Keeping cool in a tent - tips? - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: Keeping cool in a tent - tips?

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    I got a set with 6 mist sprayers, which I connects to a shurflo 2095 pump. One can reduce the sprayers as you like. The electricity demand is maybe not the big issue if your solar supplying enough, but it use quit an amount of water. With 6 sprayer is uses 2 liters in 15 minutes.
    The amount of water is directly responsible for the amount of cooling. The more the better

Salton mist fan now on special at PnP hyper for R1300. It should work very well. Anybody used one yet ?
    It uses only 200ml an hour and might not be enough.

Goldair for less than R1000 at Builders.

I camp mostly in places where there is no electricity and the temperatures can reach up to 48 degrees as it did in December; I watched countless people having problems with their fridges and battery power alarms going off. I have three very simple tips :

1. I use a sarong/kikoi during the day which I wet with water around my shoulders [yes, men can use sarongs as well]
    2. At night I have a light towel that I wet with water and use that as a sheet - it brings your body temperature down - I do the same with my fridge by turning the temp down at night and using a folded wet towel over the fridge [even although it has a cool cover].
    3. I don't plug 20 things into my inverter system that is going to cause too much power usage - only my fridge. Anything I want to charge is done while I drive around.

I always have ice and can chill
    Gabon / Botswana

If you only visit 2 continents in your lifetime - visit Africa
    TWICE

If you have extra water use it dampen mosquito net or shade cloth of the tent - evaporative cooling can be quite amazing. Many years ago at Inhassoro on the Mozambique coast the fish factory used a cooling tower of water dripping over wooden slats to keep the temperature down. And it doesn't get much hotter or more humid than that coast in summer.

Agreed, evaporative cooling rules. the most indispensible item we take is a 2 litre garden spray bottle. 2 weeks ago we had 45 degs in Botswana but spraying the top of the inner roof of our RTT reduced the temperature to around 30 deg. A good wetting using 1 litre lasted around 30 minutes which is quite accceptable for us as we travel light. The evening temperatures were fabulous and the air turns to silk, that you do not get with any air conditioner.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6