Land Cruisers too uneconomical?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Land Cruisers too uneconomical?

I grew up and drove hundreds of thousands of km in LC.
    Today I took my bakkie in for the 160k km service. Nothing broken, only service,..... R10000.
    Its returning 7,3km per liter and I service here every 5000km.

I absolutely love them, but I feel its time for me to move to something a bit more economical.
    Weighing up the fun and reliability against the cost doesn't make sense no more.

The new Hilux or upcoming DMax might be the answer?

Maybe LC doesn't belong on tarred roads at all? Only working in the bush and mines. Maybe thats the only way we would see an reason to still buy them?

Default Re: Land Cruisers too uneconomical?

Cruisers are great, but they cost way too much, in SA at least, and their maintenance has always been through the roof. I don’t know how Toyota stays the top seller in SA, because it’s not just the cruiser, everything they sell is insanely expensive to run.

all the jokes about reliability etc etc aside, I have over the years on a few occasions found myself in charge of managing fleets of game viewers, lodge/reserve vehicles. We always had Defenders and cruisers operating side by side, so the operating conditions were identical. Defenders total cost/km over the life of the vehicle is about half that of a 70 series cruiser.

but, that said, the time between breakdowns was slightly better with the cruisers.

if you service your cruiser at Toyota, you are going to get smoked. I am still trying to understand why they insist on changing the wheel bearings every 10 000km or something ridiculous. They run timken bearings, which are deemed good for 100k km by pretty much every other manufacturer (obviously assuming you don’t drive in 3 foot deep mud and dirt everyday). The last cruiser I had serviced that was still under warranty and had to be done at Toyota, I think they charged us 13k for the bearings alone

Stay away from the dealers then , surely . I go to the dealer when there is absolutely no other option . A few examples Merc CLS strut failure , dealers R45000 repaired for R8000 , Merc C240 alternator failure , dealers R14000 , repaired for R600 . BMW 518i service light failure , dealers R12000 , repaired for R30 . Dealers LOVE a client that buys into their hype & pays up regardless
    Are Land Cruisers any different from any other brand ?? I'll be able to answer that question myself not too long from now I guess
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2019/10/16 at 03:51 AM.
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

I change oil and filter every 15kkm.
    I also have a UDF filter in the diesel line.

This is the cheapest vehicle to run, that I have had in a long time.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I did not know this

Which LCs are we talking about here? The new big luxury Cruiser of the 70s etc?
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Personally, I feel that the dealers in general exploit the clients.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

I'm a HUGE LC fan

But yes, they are very expensive to buy and run, definitely at least till the Warranty runs out.

Bought a 2017 Revo in January, sold it at 91000km in January 2019......NO service cost with the Maintenance Plan, the Car drove better/faster/quieter than any 70 Series, and is around 10 km/litre versus around (average use)...…….make that sum over 90 000 km use, the Cost To You or your Business

Apart from fuel used - on the Revo (example) I got 9 Free Services. The 70 doesn't have any of that, you pay out of pocket, of which the hub service is every 40 000 km.

BUT...…….At 200 000 km or so, I'd rather have the Cruiser, when I can choose where to service, and I think breakdowns on the Cruiser then would be less than on the Revo.

I'm taking the Revo just as example.

But yes, the 70 will ALWAYS sell, either to someone like me who doesn't really need that load capacity etc etc, but I just want to drive one...…...or to the farmer or company or individual who just place the 70's strong pints above anything else, and MUST have all those attributes.

Finally...……..at the end of the day, if you come drive my old 75 (1HZ) at 676000km, and you feel how solid that still is, ……. well, yes, the 70 Cruiser IS one phenomenally reliable vehicle.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I did not know this

Which LCs are we talking about here? The new big luxury Cruiser of the 70s etc?
    I had a 76 V8 for a year. From Feb 2018 to Feb 2019, I drove 41000km in that year. The servicing alone for that year cost me R 31 000.00

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    of which the hub service is every 40 000 km.

every 20 000

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Petri, I totally hear where you are coming from. But LC especially the 70 series, was never intended as a luxury or recreational vehicle. It is a work horse. And that is where they properly shine.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Both my Cruisers are cheaper to service than the VW bus Swambo had. I think the wheel bearing thing on the Cruiser is prevention by Toyota for water contamination.

The Wheel bearings are the same used in the 60 Series Cruisers and SFA Hiluxes. On these older models there were no 20k km bearing service intervals. I have done the bearing thing on both Cruisers. The bearings were still as good as new. Put in new bearings and used Total Ceran HV grease. A grease that is water resistant. Will only look at the bearings after a 100k km again.

But yes servicing at the dealers are ridiculously expensive.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    every 20 000
    An example of the hype dealers peddle
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Petri, I totally hear where you are coming from. But LC especially the 70 series, was never intended as a luxury or recreational vehicle. It is a work horse. And that is where they properly shine.
    Exactly Henri

If I buy a new V8 Pickup today, it would be for the "hype"......it feels good, sounds good, looks good, I'll feel like this billionaire Brahman Boer whose Bell and Bentley are both in for a service. I'll NEVER load anything more than maybe 2 offroad bikes on it, not even think about taking it up a rocky Lesotho Pass.

You for example will buy it for TOTALLY different reasons...….as will Christo (if I may grips), as will a farmer, contract worker, Eskom, etc etc etc.

I'm offering my Prado V6 up for sale...…..want to buy something else. And most prolly a V8 76.

Why?? Sommer net, ek like hom. Hy ry slegter as die Prado op die langpad, hys duurder, hys kleiner, diens is duur en nog 'n honderd ander negatives......…..MAAR as ek moet kies tussen hom en die Prado vir daai occasional lang gravel trip of trail?? 76 - all the way, x 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I think the wheel bearing thing on the Cruiser is prevention by Toyota for water contamination.

The Wheel bearings are the same used in the 60 Series Cruisers and SFA Hiluxes. On these older models there were no 20k km bearing service intervals. I have done the bearing thing on both Cruisers. The bearings were still as good as new. Put in new bearings and used Total Ceran HV grease. A grease that is water resistant. Will only look at the bearings after a 100k km again.

You will need to forgive my ignorance as my exposure is limited to watching 4WD Action. Is the wheel bearing due to the lockable hubs that always seem to go bang during these shows? Water gets in from there?
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    You will need to forgive my ignorance as my exposure is limited to watching 4WD Action. Is the wheel bearing due to the lockable hubs that always seem to go bang during these shows? Water gets in from there?
    and what are the other implications of the bearing failing? what else does it destroy, like hubs and axle tubes and shafts?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Both my Cruisers are cheaper to service than the VW bus Swambo had. I think the wheel bearing thing on the Cruiser is prevention by Toyota for water contamination.

I think this is the point...….IF you can do maintenance yourself then LC Ownership is not that hectic. Obviously after it is out of Warranty.

Christo I think a used high miler Aston Martin is cheaper to run than a Kombi...…..vra my ek weet

I went to test drive a 2011 Patrol yesterday. 4800 GRX. I was so tempted to just get it. But then I went through all of this in my head about running costs and maintaining an old vehicle again. Cant see myself giving up a ranger with 20k on for a 8 year old patrol with 108k and no warranty. if I had a spare R300k I would have bought it as well, but not trade it. I have 3 years warranty and 4 years free services left on the ranger. Will have to struggle ahead with the conqueror and the ranger.....
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

I tried one hilux on the farm and went back to LC. Bumpers , cover plates, CV rubber boots had to be replaced. None of that on the cruiser. I used a 1Hz on the farm and only took it every 40k km for a service, in between I did myself.. oil chance, filters and grease.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/10/16 at 06:55 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    I'm a HUGE LC fan

But yes, they are very expensive to buy and run, definitely at least till the Warranty runs out.

Bought a 2017 Revo in January, sold it at 91000km in January 2019......NO service cost with the Maintenance Plan, the Car drove better/faster/quieter than any 70 Series, and is around 10 km/litre versus around (average use)...…….make that sum over 90 000 km use, the Cost To You or your Business

Apart from fuel used - on the Revo (example) I got 9 Free Services. The 70 doesn't have any of that, you pay out of pocket, of which the hub service is every 40 000 km.

BUT...…….At 200 000 km or so, I'd rather have the Cruiser, when I can choose where to service, and I think breakdowns on the Cruiser then would be less than on the Revo.

I'm taking the Revo just as example.

But yes, the 70 will ALWAYS sell, either to someone like me who doesn't really need that load capacity etc etc, but I just want to drive one...…...or to the farmer or company or individual who just place the 70's strong pints above anything else, and MUST have all those attributes.

Finally...……..at the end of the day, if you come drive my old 75 (1HZ) at 676000km, and you feel how solid that still is, ……. well, yes, the 70 Cruiser IS one phenomenally reliable vehicle.
    I once told the story about two farmer brothers. The one bought a 4.2 diesel Cruiser the other an Isuzu bakkie. The brother with the Isuzu were on his 4th Isuzu while the 4.2 Cruiser soldiered on.

Yes without a maintenance plan Cruisers are expensive. My son owns a 2.8 GD6 that has free services and gives 11km/l on average. Way cheaper to run than a Cruiser. I bought the Cruisers with long term ownership in mind. I think Cruisers start paying for themselves past 100k km.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    I went to test drive a 2011 Patrol yesterday. 4800 GRX. I was so tempted to just get it. But then I went through all of this in my head about running costs and maintaining an old vehicle again. Cant see myself giving up a ranger with 20k on for a 8 year old patrol with 108k and no warranty. if I had a spare R300k I would have bought it as well, but not trade it. I have 3 years warranty and 4 years free services left on the ranger. Will have to struggle ahead with the conqueror and the ranger.....
    I wouldn't pay R300k for a 4.8GRX anyway.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast