Terios vs jimny

Thread: Terios vs jimny

Default Terios vs jimny

I had a jimny 2011 which I owned 8 years and 120.000km and loved it.
    I replaced it for a Daihatsu Terios model 2015 for family aspect. But offroad is very important as I have a cabin in a place where you need a good offroader to go, in the Andes(Chile). I do not offroad for passion but necessity.
    I found very few comparision so I decided to make one.
    So I am comparing a Jimny 1.3 3rd generation against a Terios 1.5 J210 4WD.

When you are used to drive a jimny, everything on wheels feels like a Formula One.

in the city:Both cars are city friendly for their size and turning radius. However Jimny is even smaller, so better, and have very good 360° vision.

On the highway. Jimny makes lot of wind noises and motors revs up to 4300RPM on highway. Terios have less aerodynamic noise, but the motor makes lot of noise, even if it revs lower (4000RPM). For cruising at 110-120km/h it's OK . Terios wins for its superior steering (quiet) and stability at these speeds.

On roads: Terios motor is same kind (small motor that needs to rev high to give power), but the motor is quite better, torque also. In curves Terios is much better. Terios is much more comfortable and have better grip. Terios is very lightweight for its size. Braking is way better, and it has ABS.

Interior space: Terios is very big inside, especially compared to its weight, and the fact it is a small car from outside. 5 seat and 60/40 rear seat are great. Hooks in the trunk to secure load.

Consumption: quite the same for both car. Very good for offroaders.

Gravel roads: Terios is much more comfortable, suspension does better job, but the car moves a lot. It slips progressively. More stable, you can go 10km/h faster. Longer wheelbase helps. You arrive at destination less tired.

Light offroad. Terios Permanent 4WD system is better because it have central differential, so it turns better. Clearance is similar so it's OK. Suspension is better (softer) so way more comfortable to go. Entry/Exit angle of the Terios is even better than the Jimny.

Rough Offroad. Both vehicule have about the same clearance of 200mm BUT the Jimny suspension is way stiffer. So The terios tend to knock agains stones below. The Terios below is not as renforced as the Jimny, it have some plastics covers...
    Rear suspension of the Terios is a rigid axle, with good articulation so quite a strong setup. But it's possible to feel the car is complaining, when Jimny pass without problems.
    Traction is same on both car (when using central difflock, which came standard on Terios 4WD). I cleared a zone where I found Vitara 2015 two doors 1.6 (without difflock, but with low gears) could not pass.

Terios does not have low gearbox as the Jimny. As the motor is better, and the 4WD version have a 5% shorter ratios than the 2WD, it helps, but still you will need to use the clutch a lot.

Terios performance is quite good in offroad, but is the durability good in rough offroad? It is supposed to be a reliable car, but I think the suspension and the chassis is not designed to the same kind of abuse as a Jimny. And the clutch could suffer.

Jimny is VERY reliable (120.000 km done with very few issues).
    If you need a car to do it all, Terios is way better, safer and less tiring. BUT Jimny will support years of offroad abuse, and it have more charm, it's a speciality car.
    Jimny have more spare parts and upgrades (hard to find suspension upgrades or LSDifferential for terios). Jimny is wonderful because it consumes very little spare parts (tires last 100.000km, brake pads 60.000km, discs should last 140.000km, rear brake pads have infinite life, cluthc shall last 150.000km...)
    I will lift the terios 40mm and update.

Default Re: Terios vs jimny

The Terios is an underrated vehicle.
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Thanks for the in depth write up, what was the actual fuel consumption of the 2 vehicles?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/10/19 at 10:05 PM.

We have one of each and this review is excellent!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by nicolas.swid View Post
    I had a jimny 2011 which I owned 8 years and 120.000km and loved it.
    I replaced it for a Daihatsu Terios model 2015 for family aspect. But offroad is very important as I have a cabin in a place where you need a good offroader to go, in the Andes(Chile). I do not offroad for passion but necessity.
    I found very few comparision so I decided to make one.
    So I am comparing a Jimny 1.3 3rd generation against a Terios 1.5 J210 4WD.

When you are used to drive a jimny, everything on wheels feels like a Formula One.

in the city:Both cars are city friendly for their size and turning radius. However Jimny is even smaller, so better, and have very good 360° vision.

On the highway. Jimny makes lot of wind noises and motors revs up to 4300RPM on highway. Terios have less aerodynamic noise, but the motor makes lot of noise, even if it revs lower (4000RPM). For cruising at 110-120km/h it's OK . Terios wins for its superior steering (quiet) and stability at these speeds.

On roads: Terios motor is same kind (small motor that needs to rev high to give power), but the motor is quite better, torque also. In curves Terios is much better. Terios is much more comfortable and have better grip. Terios is very lightweight for its size. Braking is way better, and it has ABS.

Interior space: Terios is very big inside, especially compared to its weight, and the fact it is a small car from outside. 5 seat and 60/40 rear seat are great. Hooks in the trunk to secure load.

Consumption: quite the same for both car. Very good for offroaders.

Gravel roads: Terios is much more comfortable, suspension does better job, but the car moves a lot. It slips progressively. More stable, you can go 10km/h faster. Longer wheelbase helps. You arrive at destination less tired.

Light offroad. Terios Permanent 4WD system is better because it have central differential, so it turns better. Clearance is similar so it's OK. Suspension is better (softer) so way more comfortable to go. Entry/Exit angle of the Terios is even better than the Jimny.

Rough Offroad. Both vehicule have about the same clearance of 200mm BUT the Jimny suspension is way stiffer. So The terios tend to knock agains stones below. The Terios below is not as renforced as the Jimny, it have some plastics covers...
    Rear suspension of the Terios is a rigid axle, with good articulation so quite a strong setup. But it's possible to feel the car is complaining, when Jimny pass without problems.
    Traction is same on both car (when using central difflock, which came standard on Terios 4WD). I cleared a zone where I found Vitara 2015 two doors 1.6 (without difflock, but with low gears) could not pass.

Terios does not have low gearbox as the Jimny. As the motor is better, and the 4WD version have a 5% shorter ratios than the 2WD, it helps, but still you will need to use the clutch a lot.

Terios performance is quite good in offroad, but is the durability good in rough offroad? It is supposed to be a reliable car, but I think the suspension and the chassis is not designed to the same kind of abuse as a Jimny. And the clutch could suffer.

Jimny is VERY reliable (120.000 km done with very few issues).
    If you need a car to do it all, Terios is way better, safer and less tiring. BUT Jimny will support years of offroad abuse, and it have more charm, it's a speciality car.
    Jimny have more spare parts and upgrades (hard to find suspension upgrades or LSDifferential for terios). Jimny is wonderful because it consumes very little spare parts (tires last 100.000km, brake pads 60.000km, discs should last 140.000km, rear brake pads have infinite life, cluthc shall last 150.000km...)
    I will lift the terios 40mm and update.
    Awesome review.... I really wanted a Jimny so bad (still want one ), but had my eye on a 2010 Terios 4wd also.

Wife and I spoke about it a long time as we wanted something reliable that will last a few years, and keep the family word in the back of our heads, as we were about to get married.

2 years down the line, and I am glad that I went for the Terios... Especially with a 8 month old baby
    2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE AT.
    1999 Discovery II V8 XS AT.
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

I own a 1997 1.3 Terios (a Purple one -eish)
    Nice little 4wd.

The bad:
    1. No low range gearbox
    2. Not so light on fuel (app 10km/l road about 8.5km/l in town)
    3. Spares for this specific model available in SA

The good:
    1. Pulled a Land Cruiser Prado out of the dunes once - No my eldest went and placed a Land Cruiser recovery vehicle sticker - Klein bliksem as my main drive is also a Prado!!
    2. Seriously underrated especially in sand, rocks not so much
    3. easy to work on should you need to
    4.The purple color is changing to Cruiser beige next month
    5. I bought it for R30000 grand in 2015 I have been offered close to R45000 4 years on8)

Probably will not sell anytime soon.

I owned a terios before, can’t remember the model year but it was the 1.5 4x2 model. The Terios was built on the Toyota RAV platform, and the engine is the same as many Toyota products, even the mirrors had the Toyota emblem underneath!

The Terios is an excellent small offroader, the Jimny is more capable because of the low range and solid front axle, but the Terios as much more spacious and user friendly as an every day drive.

I still think if you are not going to use the car for hardcore offroading the Terios awd is a better allround vehicle. Here in RSA there was a slightly more offroad orientated model with a freeflow exhaust with a bit of extra oomph and raised suspension, I also think it had a lsd.

I have also seen articles on aftermarket upgrades that makes it very capable.

Ad far as reliability goes, its basically a Toyota RAV with a smaller Toyota engine, so I don’t think there sould be any concerns.

I have bought a newer version of the same type of vehicle for my everyday drive. The new Duster 4x4, thus far I am very happy with my wheels, I believe that some of the smaller 4x4’s are very under rated.
    Nissan Navara d23 (Leatherman)
    Jeep Cherokee 3.2 (Swambo’s sportscar/ mommy taxi)

The way I see it there should be changes to three vehicles on the market today that would make sense for someone wanting a great small 4x4.

1. a Jimy with 4 doors and a bit more bootspace. This will do for the Jimny what the JK Unlimited did for the Jeep Wrangler.

2. The new Toyota Rush with 4x4/awd, and auto gearbox.

3. The new 4x4 Duster with automatic gearbox.
    Nissan Navara d23 (Leatherman)
    Jeep Cherokee 3.2 (Swambo’s sportscar/ mommy taxi)