Anyone travelling Khaudum NP in october?

Default Anyone travelling Khaudum NP in october?

We are thinking about visiting Kaudum sometime in the next two weeks. We are flexible in our travel plans so date and direction either north-south or south-north direction are not set.

However we are just one car (2014 Hilux) and are quite hesitant to go just by ourselves. It will be our first visit to Khaudum and from what I have found, it is advised to go with a minimum of two vehicles.

We have basic tools and equipment, plenty of water and fuel and plenty of time. So we should be alright getting out on our own.

I was thinking that if there would be others in the park with similar travel plans, we could either team up or exchange satphone contact details so we could help each other out in case of serious problems.

Anyone keen on teaming up or being our backup in case of a serious breakdown?
    Let me know!

Bart

Default Re: Anyone travelling Khaudum NP in october?

Quote Originally Posted by rudirudeie View Post
    However we are just one car (2014 Hilux) and are quite hesitant to go just by ourselves. It will be our first visit to Khaudum and from what I have found, it is advised to go with a minimum of two vehicles.

We have basic tools and equipment, plenty of water and fuel and plenty of time. So we should be alright getting out on our own.

Bart
    No cell phone reception there. A sat phone for just in case.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Post Re: Anyone travelling Khaudum NP in october?

Thanks for the warning Johan!

we do have a satphone, however it is quite useless if don’t have anyone in the area to call to

Hence my question whether anyone would be willing to be emergency backup so we can call them if we would require assistance and vice versa.

Hi, I would advise going south-north, and calling in at the MET office in Tsumkwe and getting emergency numbers from them. The numbers I have are +264(0)66 258 846 and +264(0)66 258 847, but these may have changed. October is a great time to be there, as there should be big numbers of elephants in the park (some years back, we did an aerial/ground count of close to 4,000 elephants in the Khaudum in late October).
    Keep your distance, and watch out for warning signs like wet patches on the males' heads (musth), flapping ears and ground pawing, as some of them can be aggressive because of human interaction while migrating there from Botswana, Angola and Zambia.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Thanks for the advice Tony.

may I ask what the ‘MET office’ is?

Oops replied too soon. Google was my friend: ‘Ministry of Environmental Tourism’

Hi Brat

Would you please give some feedback on the road conditions when done please, we will be visiting the Park in December.

Hi boesmanbos,

We have made the trip and it was fine.
    I will get back to you once we are back home with stable internet (nov 7th). we are currently still in Namibia exploring 4x4 trails.

Bart

Hi BoesmanBos,

We visited Khaudum with only 1 car (and a Sat-phone with a backup contact in case of vehicle breakdown) and it was one of the best 4x4 and wildlife experiences we have had!
    The animals are truely wild and not used to cars at all. This means they are very skittish which can be quite interesting with the elephants I must say.
    The driving through deep sand was very exciting for me as I am a not too experienced sand driver. Although I consider myself a bit more experienced now!

We found the conditions of the road to be OK, although I have no reference. But it is all a matter of expectations I guess. I expected heavy sand and difficult driving and that is what I found. It wasn't impossible driving so that is why I would consider the conditions to be OK.
    Just make sure your tires are properly deflated (we kept them at 1.6 bars which was soft enough to keep traction and hard enough to prevent punctures (or we were just lucky)). But you will find out soon enough what the right pressure is by the way your car handles the deep soft sand. (If you almost get stuck, just deflate a bit more.)

Our Hilux was quite under powered so we kept it in low-ratio pretty much all the time and were down to 2nd gear in the worst places. That had more to do with keeping our speed low enough to not being thrown around in the cab or slamming the bottom of the car and diffs on the 'middleman' too hard (which was 10-15kmh in some parts that were very bouncy) than requiring it for traction.

Before we set off to Tsumkwe, we did go to Cymot in Windhoek and Grootfontein to buy some extra gear to be able to help ourselves; Long rope (to be used with our rented hi-lift jack) to be able to make a makeshift winch (using spare tire as an anchor if no trees are available). A saw so we could cut branches off of trees if we couldn't get around trees pushed over by the elephants. A large shovel to move sand when stuck. Chinese-made foldable sand mats (cheap and better than nothing i suppose) which we didn't have to use so I can't comment on how well they work. a 25lt Jerrycan for some spare diesel in case of a leaking fuel tank (the car was fitted with a 140lt tank which at 5km/lt fuel consumption on average in the park was large enough for our trip). a 25lt water jerrycan for obvious reasons. And a collection of of tools, tiewraps, ducttape and hoseclamps that I brought along in my checked bagage to do some bushfixes if needed.

We did not get stuck once (beginners luck or driver's skills? who will know... I'd go with the first) and only had to use the saw a few times on one of the remote tracks that appeared not to have been used for a a few weeks. All the main tracks were clear or had tracks around the pushed over trees.

Just a word of caution; you will scratch the paint with thorny bushes as the roads are very narrow, but I guess most Namibian 4x4's will have scratched paint from the thorny bushes already.

The dreaded entry road in the north (between the B8 and the park entrance) was fine too. I went for sticking to the main road at all times, even at places where there were bypasses because the main road was pretty bad. But by that time, having driven deep sand for a few days, I felt comfortable with the car's performance and gearing so I figured I'd go for for the full Khaudum experience and not cheat by taking the easier to drive bypasses. My girlfriend also agreed to happily bounce around in the passenger seat just a bit more on the final leg of the trip!

So, to make a long story short. The road is fine for a Hilux 2014 with chinese (fairly worn) mud terrain tires and a long range fuel tank, but no other fancy offroad kit on it (not even a bullbar).
    GO for it! You can always turn around if you don't like it. For us it was an unforgettable experience!

But don't forget to organize backup of some sort if you attempt to go alone. It is very remote and you will not meet many other cars (we saw 2 ranger vehicles in two days and 1 other party of 2 cars in Khaudum camp at night).

Hope this helps and have fun!

Bart