Yet another Hwange question...

Default Yet another Hwange question...

I am sorry to yet again ask a question about where to stay in Hwange. I have already read a lot of earlier questions/ replies on the forum, but the more I read, the more questions I have about where to stay

A little bit about us. We will have a 4x4 Hilux with RTT hired from Bushlore. We will be in Hwange from the 20th july 2020 and leave again the 27th july 2020, which leaves us with 7 nights. We will probably enter Zimbabwe at Pandamatenga.

I have read a lot of conflicting replies on which parts are the best for game viewing. Like an example: Some say that the area around Robins are great, other say that the was very little game in the area. And again some say the main area is great, others say it was the opposite. But maybe it depends on the time of year?

So far I have an idea about splitting it with 3-4 days around Sinamatella and 3-4 days around main camp. We would love to camp in the picnic spots. Which again lead to another question. I know we probably are to late to get the best sites, but if you could choose, which ones would you choose?
    I have read that most people think that around the main area the best are : Ngweshla, Kennedy 1 and the Jambile. (is Guvalala also in this area?)
    Around Sinamatella it seems that Deteema are the best, and then Masuma Dam. If we can´t get the best picnic spots are the others worth the money? 172 $ a night is not cheap, not even for an european
    So where would you stay in for 7 nights in Hwange?
    And which areas would you focus on in july?

Any input will be highly appreciated

Default Re: Yet another Hwange question...

Hi Jayron, you are already very well informed and have narrowed down your Hwange alternatives very well. I feel obliged to offer my bit of advice.

July is the dry season in Hwange and game viewing is generally good in all areas. The animals are more visible as the bush is less thick and also they are concentrated around the drinking water at water holes.

The far east of Hwange around Main Camp and nearby Ngweshla and Kennedy picnic sites has different vegetation and therefore, to some degree animals compared to the center of the park (Sinamatela) and the west (Robins). The east is more open with mixed acacia-type woodland and more of the grass grazing-type antelope. It is relatively good for roan and sable antelope. In the center, and to a lesser extent in the west, the bush is much thicker (mopane trees) and here you will find larger herds of elephant and buffalo. It is good to visit the different envionments as they each have their own attractions. The predators are spread pretty evenly through the park.

With 7 nights I would divide 2, 2 then 3 nights in each of the three areas.

Center: Here I would look at Deteema picnic site as first choice, if full look at Shumba and third Masuma Dam picnic sites and finally if none other, then Sinamatela (a main camp). Otherwise there is an attractive private lodge here that offers pre-erected tents and self-catering at relatively reasonable rates, try https://www.kapulacamp.com
    East: Here either Ngweshla picnic site as first choice, or also Kennedy. Perhaps Jambile picnic site or even Main Camp itself if nothing else.
    West: Here Robins Camp has fairly recently been privatised and you can camp there at fairly reasonable rates https://robinscamp.com. The facilities have been upgraded considerably and are better than the old facilities in the rest of Hwange. Animal viewing in the Robins area has been very good in more recent years. This camp is closest to Pandamatenga and thus would be most suitable for your last or first nights.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Hi Stan.
    Over the years I read a lot of your trip reports(and followed you on your "slowdonkey-trip") and replies to different threads over the years, so I have a good feeling about taking advice from you As a matter of fact, your trip report from Mabuasehube/Kgalagadi, was one of the reasons that we visited the place in january this year.

But back to Hwange.

From your advice I think that we will do something like this:

20.july Robins Camp
    21-22 july Deetema( or Shumba) picnic spot
    23-25 july Ngweshla or Kennedy picnic spots
    26. Either Robins camp or main camp. Depends on which way we decide to go back to Johannesburg. Which again depends on the situation in Zimbabwe.

But that of course depends on what is available.

Plans look good but get on and do your bookings. Please provide feedback and any subsequent trip report for others to make us of, would be most welcome.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I've just returned from the Hwange game count, we were based in Robins.

The recent upgrades are really great. We stayed in a chalet, but the campsite has two new ablution blocks and you have access to the facilities in the camp (bar, restaurant, pool etc).

Just be aware by the time you go next year Deteema camp will no longer be at the hide overlooking the waterhole. A new hide is being built and the campsite moved back about 100 metres away. There will also be space for 2/3 groups, so it won't be exclusive to you anymore.

With regards to game in the Robins area, there was plenty. But it's much like the northern Kruger, you have to work a bit harder than down south due to the mopane.

RobH....Thanks for the update, especially regarding Deteema. I am still in the process of finding out what picnic-spots that are available. I am not put of by the fact that is not exclusive anymore, we actually like to meet some new people

Thanks for all the useful information.
    2004 Disco II XS TD5 A/T Sold - Sad to see it go
    2008 Land Cruiser 76 4.2 Diesel SW