Right fit for an overland newbie - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Right fit for an overland newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    G Vitara: Bit cramped for overlanding (Kierie will disagree ); heavy on fuel and small fuel tank; spares/service if you travel in Africa;

But: Super reliable. Nice compact to drive. My choice would be a Paj. Sport. But do not scratch a DC from your list yet - go and drive a good one first!
    Thanks! A mate drives a Grand Vitara and complains about the relatively high consumption as well. That's why I thought the V6 might be not even much worse ... But they are hard to find. Space is used very efficiently with the boot opening to the side and spare wheel at the back. Mhh...

DC as in Double Cap I guess, right?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick79 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fourie110 View Post
    Hi Patrick

Interesting choice of vehicles. It will really depend on what type of overlanding you would like to do. This is the vehicle I thought of with all your requirements:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...o/3.2/25193525

• Spacious
    • Super reliable
    • Comfortable
    • Very good off road
    • Can fit a roof rack
    • Rather economical for an engine of that size
    • Easy day to day driving
    • Great for weekends away
    • Great for overlanding (especially 2 people)

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Andre
    Hello,

This is solid advice from Andre. Specifically the Gen 4 Pajero with the 3.2 DIDc engine. This is where you will get the best value for your money and trouble free motoring. In mid 2010 they updated the motor slightly and gave it a bit more power and revised gear ratio's that helped keep consumption relatively low for such a big heavy car. They also have one of the best cargo capacities in the class (around 750kg I think). Like most modern 4wd vehicles they are a little low when standard but that makes perfect sense since most people will use them on tar where a lower center of gravity is preferred. I kept my Pajero standard regarding lifts (personal preference) and I've managed Bots no stress and done a few 4x4 trails like tierkloof without drama (& no damage, yet). If you're not one for fancy things then get the GLX for a lot less money (also has a rear diff-lock standard). The motor will take 500ppm no stress (but most of Southern Africa has 50ppm now). They're excellent on gravel and the super-select 4wd is top notch (one of the few that will allow you to drive in 2wd or 4wd on any surface due to a center diff-lock).

Don't be scared of Kilo's, just look for condition and try to get in touch with the previous owner. Any car can be ruined by poor maintenance.

Enjoy the search

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I strongly urge you to buy the best Toyoto Prado you can afford. Preferably diesel.

If you have a strong bias against a Prado, then a Pajero diesel.

Then do not spend too much on modifications, especially on the suspension, until you have done a couple of longer trips to Namibia and Botswana and know what you must have.
    Thanks! What's a reasonable milage when looking for a Prado?
    And for the Pajero you'd exclude the Pajero Sport?

Vehicles I’ve overlanded/toured in

Discovery 3 TDV6. Fantastic to drive, covered about 50k km in it. Lots of space can go anywhere and do anything. Maintenance for the 50k km without wear and tear items about R100k. left me stranded twice. Lately not going away much as all my traveling money going back in to the car and it is horrible traveling whilst worrying what is going to break next.
    Touareg 2.5 diesel with the off road package. Also about 50k km traveled. Best car I ever owned. As capable is the Discovery off road and better on road. Hardly any issues up until the turbo and Engine blew up on one of my trips.
    Jeep Cherokee 2.4 Sport. About 30km traveled. Replacing the clutch the only real expense, apart from that, rock solid go anywhere. Obviously not same comfort as the previous 2 but the reliability and peace of mind almost made up for it.
    Go big Isuzu 2.5 sc 4x4. About 70k km traveled. Never had any issues. No worries and can go and do what any 4x4 can, just at a slightly slower pace…Should have never sold t.
    2002 Honda CRV. Last but not least. About 60k km traveled. Most hassle free vehicle ever owned. Never worried about anything breaking. Not as capable as the rest so had to really push it to get the most out of it. “not that great an awd system”. But then again. Took it places where I would never dare taking my Discovery…Probably my most enjoyable over-landing vehicle.

I don’t like trailers and with only Roof racks I never really had any space issues. So basically over-landing and what vehicle is right for you can sometimes be a bit of a hit and miss situation. Over time, reliability for me has become the major criteria, so when having to choose between reliability and Comfort/space, I would choose reliability. As soon as I can get rid of my tdv6 will be getting a low mileage Grand Vitara..

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable
    1996 Suzuki Samurai - work in progress

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philip72 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philip72 View Post
    Vehicles I’ve overlanded/toured in

Discovery 3 TDV6. Fantastic to drive, covered about 50k km in it. Lots of space can go anywhere and do anything. Maintenance for the 50k km without wear and tear items about R100k. left me stranded twice. Lately not going away much as all my traveling money going back in to the car and it is horrible traveling whilst worrying what is going to break next.
    Touareg 2.5 diesel with the off road package. Also about 50k km traveled. Best car I ever owned. As capable is the Discovery off road and better on road. Hardly any issues up until the turbo and Engine blew up on one of my trips.
    Jeep Cherokee 2.4 Sport. About 30km traveled. Replacing the clutch the only real expense, apart from that, rock solid go anywhere. Obviously not same comfort as the previous 2 but the reliability and peace of mind almost made up for it.
    Go big Isuzu 2.5 sc 4x4. About 70k km traveled. Never had any issues. No worries and can go and do what any 4x4 can, just at a slightly slower pace…Should have never sold t.
    2002 Honda CRV. Last but not least. About 60k km traveled. Most hassle free vehicle ever owned. Never worried about anything breaking. Not as capable as the rest so had to really push it to get the most out of it. “not that great an awd system”. But then again. Took it places where I would never dare taking my Discovery…Probably my most enjoyable over-landing vehicle.

I don’t like trailers and with only Roof racks I never really had any space issues. So basically over-landing and what vehicle is right for you can sometimes be a bit of a hit and miss situation. Over time, reliability for me has become the major criteria, so when having to choose between reliability and Comfort/space, I would choose reliability. As soon as I can get rid of my tdv6 will be getting a low mileage Grand Vitara..

Thanks Philip72, that's some very valuable information!
    How can one identify that a Touareg has the off-road package?

I am surprised the the FJ cruiser wasn't suggested

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhorn For This Useful Post:

Toyota prado 120 v6. Dad had one from 50 000km to 460 000km. Survived the school run for many years, December trips, 1-2 overland trips yearly, one weekend a month farm trips, 3 learners.

Heavy on fuel(6-7km/l) but a simply brilliant vehicle.

PS this is coming from a die hard landy Fan.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Hello,

This is solid advice from Andre. Specifically the Gen 4 Pajero with the 3.2 DIDc engine. This is where you will get the best value for your money and trouble free motoring. In mid 2010 they updated the motor slightly and gave it a bit more power and revised gear ratio's that helped keep consumption relatively low for such a big heavy car. They also have one of the best cargo capacities in the class (around 750kg I think). Like most modern 4wd vehicles they are a little low when standard but that makes perfect sense since most people will use them on tar where a lower center of gravity is preferred. I kept my Pajero standard regarding lifts (personal preference) and I've managed Bots no stress and done a few 4x4 trails like tierkloof without drama (& no damage, yet). If you're not one for fancy things then get the GLX for a lot less money (also has a rear diff-lock standard). The motor will take 500ppm no stress (but most of Southern Africa has 50ppm now). They're excellent on gravel and the super-select 4wd is top notch (one of the few that will allow you to drive in 2wd or 4wd on any surface due to a center diff-lock).

Don't be scared of Kilo's, just look for condition and try to get in touch with the previous owner. Any car can be ruined by poor maintenance.

Enjoy the search
    I concur but with the caveat that I cannot comment on the other brands therefore have a subjective opinion.

I've owned a 09 Pajero GLX for three years now and the car amazes me every day, in every way. Unplanned maintenance was a wheel bearing hub that was 5K over this period and that in itself was a rather uncommon thing to happen I was told. The car is almost on 290 thousand kilometers. I could go on and on about the plus points on the Paj but reliability is unquestioned, which for me if I had to overland which we don't would be the most important thing. I suspect Prado owners will feel the same about their cars.

As an aside, I also own a Triton with the same 3.2DiD engine which has done 307 thousand kilometers, during the almost 9 years I did injectors ( dodgy fuel over the years I suspect) and clutch which in total was 30K or thereabouts.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    I concur but with the caveat that I cannot comment on the other brands therefore have a subjective opinion.

I've owned a 09 Pajero GLX for three years now and the car amazes me every day, in every way. Unplanned maintenance was a wheel bearing hub that was 5K over this period and that in itself was a rather uncommon thing to happen I was told. The car is almost on 290 thousand kilometers. I could go on and on about the plus points on the Paj but reliability is unquestioned, which for me if I had to overland which we don't would be the most important thing. I suspect Prado owners will feel the same about their cars.

As an aside, I also own a Triton with the same 3.2DiD engine which has done 307 thousand kilometers, during the almost 9 years I did injectors ( dodgy fuel over the years I suspect) and clutch which in total was 30K or thereabouts.

Hi Riaan,

I've enjoyed reading many of your contributions to the forum over the years, thanks for all the informative stuff it helped me a ton. Absolutely agree that a Prado owner will feel the same and justifiably so, they are fantastic vehicles and consummate overlanders. I only don't mention it as given the budget a good clean LC150 with decent mileage may be hard to find?

Cheers
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2019/10/16 at 09:46 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

I might have a look at these three beauties today

2010 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di - Dc Glx A/t 140kW
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/4080515/

2013 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D GLS
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...amley/5283237/

2009 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di - Dc Glx A/t
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...lburg/4474873/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick79 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    ... stick with Toyota for travel outside the borders of South Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I strongly urge you to buy the best Toyoto Prado you can afford. Preferably diesel.

If you have a strong bias against a Prado, then a Pajero diesel.

Then do not spend too much on modifications, especially on the suspension, until you have done a couple of longer trips to Namibia and Botswana and know what you must have.
    I would listen to these two gentlemen.

Had a Pajero long ago, glad I got rid of it.

My first option would be a Prado 150 diesel as suggested by Stan. It is the absolute perfect vehicle to live with on a daily basis as well as overlander. The big diesel tank is a great feature for long overlanding distances, together with comfort and space. It is overland capable without any mods except AT tyres. Problem is for your price range Prado 150 diesels are scarce and old. Petrol you will find easily, but they are heavy on juice. Don't touch a Prado 120 diesel. There are Prado 120 petrols in you price range, but they are also old and getting one in really good condition might proof a struggle.

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...ndton/5138925/

My second choice after a Prado 150, would be a run in the mill Fortuner. Yes I know every o-ring and his brother has one, but there are reasons for that.

Going north of the borders, Toyota is king. Landrover strong second.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/10/17 at 08:34 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

When I was in your situation as a newbie in overlanding I wanted to get a Pajero. I tested the Discovery3 and was amazed by the vehicle. I ended up going up and down Africa in it. It was brand new and did not give me any issues. I am not sure I would chose the same for a 10 years old D3.
    I had Pajeros in West and East Africa without any issues at all. I have not driven the Pajero sport.
    You want a vehicle you will trust because you will learn to live with it and you will also decide with your heart! In overlanding the journey is part of the adventure, lake sure you have a smile on your face when you drive!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by patrick79 View Post
    * R260k max
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I am surprised the the FJ cruiser wasn't suggested
    Maybe the price range? I love my FJ but I get that it is not everybody's cup of tea...

If you could find one with a long range tank within your budget, you will have a very capable 4x4 perfect for 2 and dirt cheap to maintain. Diesels are great but a lot more unforgiving than petrol if it was not well maintained...
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Landrover strong second.
    And by this you obviously don't mean Discovery 5 or Range Rover Evoque...........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Pajero's were not on my radar at all, now I am a diehard fan. However, as a daily driver any big 4x4 is going to chew into your budget. I would consider the Nissan and the Pajero sport as a good compromise.

Pity the Trailblazer is no longer supported, I would have had that on the list.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by patrick79 View Post
    I might have a look at these three beauties today

2010 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di - Dc Glx A/t 140kW
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/4080515/

2013 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D GLS
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...amley/5283237/

2009 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di - Dc Glx A/t
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...lburg/4474873/
    Especially the last two. Ooooh... The first one sorta looks like it had a hard life.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

The Suzuki GV V6 is a very reliable car no doubt about it. My dad owns one and it is fairly good off-road although a lift kit should be on your list of modifications unless you want to leave the rear bumper behind somewhere. If there is one complaint about this vehicle it would be fuel consumption in 4wd low range. It will easily use 25L+ per 100KM in soft sand and with a very small tank capacity ferrying extra fuel becomes a necessity, infringing on the already limited packing space. Don't however for one second think any other petrol driven 4x4 will do much better in terms of fuel consumption.

In terms of looking for a reliable SUV for R260k you should maybe look at less popular but still respected brands. You will get a vehicle in better condition with fewer miles on it. The Pajero Sport on your list is one example of such a vehicle.

Then, go and test drive as many vehicles as you can. Remain objective through the process and if something seems off about any particular vehicle, walk away, there will be a vehicle that is right for you.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    The Suzuki GV V6 is a very reliable car no doubt about it. My dad owns one and it is fairly good off-road although a lift kit should be on your list of modifications unless you want to leave the rear bumper behind somewhere. If there is one complaint about this vehicle it would be fuel consumption in 4wd low range. It will easily use 25L+ per 100KM in soft sand and with a very small tank capacity ferrying extra fuel becomes a necessity, infringing on the already limited packing space. Don't however for one second think any other petrol driven 4x4 will do much better in terms of fuel consumption.

In terms of looking for a reliable SUV for R260k you should maybe look at less popular but still respected brands. You will get a vehicle in better condition with fewer miles on it. The Pajero Sport on your list is one example of such a vehicle.

Then, go and test drive as many vehicles as you can. Remain objective through the process and if something seems off about any particular vehicle, walk away, there will be a vehicle that is right for you.
    Agree. All brands start giving issues over 200k km, especially diesel vehicles. That is more or less when you have to start looking and replacing or reconditioning pricey items like injectors, diffs, alternators etc. Some peeps are lucky and can squeeze a few more km's out of it.
    Myself prefer a slightly less complicated vehicle that would be newer with less km, just for peace of mind. One of the reasons that I never buy used Toyotas.

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip72 View Post
    Myself prefer a slightly less complicated vehicle that would be newer with less km, just for peace of mind. One of the reasons that I never buy used Toyotas.
    I'd argue that a 70 series LC with the 4.2D is probably the best overlander ever made. And you have a D3? How does that fit less complicated?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'd argue that a 70 series LC with the 4.2D is probably the best overlander ever made. And you have a D3? How does that fit less complicated?
    Owned a 70 series for a week. Worst driving experience I ever had.. Don't want another one for free. The ride was just to hard..If you read all the comments you will see that I'm advising the good man to stay away from Discovery at all cost..

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast