Anyone travelling Khaudum NP in october?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone travelling Khaudum NP in october?

We are thinking about visiting Kaudum sometime in the next two weeks. We are flexible in our travel plans so date and direction either north-south or south-north direction are not set.

However we are just one car (2014 Hilux) and are quite hesitant to go just by ourselves. It will be our first visit to Khaudum and from what I have found, it is advised to go with a minimum of two vehicles.

We have basic tools and equipment, plenty of water and fuel and plenty of time. So we should be alright getting out on our own.

I was thinking that if there would be others in the park with similar travel plans, we could either team up or exchange satphone contact details so we could help each other out in case of serious problems.

Anyone keen on teaming up or being our backup in case of a serious breakdown?
    Let me know!

Bart

Default Re: Anyone travelling Khaudum NP in october?

Quote Originally Posted by rudirudeie View Post
    However we are just one car (2014 Hilux) and are quite hesitant to go just by ourselves. It will be our first visit to Khaudum and from what I have found, it is advised to go with a minimum of two vehicles.

We have basic tools and equipment, plenty of water and fuel and plenty of time. So we should be alright getting out on our own.

Bart
    No cell phone reception there. A sat phone for just in case.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Post Re: Anyone travelling Khaudum NP in october?

Thanks for the warning Johan!

we do have a satphone, however it is quite useless if don’t have anyone in the area to call to

Hence my question whether anyone would be willing to be emergency backup so we can call them if we would require assistance and vice versa.

Hi, I would advise going south-north, and calling in at the MET office in Tsumkwe and getting emergency numbers from them. The numbers I have are +264(0)66 258 846 and +264(0)66 258 847, but these may have changed. October is a great time to be there, as there should be big numbers of elephants in the park (some years back, we did an aerial/ground count of close to 4,000 elephants in the Khaudum in late October).
    Keep your distance, and watch out for warning signs like wet patches on the males' heads (musth), flapping ears and ground pawing, as some of them can be aggressive because of human interaction while migrating there from Botswana, Angola and Zambia.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Thanks for the advice Tony.

may I ask what the ‘MET office’ is?

Oops replied too soon. Google was my friend: ‘Ministry of Environmental Tourism’