Keeping cool in a tent - tips? - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Keeping cool in a tent - tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Damn those are nice!
    They work really well. Not having a shroud around them reduces the noise a bit. You can stop the blade without hurting yourself due to the soft leading edge of the blade. I have an extra one, for which I will make a bracket so that I can mount it on my camera tripod, making it "mobile" where needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Hi All

Only one decent battery operated fan in my opinion.

The 18v Makita fan has speed settings, a timer and rotates. A bit pricey, but with the 6Ah battery runs 10 hours on low settings.
    Only drawback is you need 220VAC to recharge the battery. A 350watt invertor should do the trick.

Draws 1Amp at max settings.

It is pricey, but the Makita products are top quality. You do get a 12V charger for their battery packs

Save your money and get the vrou /husband to fan you with a big banana leaf of palm leaves
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    It is pricey, but the Makita products are top quality. You do get a 12V charger for their battery packs
    I did not know that. Bright's Hardware obviously neglected to inform me of such.
    I will investigate as soon as possible.

Thanks man
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    I did not know that. Bright's Hardware obviously neglected to inform me of such.
    I will investigate as soon as possible.

Thanks man
    They are about R600 more expensive than the 220V chargers, and charge at a slightly slower rate

http://www.makitatoolsonline.co.za/i...&product_id=37

For those humid nights you really need a compressor air con,this one uses only 300watt 1.3amp but 240v AC so requires an inverter.Check it out http://www.closecomfort.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by eddyoz View Post
    For those humid nights you really need a compressor air con,this one uses only 300watt 1.3amp but 240v AC so requires an inverter.Check it out http://www.closecomfort.com.au
    Very interesting.. but I think shipping may kill it for us as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyoz View Post
    Hmmmm I am always sceptical when it says its a personal cooler and dont cool the tent/room.

Maybe something like this?
    https://www.rigidchill.com/micro-dc-aircon/

So what the aircon does is to remove moisture and that improves comfort levels significantly.

The problem is that aircon's are totally inefficient in a tent. A tent wall is a poor thermal barrier and acts as a radiator to transfer the cool air to the outside. This means that the aircon has to be on a great deal of the time and the direct air flow can become chilly and unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    The largest 12V unit is 360W or 1 000Btu. Most caravan owners fit a 9 000Btu unit and I have a 12 000Btu unit as the popup walls are also a thin canvas and the cold escapes at an alarming rate. The van is a little bigger but with superior insulation, I cannot see 1 000Btu aircon being a practical solution.

Camping in Zambia and Malawi in the heat of the summer I am never without a couple of cotton kikyois. At night I sleep under a wet kikyoi and generally wet it again during the night. If it's hot during the day - a wet kikyoi draped around my neck and shpilders. No electricity needed and very effective

Quote Originally Posted by Shwam View Post
    Have a canvas tent and will look for the shade.

Camping in Kruger for a week in November and know I'll fry.

Anyone have any tried and trusted USB or battery powered fans/air coolers?
    I was helped with this problem a while ago from another member, for our rtt (suspect you're using a ground tent?)
    Many fans are either noisy, or draw too much (power for what I wanted - i.e. a small portable system). I have 2 small fans that are fairly quiet, move reasonable amount of air, and draw low power. I use a couple of 7Ah batteries, in the tent to run the fans and a couple of lights. I bought the fans from China Mall in Centurion. Cheap and effective.
    Can take pics if you're interested....

We spend a lot of our time camping where there is no 220V so used an inverter to power fans , but two years ago I came across 12v ceiling fans while surfing the net.Took a chance and ordered a few even though I was a bit sceptical. I have since used these fans to camp in December in Moz and can tell you they work like a charm. They have a blade diam of 500mm and two suspended in the Xplorer keep you nice and cool . I got them off bangood.com 7 days from payment to delivery to my door
    Thomas

2007 3.0 D4D DC 4X4 31 " Bridgestone A/T, Ride Rite,Long Range Tanks, NL Dual Battery System
    2008 Jurgens Xplorer
    2012 Pajero GLX Now with Air Max on the back

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNL View Post
    I was helped with this problem a while ago from another member, for our rtt (suspect you're using a ground tent?)
    Many fans are either noisy, or draw too much (power for what I wanted - i.e. a small portable system). I have 2 small fans that are fairly quiet, move reasonable amount of air, and draw low power. I use a couple of 7Ah batteries, in the tent to run the fans and a couple of lights. I bought the fans from China Mall in Centurion. Cheap and effective.
    Can take pics if you're interested....
    Please place some photos and also a photo of the sticker on the fan. I suspect it is the normal 80mm ?
    I am using the 7 Ah already and would like to add fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    Camping in Zambia and Malawi in the heat of the summer I am never without a couple of cotton kikyois. At night I sleep under a wet kikyoi and generally wet it again during the night. If it's hot during the day - a wet kikyoi draped around my neck and shpilders. No electricity needed and very effective
    The internet was not too helpful.

What is a kikyo and where can I get ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Stumbled on this now, looks real nice. Almost tempted to make one vir mos.

Interesting, this one same concept but uses water and small pump, evaporative, no ice needed.

https://graywolfsurvival.com/2365/ho...r-conditioner/

Check this one! Haha go big!
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

Last year I camped at Sondela for a weekend and Swambo and I nealy died in excess of 45 degree days. We have an RV4 tent
    What saved us was an "on suite" bathroom on our camp site and having a cold shower every 30 minutes. On returning home after this nightmare weekend, I bought a brand new 12000BTU portable air conditioner the Monday.

It takes up space YES!, It uses electricity YES!, so the stand MUST have power YES!. It hums at night YES!! and it has a few other little issues too YES!.
    I will never ever do a summer camp without it ever again. We nearly died that weekend!!
    And if I want to camp in mid summer and the stand has no power, then I don't go camping!! In winter its a breeze as it can do heating too.

JA, I already hear all the purists shouting at me for being a MO**IE camper!! I want to hopefully die of natural causes some day, not burnt dead by the sun!
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

Try Build a DIY swamp cooler.

a bucket, fan, water pump, and if you can get a RV solar panel it can run the system.

Life saver at burning man festival in the states. see link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHbQYajfGqM

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Having mesh in your windows is a million times better than shade netting for air movement, shade netting is almost waterproof and severely restricts any air movement.
    Does other tent campers here have the same experience? I am planning to buy a new or used Tentco Safari Junior soon; seeing that it has shade netting windows this would be a cause of concern for me.

I am now using a Howling Moon Strata dome that has mesh windows. It is, however, poorly designed IMHO and is difficult to pitch, considering the weight that has to be lifted once the poles have been inserted in the sleeves. It also required a stack of tent pegs, which is difficult in rocky terrain. Therefore my interest in the Tentco Safari Junior, which seems to me better designed, has internal window flaps, etc. Is there a tent similar to the Tentco that has mesh instead of shade netting in the windows?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast