Tipo Tinto and sleeping on a Triton Clubcab bench seat - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Tipo Tinto and sleeping on a Triton Clubcab bench seat

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Nah, ... RUM, especially that dark stuff. makes you stink for days. You can shower and put on as much smelly stuff as you like, Rum seeps through the pores of your skin undiluted. The fumes keep you drunk for days.
    It's called Pirate Perfume.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    But I digress, Tipo Tinto is in another class, someone mentioned it was made with erasers. I reckon that is an apt description

Like some of the marula beer brewed in the northern areas of Zululand- you have take a piece of paper, write your name and number and address on there and put it in your pants pocket when having to drink the brew. It does happen that you need to look for that piece of paper to find who you area, as one gets rather astonishingly forgetful after three 900gr jam tins.
    Having lived in Kosi Bay, have you ever tried the local Palm wine? I remember our local fishing guide used to tell us about the stuff they make from Raffia palm sap. We tried it once, tasted a lot like lemon juice and water mixed with battery acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Having lived in Kosi Bay, have you ever tried the local Palm wine? I remember our local fishing guide used to tell us about the stuff they make from Raffia palm sap. We tried it once, tasted a lot like lemon juice and water mixed with battery acid.
    Yup, it is commonly called "injemane" but towards the Moz border the name "ubusulu" is also used. Not sure if the raffia is used, but the lala and wild date palms are normally utilised for this.

You are right, it was the Lala palm, not Raffia.

Dewald, see post #4 here about the palm brew:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...s-and-Pictures

Like some of the marula beer brewed in the northern areas of Zululand- you have take a piece of paper, write your name and number and address on there and put it in your pants pocket when having to drink the brew. It does happen that you need to look for that piece of paper to find who you area, as one gets rather astonishingly forgetful after three 900gr jam tins.
    we get a few tons off our trees every year..........we made some and gave 25L to the farm engineer and he was missing for a week
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Thanks, brings back memories of fishing Kosi bay every so often.

Our guide mentioned that 2liters of the stuff will put you on an alcohol diet - you will lose two days in a weekend!

If I drink three double whiskey and water I can't walk and my tongue becomes numb, therefore I can't drink whiskey, having tried to a few times. Must be the mind thing you mention as funnily enough rum does me nothing. Woulda thunk dat.
    Yup, either a mind thing or you might be allergic to an ingredient. It's not the alcohol though. Ethanol is ethanol.

Sounds like when we went to the 9-hour at Kayalami one year, either in the late 70s or early 80s. We got there the Friday afternoon and camped there with a friend's caravan with tent as the only shelter for 20 of us. As a Car Club, we hired a stand for 50 people with one of those cement semi grand-stands.

Friday night we had a braai, a few beers and walked around the track. We all more or less behaved ourselves. Saturday the rest of the 50 members arrived and brought two cases of Red Heart.

We braaied early, because the race ran from 12h00 to 21h00. We did not want to miss the race! Then we started getting clever with the Red Heart, ice and Coke, as in very clever, very fast!!!

We watched about the first hour of the race, and then some of us got very tired and some stated making pavement Pizzas (or as Perti says: "ons het begin katte skiet"). Maar ek dink party van ons ous het sommer leeus en tiere geskiet....

I know, I only woke up after the 9 Hour race was finished (with wet clothes. Apparently it rained sometime during those 9 hours, but we were oblivious and "slept" through it all, outside in the rain)....

For about a year after that, when I drank straight Coke, I would get vrot all over again....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/10/18 at 01:35 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

We once went fishing for a weekend at a friend's place on the Vaal River. Clever me allocated 2 x 2l per day. Not wanting to take breakables along, I bought 6 x 2l coke and a bottle of Oom Morne. Cokes were all depleted in the bottle a bit and topped up with Oom Morne, closed and taken along just like that.

The first morning after 4l Morne en Coke, damn hot in the middle of December with a nasty rum flavour in my whole body and a tad of a hangover, I got to the fridge to get something cold to drink. All there was was Oom Morne. It took me close to 5 years to go anywhere close to rum again after that.

In the future I pack non-booze as well. It has its place.

Default Tipo Tinto and sleeping on a Triton Clubcab bench seat

Never again.

I almost got divorced before I was even married. That was 10 years ago. Like someone just said, ethanol is ethanol. I wouldnít even put that stuff in my lawnmower.

Me and 2 of my mates could klap a litre of Richeleu in one sitting, I didnít cause any ####, and the bapalaas lasted only most of the next day. But when those same mates came back from Moz with a few plastic bottles of this devils liquid, that was nearly the end of me. 3 days later I was still drunk.

Well I got married, to a Belgian, and consequently discovered real beer. I can become well under the influence of said beer, but the next day I can still tell you what and how many I had, Iím sober by lunch, and Iím still married, to the same Swambo.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/10/18 at 02:16 PM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

This is true
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post

Well I got married, to a Belgian, and consequently discovered real beer. I can become well under the influence of said beer, but the next day I can still tell you what and how many I had, Iím sober by lunch, and Iím still married, to the same Swambo.
    Yep, I might be not able to stand after 12 pints of real, proper beer but I'll be fine tomorrow. Cheap rum, not so much.
    Percivamus

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  75.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Yep, I might be not able to stand after 12 pints of real, proper beer but I'll be fine tomorrow. Cheap rum, not so much.
    They might have to call the coroner after 12 pints of Bush (not Busch) beer. 12%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_(beer)
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

if you have not had a R&R at fernandos at ponto you have missed out

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    They might have to call the coroner after 12 pints of Bush (not Busch) beer. 12%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_(beer)
    yep I can drink I'm not that good
    Percivamus

Have you tried powdered beer...

During a long hike in the Transkei, the local shop we were visiting ran out of warm quarts.

The kind lady suggested an alternative...it was either BB or Amananti.

We brewed it in a bucket, funny pink colour booze starts overflowing full of bubbles.

The first sip is paint stripper...eventually your taste buds get compromised, good luck with trying to walk!

But hey as a young apprentice it was cheap...R5 for 5 litres. (Circa 2001 or 2002)

After 5 years living and working in Moz I'm afraid of that stuff. Had some great jols on it but the hangovers are horrendous.
    2 are ok if you have the self control to switch to something else.
    I once bought a bottle just before coming home on my time off and left it there only to go back 4 weeks later and the other Okes hadn't touched a drop That says something about the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigin View Post
    Have you tried powdered beer...

During a long hike in the Transkei, the local shop we were visiting ran out of warm quarts.

The kind lady suggested an alternative...it was either BB or Amananti.

We brewed it in a bucket, funny pink colour booze starts overflowing full of bubbles.

The first sip is paint stripper...eventually your taste buds get compromised, good luck with trying to walk!

But hey as a young apprentice it was cheap...R5 for 5 litres. (Circa 2001 or 2002)
    Umqomboti, wild fermentation.

Sorghum beer. You need to develop a taste for it.

We brew a clarified version, not nearly as chewy.
    Percivamus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast