Attack by the 3 Amigos on my Disco 2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Attack by the 3 Amigos on my Disco 2.

While out and about in the Hluhluwe area we hit a section of road with very bad corrigations. We stopped at a place of interest and when starting up to leave the dreaded 3 Amigos had invaded the Disco. Back at camp I checked the ABS sensor at each wheel and the right rear one was sitting at a bit of an angle. I got it back into position but the Amigos refuse to vacate the vehicle. So now I'll have to wait till I'm back in the Big Smoke to borrow a Nanocom to try reset them back to the dark ages. We're heading down to Salt Rock from Hluhluwe tomorrow so it will be at least another week of putting up with this invasion of yellow lights. Hopefully it won't cause any other problems for the rest of our holiday trip.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Default Re: Attack by the 3 Amigos on my Disco 2.

Try a hard reset, removing the battery terminals and touching the Negative and positive leads together and leaving it for a few minutes. Might be enough to reset the fault memory, but probably not.

You should be ok. Have had the 3 Amigos for quite some time with no after effects. Even off-road driving. Not sure what it will do to downhill assist as I never had to use it, but abs does play a role here.

Obviously I don't know Landies
    So Here I thought you were attacked by BBBEE

I put tape over mine so I couldnt see them hahahahahahahaha
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

I just came to a conclusion. Those 3 amigos must definately be female.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

Quote Originally Posted by jk1945 View Post
    You should be ok. Have had the 3 Amigos for quite some time with no after effects. Even off-road driving. Not sure what it will do to downhill assist as I never had to use it, but abs does play a role here.
    When 3 amigos are busy drinking the tequila and are all lit up, traction control is not functional.

Hill descent also doesn't work when they are lit.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

There is a simple fix involving a bridge wire across the shuttle valve in the ABS control unit. Most of the Amigo faults are due to a poor connection on a plug on the shuttle valve which is fixed by this mod. Any good (old) D2 mech should know about it, and if not, a Google search (on the UK Disco forum) will show up the fix that an enterprising home mech should be able to do. Note, I did say most 3 Amigo problems are sorted this way, but not all..... If the shuttle valve is toast then you need a new ABS unit as you cannot get parts for it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by colinwp View Post
    There is a simple fix involving a bridge wire across the shuttle valve in the ABS control unit. Most of the Amigo faults are due to a poor connection on a plug on the shuttle valve which is fixed by this mod. Any good (old) D2 mech should know about it, and if not, a Google search (on the UK Disco forum) will show up the fix that an enterprising home mech should be able to do. Note, I did say most 3 Amigo problems are sorted this way, but not all..... If the shuttle valve is toast then you need a new ABS unit as you cannot get parts for it anywhere.
    In most cases its the shuttle valve switches and/or the internal connector thats the culprit, and not the shuttle valves themselves. The connector can be by-passed, and new shuttle valve switches can be bought at LR.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

Bad corrugations, dust and squeaking disc pads can cause them to appear but they usually disappear after switching the ignition off and on again. Maybe also check that the cables are pushed in properly at the connector plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke1098 View Post
    Bad corrugations, dust and squeaking disc pads can cause them to appear but they usually disappear after switching the ignition off and on again. Maybe also check that the cables are pushed in properly at the connector plugs.
    Thanks Duke. I will check and clean all the connectors when I get home. The roads were properly snotty after the rains so the underside of the Disco had a coating of red mud that must be wash off before I can even think of working under there. I have had the right rear wheel sensor move before and when repositioned the snag went away but not this time.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

I see you have a history of buying problems, wanna be Lotus 7, VW Touareg, then a Disco ��.

Maybe you should seek professional help. You're letting the Edenvale side down ��
    Last edited by Dave Miles; 2019/10/21 at 11:57 PM.
    Toyota Hilux 4x4 4 Litre
    Conquerer Courage
    KTM 690 Enduro R

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miles View Post
    I see you have a history of buying problems, wanna be Lotus 7, VW Touareg, then a Disco ��.

Maybe you should seek professional help. You're letting the Edenvale side down ��
    Dave I didn't buy the 7, I built it from scratch using the original dimensions but added some extra stiffness to the chassis. I have won 2 Region Championship in the car so it can't be that bad. My VW is the Touran, the mommy soccer wagon, which hasn't given a moments hassles since I bought it. The Disco hasn't given me problems because I look after it like you should with any older vehicle.
    My shrink gave up and ran away, I think she immigrate, so I took that to mean I was a normal Vale kid. Ha ha ha.
    I'll put up with me Amigos till we're home the I'm banishing then to rehab....
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

NewLandy popped in this morning with his Nanocom. He was able to banish the 3 Amigos in moments of plugging in the Nanocom. The fault showed it was the ABS shuttle valve that cause the unhappiness. I'm told that you can buy a new replacement ABS shuttle valve switch assembly for about $50 on ebay so that is going to be my next step.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

Part number.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Part number.
    Thanks for your assistance today and the part number.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

I had to google "3 Amigos Discovery" and it is actually a real thing...

You can get a shirt for this!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    NewLandy popped in this morning with his Nanocom. He was able to banish the 3 Amigos in moments of plugging in the Nanocom. The fault showed it was the ABS shuttle valve that cause the unhappiness. I'm told that you can buy a new replacement ABS shuttle valve switch assembly for about $50 on ebay so that is going to be my next step.
    Yay for NewLandy.

Be careful with the error codes. I had them on my disco and the indy did some fault checking:
    1) 1st fault reading - sensors - replaced sensors - the buggers reappeared
    2) 2nd fault reading - shuttle valve - replaced - the buggers reappeared
    3) 3d reading - sensores
    I was not only poff but paid a shitload of money.
    Did some research and found a very interesting scenario. If the battery is starting to get alzheimer, the control unit inherits that and passes the desease to its amigo friends.
    Solution- 1)new battery 2) clear all faults
    Result - no Amigos ever again
    Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Part number.
    2002 Discovery td5

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Its most likely the shuttle valve connectors inside the ABS unit. I track on the small PC board that connects the shuttle valves to the main harness on the side of the ABS block that suffers a bad connection. Mine gave me the run around for a couple of weeks before I gave in and did the "by-pass" or rewire I should say, and since then (3 years) no more 3x Amigos.

It is actually an easy fix, although finicky, but not that bad.

You basically re-route the shuttle valve wires from the connection plug directly to the bottom of the ABS unit where the shuttle valves are housed.

Followed the info on Google.
    .................................................. ......
    Gary W

Discovery 2 (Td5) Best 4x4xfar
    BMW GS 1200 Adventure. For when the road ends...
    Jurgens XT120..home away from home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast