conflicting data from the workshop manual.
    Last edited by Niela; 2019/11/06 at 04:00 PM.
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast