Badger semi-flex panels





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    212

    Default Badger semi-flex panels

    This post is to warn anyone in the market for solar panels not to make the mistake I did.

    See alarming photo below, taken after 10 months.

    I sent the photo and receipt to 4x4 direct yesterday afternoon.

    Got a call from their Boksburg branch this morning.

    They explained that there is a protective plastic coating over the panels to protect them during shipping and installation, this should have been peeled off by me.

    In my defence, there was nothing in the instructions about this protective film.

    Nonetheless, the manufacturer is prepared to replace with new units, I just have to take them to the nearest 4x4 direct branch for a straight swap.

    Now they would have been well within their rights to say sorry, you should have peeled off the protective film.

    This is pretty impressive customer service and as for the panels themselves, they work extremely well. Even under full cloud cover, with fridge running and stuff charging off the aux battery, they charge at a rate faster than the current draw.
    I have an iverter and even working with power tools and running water pumps, I have never seen the battery SOC less than 11.8, and the SOC climbs fast afterwards.


    I am very happy with this product and very pleased about the way my issue was handled.

    I would highly recommend the Badger semi-flex but PEEL OFF THE PROTECTIVE FILM AFTER INSTALLATION (!!)

    :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,803

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Sjoe! Well, OK. Fortunately for you no school fees...
    ZS6VL


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,670

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Is the panel damaged or the protective plastic layer?
    Can you just peel off the protective layer?
    Touareg V10
    KTM 1290 Super Adventure R

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18,584

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderGear View Post
    Is the panel damaged or the protective plastic layer?
    Can you just peel off the protective layer?
    I suspect that the protective layer is now about 3000 little protective layer pieces now, each of which would need to be removed with a tweezer.

    Looks like the protective layer cracked and fell apart in the sun.

    I suspect that "cracked glass" effect is the protective layer in its new state.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/10/15 at 04:36 PM.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town - RSA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,657

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    oh that's great news - from your other thread I had just written these off.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I suspect that the protective layer is now about 3000 little protective layer pieces now, each of which would need to be removed with a tweezer.

    Looks like the protective layer cracked and fell apart in the sun.

    I suspect that "cracked glass" effect is the protective layer in its new state.
    Fluffy, 100% on the first 2.
    The cracked glass effect is the pristine panel underneath showing through.

    To answer Spidergear's questions: 1) the panels are not damaged, under all of that bubbling, cracking and peeling they are fine. 2) intact and new, I'm sure it would have peeled of easily as a complete sheet, in it's current state, not possible - it's kind of melted on, hence the offer to exchange from 4x4 direct.

    Quicksilver, your being put off by this is the reason for this post (and anyone else being put off for that matter), this is an excellent product, hell, they even still work in that state!

    I've bought a lot of stuff through 4x4 direct with no issues so my confidence in them was already high.
    I got the impression that they know how to evaluate items before putting them on the shelf and so don't sell anything that is crap.
    I never expected an immediate offer to exchange these panels and as a result of this, so am now very impressed with their after-sales service as well.

    Hopefully they will start putting a sticker on these panels saying 'remove protective film after installation' so anyone who has'nt seen this thread does'nt get caught out!

    edit: ps, that wavy effect on the shiny part is the reflection of my roll-up garage door!
    Last edited by Lxv; 2019/10/15 at 05:42 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,100

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Perhaps its just me but I would have thought since it was your mistake you would have graciously met the supplier at least half-way and not accepted or fully accepted the replacement.

    Kudos to the supplier though
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

    2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

    Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18,584

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Perhaps its just me but I would have thought since it was your mistake you would have graciously met the supplier at least half-way and not accepted or fully accepted the replacement.

    Kudos to the supplier though
    Naw, itís just you.

    I would have asked to keep the faulty one, honestly, what are they going to do with it.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Perhaps its just me but I would have thought since it was your mistake you would have graciously met the supplier at least half-way and not accepted or fully accepted the replacement.

    Kudos to the supplier though
    Hell no!
    I suspect that you are being ironic but in case you aren't: I would have needed to be psychic to know about the protective layer (and it turns out that I am not the first, according to 4x4 direct).
    I have pointed 4x4 direct at this thread and it's my guess that the Badger semi flexible solar panels now carry a sticker saying remove protecive film.
    Fluffy, I did ask that exact question and came away without an answer.
    Damn things are going to be destroyed by the removal process, it's going to be a challenge to present 2 intact panels!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,410

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post
    .....................
    Damn things are going to be destroyed by the removal process, it's going to be a challenge to present 2 intact panels!
    How did you mount them?

    I know from one of the 4x4 Iveco forums in Oz that many had problems with flexible panels (not sure if they were "semi-flex"). They ended with broken tracks. It seemed that this was from some movement ("flapping") of the panels when mobile. These panels were glued to a surface - obviously not glued over 100% of the area


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,054

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    The general recommendation is not to mount them, rather that they be deployed when you get to site.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mossel Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    917

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    I ordered a lot of stuff from 4x4 Direct two weeks ago for the first time and the service and the prices were excellent,I will order a 120 A/h AGM battery also from them
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

    http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    How did you mount them?

    I know from one of the 4x4 Iveco forums in Oz that many had problems with flexible panels (not sure if they were "semi-flex"). They ended with broken tracks. It seemed that this was from some movement ("flapping") of the panels when mobile. These panels were glued to a surface - obviously not glued over 100% of the area
    Sikaflex a across the centre from corner to corner around the edges to stop them flapping.
    You make a good point about semi-flex, if they flap in the wind on top while you are driving, the movement causes breakages in the silver condutors.
    In this case, the warranty is void.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    The general recommendation is not to mount them, rather that they be deployed when you get to site.
    I've seen panels blown away in the wind, I've seen someone reverse over his panels after forgetting he'd deployed them.
    It's obviously a matter of choice, but for me, the hassle of packing the panels and cables, unpacking, connecting them up, running cables all over the place and trying to secure the panels to stop them blowing over, and constantly having to move them just wasn't worth it.
    What I did was mount them permanently, and overspec the setup - my charge controller handles 250w, the panels generate 240w max, so even if the orientation to the sun is not ideal, or the car is in the shade, or it is overcast, I still get enough charge.
    As I mentioned earlier, I use the inverter for work (I often work where there is no Eskom) and speaking of Eskom, they are busy with the loadshedding again.
    Last time the coal got wet, this time it's a broken coal converyor belt.
    So again, I find myself the only contractor on site still working during loadshedding and that feels good!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    49
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Thanks for the headsup. Purchased the same panel about a week ago and used it over the weekend. Will go and check for the film and remove it before using it again.
    Just a note on my expiernce with the badger co. 2 years ago I purchased their compressor in an ammo crate that they sell. It stopped working on the 5th tyre I was inflating on its 1st use. Took it back and they exchanged it without an issue.
    Phillip

    2017 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD
    2017 Conqueror Companion(Sleepsel)
    2016 Braai Met Wiele X3 (Swambo)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Overlanding Southern Africa
    Age
    42
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    To remove the "damaged" protective film, just wrap duck tape around your hand, sticky side out, and press up and down on the panel to pull the film pieces off. Replace tape when it gets coated in film.

    Seems pretty easy to "repair" without going through the hassle of couriers etc?
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +27-829324043

    2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    To remove the "damaged" protective film, just wrap duck tape around your hand, sticky side out, and press up and down on the panel to pull the film pieces off. Replace tape when it gets coated in film.

    Seems pretty easy to "repair" without going through the hassle of couriers etc?
    SA Garage Doors left the same 'protective' plastic on my garage doors (and even though they were on the shady side of the house) we got delayed moving in and the same thing happened. We have so far tried everything - thinners, turps, rubbing with plastic steelwool - and nothing will get that stuff off. I'll try the duct tape trick - be nice if it works.

    By the way SA Garage Doors did not replace or fix my doors, because they said removing the plastic film was in the small print on the contract. And it was. My bad! Wish they'd mentioned it at installation time, when I inspected to make sure it all worked right. Since then the tensioning cables have rusted, the standby batteries have packed up and they have kindly offered to replace all these things at normal contractors rates. The doors are just over one year old, so the guarantee is no more.

    But lets not hi-jack this thread - hopefully the duct tape will work. Maybe if the duct tape doesn't work, I should try spraying them with Q20?😏

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,054

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    699

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    4x4Direct's service is excellent!
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Badger semi-flex panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Pole View Post
    SA Garage Doors left the same 'protective' plastic on my garage doors (and even though they were on the shady side of the house) we got delayed moving in and the same thing happened. We have so far tried everything - thinners, turps, rubbing with plastic steelwool - and nothing will get that stuff off. I'll try the duct tape trick - be nice if it works.

    By the way SA Garage Doors did not replace or fix my doors, because they said removing the plastic film was in the small print on the contract. And it was. My bad! Wish they'd mentioned it at installation time, when I inspected to make sure it all worked right. Since then the tensioning cables have rusted, the standby batteries have packed up and they have kindly offered to replace all these things at normal contractors rates. The doors are just over one year old, so the guarantee is no more.

    But lets not hi-jack this thread - hopefully the duct tape will work. Maybe if the duct tape doesn't work, I should try spraying them with Q20?😏
    Try the duct tape that 4x4 Direct sells - it sticks like ..... the collour of that tape. Brown



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •