Snomaster vs Dometic (80l)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Snomaster vs Dometic (80l)

I am currently in the market for a camping fridge/freezer(family of 4 so need the bigger capacity capsule). I have been keeping a keen eye on the prices via Takealot and these two seem to be chopping and changing position on the affordability scale. My question is simply which one is a better buy?

I have read that Dometic could be power hungry, is this true? I know the Snomaster is quite well known and has received great reviews locally but the Dometic seems to get these same level of reviews from the Aussies, their conditions also being quite extreme! With Black friday approaching I want to be ready to snap up any potential deals that surface so I would like the opinion of forum members which route to take(alot)!

Hopefully no popcorn required for this thread....

Default Re: Snomaster vs Dometic (80l)

Todays Takealot prices...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dometic cf80.PNG 
Views:	138 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	544400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snomaster 80l.PNG 
Views:	130 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	544401  

The cf range are more power hungry as it's older technology. You would need to compare the cfx to the snomaster. Cfx is lighter to carry, the snomaster is cheaper on the wallet.

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. That Dometic has been on special with Takealot since forever it seems. My experience with review reading on the Dometic was that it is a fridge with a bit of a knit one slip one reputation. It might just be a numbers game but there were a LOT of negative reviews with the Dometic as well as some positives. I went with the Snomaster based on it's reputation both online as well as from mates who already run them. I also had concerns with local support for the Dometic.

For what it is worth, I settled on the 65L Low Profile Fridge from Snomaster (to fit on top of the drawersystem). Build quality is good (Definately some Chinees design influences visible!), latches and hinges are sturdy, gimmicks are more than just for [email protected] and giggles (Bottle opener and remote) and are well built as well. Went from 22C to -18C in just over an hour and dropped 6C in an hour after I switched it off. Will give it a proper test in the back of the Hilux in Free State summer cfonditions this weekend.

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

I have been running the Waeco CF50 for many years and have had no issues what so ever.
    Waeco and Dometic are the same I believe.

Based on certain threads on this forum, there seems to be very good after sales service in major centres in SA.
    I have not had to engage with the after sales teams so cannot confirm this.

I am in the same predicament as Craig. Would a dual zone not be an better buy?
    I have an 40lt fridge, now my choice is buy another 40/50lt for deep freeze or sell mine and buy one large.

With a single fridge(whatever size) single compartment is great for weekends, however longer period and overlanding what do you do for freezing or fridge depending on what it is set on?

My questions are
    is one large fridge better for consumption of power (dual zone/compressor)
    or 2 small fridges.

I have a NL 90Lt twin and a snomaster 60Lt single. As nice as the twin is its big, very big. But saying that, it's a lot smaller than 2 x 40Lt units. Power consumption is more on the twin but that is understandable. I set mine to - 18 at home for a week prior to trip (loaded), when we get to camp this is changed to - 4, unless we have 220v that is

In the same boat Have seen better deals on the Demotic in the past. Dependent on how good the deals will be on black Friday. I believe that most big brands will do the job.

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    I am in the same predicament as Craig. Would a dual zone not be an better buy?
    I have an 40lt fridge, now my choice is buy another 40/50lt for deep freeze or sell mine and buy one large.

With a single fridge(whatever size) single compartment is great for weekends, however longer period and overlanding what do you do for freezing or fridge depending on what it is set on?

My questions are
    is one large fridge better for consumption of power (dual zone/compressor)
    or 2 small fridges.

One fridge is better than 2 in terms of consumption - only one compressor to run.

Thanks for the input, its a tough choice. The CFX range is a lot harder on the budget.... so not really an option! I have a long BF shopping list, new tents, Freezer and a cot or 4 are all on the list. I'm hoping to stretch that budget as far as possible!

Is is understandable that A budget is at play, however also remember the term school fees. Buy once and correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Van der Poll View Post
    Thanks for the input, its a tough choice. The CFX range is a lot harder on the budget.... so not really an option! I have a long BF shopping list, new tents, Freezer and a cot or 4 are all on the list. I'm hoping to stretch that budget as far as possible!
    Pity you are in CT. Close to ORT, you could have done all of your shopping within a few kilometers - Tentco and Snomaster - all on Black Friday. Sorry, useless info.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Pity you are in CT. Close to ORT, you could have done all of your shopping within a few kilometers - Tentco and Snomaster - all on Black Friday. Sorry, useless info.
    We have Outdoor Wharehouse so I am looking between them and Takealot, but I have friends in the big smoke so nothing is impossible!

A fridge/ freezer is a big investment.

When I eventually took the plunge the deciding factors were:
    Budget
    Space
    Standard accessories
    Guarantee
    Easy access to service centre

These all go hand in hand. For instance I could buy a NL for the same price as the similarly sized Snomaster but I would have needed to spend more (a lot) for baskets and a cover which were standard equipment on the Snomaster. Both companies have great guarantees and for both back-up service was available within 50KM from my house. In the end the standard accessories as well as the remote monitoring capability of the Snomaster won out.

I bought the BD/C 95 expedition series which is a large unit with two compartments that can be individually set to your requirements. It doesn't really matter which compartment you choose to use in which way and it will in my experience maintain a 12 deg C difference between the two compartments very well. The baskets are well thought out and an absolute pleasure to use as you can easily compartmentalise different foodstuffs.

I have used my unit on just about every trip since then even though I rarely camp. The convenience of having a proper fridge/ freezer available at all times is something you won't miss until you have had the opportunity to have had one. Many times the fridges you find in accommodation are simply not up to standard, then, like in Mozambique there are times where power outages last many hours. My favourite use however is for keeping drinks cool once at my destination. The adaptability of these units and the fact they are very good at cooling very quickly means warm beer is no longer an issue. They cope really well with high ambient temperatures and personally I have never experienced issues with the unit maintaining set temperatures even in 40 Deg C heat.

There are a few caveats to consider as well. Large units are heavy and take up a lot of space. I always load the fridge onto my vehicle first and then load the baskets filled with provisions, likewise when I arrive at my destination, I offload the baskets before the fridge. Wiring is crucial, it is unlikely your vehicle's standard 12V sockets are really up to the task. Voltage drop across small diameter wiring can be a real pain and cause all sorts of issues when it comes to the automatic cut-out function.
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

I had a 60l snomaster, a 40l kellerman, 15l weaco, and still have 20l and 25l dometics, another 15l weaco as the one was replaced under warranty, a 80 engel and 2 x 90 NL. 1 20l dometic now is broken down. Sold the snomaster due to issues. Sold the 40l kelleman to friend that wanted it, and replaced it with a 25l dometic.

My preference thus: engel, NL, kellerman, dometic/weaco, nomaster
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/10/16 at 01:34 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    Is is understandable that A budget is at play, however also remember the term school fees. Buy once and correct.
    Yes, penny wise and pound foolish!

what would you recommend?

AFAIK, the 2 brands I have mentioned have great reputations for reliability. The only other unit I have seen readily available is National Luna and their pricing is quite restrictive.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Van der Poll For This Useful Post:

also What effect does the outer material have on keeping/dissipating heat effectively. Aluminium is great for cooling down quickly, as where Stainless keeps it heat and transfers. Plastic would also surely be better that Stainless. I know the most important part of the fridge is the thickness of the insulation, but would alu/plastic(waeco/dometic) not be better in warm conditions? Does the blanket/cover really work

Why is National Luna not being considered ??
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Van der Poll View Post
    Yes, penny wise and pound foolish!

what would you recommend?

AFAIK, the 2 brands I have mentioned have great reputations for reliability. The only other unit I have seen readily available is National Luna and their pricing is quite restrictive.
    I agree on the 2 brands. Both good.

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    I had a 60l snomaster, a 40l kellerman, 15l weaco, and still have 20l and 25l dometics, another 15l weaco as the one was replaced under warranty, a 80 engel and 2 x 90 NL. 1 20l dometic now is broken down. Sold the snomaster due to issues. Sold the 40l kelleman to friend that wanted it, and replaced it with a 25l dometic.

My preference thus: engel, NL, kellerman, dometic/weaco, nomaster
    Thanks for the info, real world experience with products is irreplaceable!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast