Khwai to Mohembo via Serongo Village

Default Khwai to Mohembo via Serongo Village

I am planning a trip from Khwai to Mohembo via Serongo Village (See attached Map). Has anybody recently done this route. I was informed that this is only for tour operators but I note there are several villages on that route and therefore cannot only be for tour operators. Any advise on road conditions, camping spots will be highly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mohembo.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	544537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moh1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	544538  

Default Re: Khwai to Mohembo via Serongo Village

Have not done this route, but there is a Transit Road that anyone can use. Road condition unknown, but T4A give distance from Khwai to Mohembo as 322km with 10.5 hr travel time so its not a highway.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	khwai - mohembo.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	518.9 KB 
ID:	544540
    '89 LR 110 V8

Hi Mike

Thank you, yes that is the distance but my idea is to do this in 2 - 3 day maybe staying over at Mbiroba Bush Camp or Umvuvu Camp if they still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintin2812 View Post
    Hi Mike

Thank you, yes that is the distance but my idea is to do this in 2 - 3 day maybe staying over at Mbiroba Bush Camp or Umvuvu Camp if they still exist.
    There is a lot of info about this transit road on the forum. I have never heard of any camps to overnight at. I would not undertake this without being properly prepared. I would love to do it in the wet but only with a couple of buddy vehicles as none of the reports I read are easy which makes it even more attractive. Used a lot by supply trucks so tracks will be wide and very soft sand in the dry. Who knows I have not done it yet . Drove about 20 km's for fun and turned back in the dry when staying at Khwai. (was easy)

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Hi Mike

I did a lot of work in the Seronga area but never travelled the entire distance of your planned route however spoken to many who have and they say very thick sand anf low range driving most of the way...there is an area called elephant pan which is apparently great for bush camping...but verify that first if possible...

You will need to carry extra fuel...

Oh and in the wet season most of that area is under water as it is flood plain...

Lool fwd to hearing after you drove it...
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

I have also noted that the Mohembo bridge is well on it's way although behind schedule.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi have done this transit (road,,) track a few years ago it is a long and very hard days drive with numerous sections were mopane trees/ shrub are pushed over by elephants crossing the track requiring clearing or if too dense you drive through the mopane shrub adjacent to the road to pass, so unless you have a vehicle that you donít mind being scratched to bits by shrubs rather miss it.

It is not in my opinion worth driving as there are nothing to see but the dense shrub next to the track, its ok if you wish to mark it up as a been there done it t shirt thing and donít mind a very scratched vehicle and yourself in clearing the track.
    The only villages are very close to Seronga before you get to the transit TRACK there is a very small open section on the transit track were you cross a side channel either dry or wet depending on time of year.

From Khwai you drive for the first section along the cut line that leads up to the savuti channel and yes it is easy and wide its when you turn west onto the transit track were it stops being fun
    From Seronga side its not the same

I am planning a trip from Khwai to Mohembo via Serongo Village (See attached Map). Has anybody recently done this route. I was informed that this is only for tour operators but I note there are several villages on that route and therefore cannot only be for tour operators. Any advise on road conditions, camping spots will be highly appreciated.
    i have driven it a couple of times west to east ( +- 10 years ago ). First time in September it was completely dry and a pajero io with us managed ( with a little towing ) . The second time heavy mud around selinda spillway with the spillway under more than a metre of water and very difficult. But in some years the water is extremely bad
    between the spillway and gudigwa . Go with sufficient fuel to turn back .
    Last edited by MartinClem; 2019/10/18 at 03:22 PM.

Yip, agree with the statement "very little to see" and not worth the while for anything but ticking the box.

I've done the way up to Gudigwa from Seronga then hired a guide to get into his concession to get close to the water which was a full day drive and bush clearing.
    Car repairs on the fly for ripped off air intakes or sump guards included.
    We then stayed for 2 nights "out there" but saw pretty little wildlife (in September that was)

On another occasion I tried my luck to navigate from Khwai direction Seronga as close as possible to the waterways (and far from the transit track).

Very nice experience but we had to return after getting lost a few times and running low on fuel when realising we were not yet halfways there.
    We tried to escape route North towards Linyanti but had to turn around due to unseasonal flooding.
    Tracks were completely overgrown and damaged through Elephant activities so when returning I had to scrap 4 reasonable good tyres due to sidewall damage.

My navigation was based on Google Earth visible tracks marked by waypoints every 500 - 1000 meters
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads