Right fit for an overland newbie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lightbulb Right fit for an overland newbie

Hi 4x4 community,

I am a newbie here and this is my first post, so hello to all!
    I have had many laughs and enlightening moments reading threads here, so quite excited.

I am looking for an overland vehicle that's also suitable for daily life use and weekend trips (I know it's going to be a compromise). My first overland trip will be Namibia and Botswana.

My requirements are
    * Max 2 people (for overlanding)
    * R260k max
    * Not super heavy on fuel (that's why I haven't considered any petrol V8's)
    * Reasonable costs in regards to maintenance, spares, depreciation, insurance
    * Mounting a roof rack with roof top tent, awning and possibly water/fuel tanks

After doing some research and test driving I ended up with the following options:

* Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 Overland CRD
    * Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d or V6 3.0d LE 4x4
    * Pajero Sport 2.5d or 3.2d GLS 4x4
    * Land Rover Discovery 3/4 SDv6 / TDv6

I know these cars are quite different from each other but all are capable enough (objections are welcome).

My impressions so far in a nutshell:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 Overland CRD:
    Strong engine, lots of features, value for bucks, stylish/modern, not much roof space, limited space inside, feels almost like a normal car to drive

Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d or V6 3.0d LE 4x4:
    Nice boxy look, space inside seems enough, 2.5d engine a bit weak, 3.0d is strong and smooth, no idea if there is a diff lock?, driving feels like a good compromise between road and off-road vehicle

Pajero Sport 2.5d or 3.2d GLS 4x4
    Has the most off-road feel out of the four cars (also regarding interior), you can definitely hear and feel you're driving a diesel , inside space limited but space for long roof rack, decent power, apparently very reliable engines, prices relatively high

Land Rover Discovery 3/4 SE (SDv6 / TDv6)
    Driving this car makes me feel like a boss , heavy and you can feel its height, strong engines, lots of features and gadgets, prices relatively high, huge interior

I was actually tending towards the WK2, because it's fun to drive and you get value for money. But I noticed that you can't really fit a long roof rack on it (i.e. the frontrunner one is 1560mm long, so not enough for a tent plus other stuff).

Do you guys have any additional information or know any (substantial) up or downsides regarding those vehicles?

Thanks, Patrick

Default Re: Right fit for an overland newbie

Also look at petrol grand vitara.. Probs most reliable. From personal experience stay away from diesel discovery 3 and 4 (apart from feeling like a boss you end up paying like a boss)

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable

What about a Pajero Gen4 lwb?
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Pathfinder in a manual 2.5 is super strong. I towed my Xplorer for a number of years with one. It was a replacement for a 3.2 pajero and was a much better tow vehicle. But no DL and spares are expensive. For comfort the disco would be 1st choice. Any reason why you are not looking at a double cab?

Quote Originally Posted by Philip72 View Post
    Also look at petrol grand vitara.. Probs most reliable. From personal experience stay away from diesel discovery 3 and 4 (apart from feeling like a boss you end up paying like a boss)

Haha, I thought so too ("paying like a boss").
    The Grand Vitara might actually be a good option too. I see besides the 2.4l there is also a V6 but pretty rare...

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    What about a Pajero Gen4 lwb?
    I think it'd be over my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    Pathfinder in a manual 2.5 is super strong. I towed my Xplorer for a number of years with one. It was a replacement for a 3.2 pajero and was a much better tow vehicle. But no DL and spares are expensive.
    Thanks, that's some good information!

For comfort the disco would be 1st choice.
    I am with you

Any reason why you are not looking at a double cab?
    Never been a fan of bakkies

Quote Originally Posted by Philip72 View Post

Does the Grand Vitara come with low range and diff lock?

Comes with low range and one of the best traction control systems available. With a lift kit and some good tyres it is very capable whilst still economical..

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable

Out of your choices I would go for the Pajero Sport.

2 mates each have one (one of them doing a lot of overlanding with theirs) and both very happy with it.

Oh and welcome, and be ready to be offered tons of other options!
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

Hi Patrick

Interesting choice of vehicles. It will really depend on what type of overlanding you would like to do. This is the vehicle I thought of with all your requirements:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...o/3.2/25193525

• Spacious
    • Super reliable
    • Comfortable
    • Very good off road
    • Can fit a roof rack
    • Rather economical for an engine of that size
    • Easy day to day driving
    • Great for weekends away
    • Great for overlanding (especially 2 people)

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Andre
    Last edited by Fourie110; 2019/10/16 at 01:19 PM.
    2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by patrick79 View Post
    Hi 4x4 community,

I have had many laughs and enlightening moments reading threads here, so quite excited.
    Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the Forum! You are at the right place. I have learned loads of helpful stuff here.

My only contribution to the vehicle discussion is not to dismiss the capability of the diesels. They are such great over-landing vehicles, torque when it matters, great for trundling along some dusty road, which is what you do a lot of on a trip; but their better fuel consumption is the real advantage. And all of them can still cruise at 120km on the tar.
    PedroD

Toyota Prado TX 3.0D & Bush Lapa Boskriek

Have you considered a diesel Toyota Prado?
    You'll get something very nice for your budget and they come standard with dual fuel tanks (180l).

I also reckon this one, or the Pajero Sport (although personally I really dislike the shape of the older one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fourie110 View Post
    Hi Patrick

Interesting choice of vehicles. It will really depend on what type of overlanding you would like to do. This is the vehicle I thought of with all your requirements:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...o/3.2/25193525

• Spacious
    • Super reliable
    • Comfortable
    • Very good off road
    • Can fit a roof rack
    • Rather economical for an engine of that size
    • Easy day to day driving
    • Great for weekends away
    • Great for overlanding (especially 2 people)

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Andre

Pajero Pajero Pajero!

Look at a 3.2 SWB and remove the back seats if it is only two of you.

I was in exactly the same boat about a year ago with the same budget and ended up buying a Prado 120 petrol in immaculate condition for less than R200k. This leaves quite a bit of spare cash for fuel, accesories and maintenance. Used to have a gen 3 lwb pajero 3.2 as well. Both very easy to live with daily and should give you great service.
    Always take the slow road.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick79 View Post
    Hi 4x4 community,

I am looking for an overland vehicle that's also suitable for daily life use and weekend trips (I know it's going to be a compromise). My first overland trip will be Namibia and Botswana.

My requirements are
    * Max 2 people (for overlanding)
    * R260k max
    * Not super heavy on fuel (that's why I haven't considered any petrol V8's)
    * Reasonable costs in regards to maintenance, spares, depreciation, insurance
    * Mounting a roof rack with roof top tent, awning and possibly water/fuel tanks

After doing some research and test driving I ended up with the following options:

* Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 Overland CRD
    * Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d or V6 3.0d LE 4x4
    * Pajero Sport 2.5d or 3.2d GLS 4x4
    * Land Rover Discovery 3/4 SDv6 / TDv6

I know these cars are quite different from each other but all are capable enough (objections are welcome).

My impressions so far in a nutshell:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 Overland CRD:
    Strong engine, lots of features, value for bucks, stylish/modern, not much roof space, limited space inside, feels almost like a normal car to drive

Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d or V6 3.0d LE 4x4:
    Nice boxy look, space inside seems enough, 2.5d engine a bit weak, 3.0d is strong and smooth, no idea if there is a diff lock?, driving feels like a good compromise between road and off-road vehicle

Pajero Sport 2.5d or 3.2d GLS 4x4
    Has the most off-road feel out of the four cars (also regarding interior), you can definitely hear and feel you're driving a diesel , inside space limited but space for long roof rack, decent power, apparently very reliable engines, prices relatively high

Land Rover Discovery 3/4 SE (SDv6 / TDv6)
    Driving this car makes me feel like a boss , heavy and you can feel its height, strong engines, lots of features and gadgets, prices relatively high, huge interior

I was actually tending towards the WK2, because it's fun to drive and you get value for money. But I noticed that you can't really fit a long roof rack on it (i.e. the frontrunner one is 1560mm long, so not enough for a tent plus other stuff).

Do you guys have any additional information or know any (substantial) up or downsides regarding those vehicles?

Thanks, Patrick
    Welcome Patrick.

Only the vehicles 2 and 3 in your shortlist should be considered.

Good luck And happy travels!

Hi, and welcome to the forum. If you are not mechanically adept, stick with Toyota for travel outside the borders of South Africa.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

G Vitara: Bit cramped for overlanding (Kierie will disagree ); heavy on fuel and small fuel tank; spares/service if you travel in Africa;

But: Super reliable. Nice compact to drive. My choice would be a Paj. Sport. But do not scratch a DC from your list yet - go and drive a good one first!
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/10/16 at 03:50 PM.

I strongly urge you to buy the best Toyoto Prado you can afford. Preferably diesel.

If you have a strong bias against a Prado, then a Pajero diesel.

Then do not spend too much on modifications, especially on the suspension, until you have done a couple of longer trips to Namibia and Botswana and know what you must have.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast