Discovery 4 Out of ideas... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Out of ideas...

Default Re: Out of ideas...

Simple question,is the aircleaner element new?
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Might sound stupid, but perhaps swop out the sensors woth your friends Disco? Process of elimination.

And have the cats(dpf's) removed and install mini cats, if needed.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Default Re: Out of ideas...Resolved.

4 different workshops, 2 primary turbos , set of injectors , cross over valve , boost pipes , vacuum hoses , body off 4 times , intercooler , ECU software change x 3 , intake manifolds and countless man hours spent...….the problem is 1 gasket worth a few bucks.What I now know is that the previous owner had both turbos removed and reconditioned after a primary turbo failure. In this process the secondary turbo was reconditioned but never assembled correctly to turbo shut off valve. The technician failed to insert a gasket between the shut off valve and the turbo. Without this gasket exhaust flow is not fully directed to the primary turbo under 2500RPM and instead bleeds off into exhaust system. So the lack of sufficient exhaust pressure/flow being directed to primary turbo prevented turbo from spooling up to potential, hence lack of power under 2500RPM. New gasket now fitted and vehicle drives like a dream. Live and learn. Thanks for the input guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200112_140642_resized.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	554478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200112_140711_resized.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	347.5 KB 
ID:	554479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200114_163453_resized.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	554480  
    Discovery3 TDV6 Freelander II Discovery II Defender 110

Quote Originally Posted by AntonRabe View Post
    4 different workshops, 2 primary turbos , set of injectors , cross over valve , boost pipes , vacuum hoses , body off 4 times , intercooler , ECU software change x 3 , intake manifolds and countless man hours spent...….the problem is 1 gasket worth a few bucks.What I now know is that the previous owner had both turbos removed and reconditioned after a primary turbo failure. In this process the secondary turbo was reconditioned but never assembled correctly to turbo shut off valve. The technician failed to insert a gasket between the shut off valve and the turbo. Without this gasket exhaust flow is not fully directed to the primary turbo under 2500RPM and instead bleeds off into exhaust system. So the lack of sufficient exhaust pressure/flow being directed to primary turbo prevented turbo from spooling up to potential, hence lack of power under 2500RPM. New gasket now fitted and vehicle drives like a dream. Live and learn. Thanks for the input guys.
    Damn, how much did that troubleshooting exercise cost approx?

Thumbs up Re: Out of ideas...

Well done Anton
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    2015 Hyundai IX 35 Limited Edition

Glad you got it sortedSuch things can really drive one mad!!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Well done! I would have given up mainly because im not mechanically inclined or have time or patience..but i can see you had all 3!
    Last edited by Shade; 2020/01/17 at 04:29 PM.
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

thanks for the feedback. thats crazy

Hats of to you and your perseverance, and sharing it with us, you may just have saved someone else from going through this in future.

These things happen!BIL had his LC70 gearbox overhauled in Bots @R25000.They forgot to fit a seal resulting that when reaching RSA(Paarl) box was fubar again!!Some more R25000...sorry!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Damn, how much did that troubleshooting exercise cost approx?
    I haven't kept record of all expenditures and approached the concern a little with my head in the sand, not really wanting to know what the rand value end result was. Also, the previous owner's expenditure is included in my summary. I'm told he spent about 75K before giving up. Myself, perhaps about...… let's leave it as enough.
    Discovery3 TDV6 Freelander II Discovery II Defender 110

I haven't kept record of all expenditures and approached the concern a little with my head in the sand, not really wanting to know what the rand value end result was. Also, the previous owner's expenditure is included in my summary. I'm told he spent about 75K before giving up. Myself, perhaps about...… let's leave it as enough.
    Well this one is now tied to the hip...until death do us part!
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

On the bright side. At least your vehicle has had a thorough inspection with some new bits.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2