Ridiculous maintenance cost of Freelander II - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Ridiculous maintenance cost of Freelander II

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Fat lot of good ABS and airbags did for Gavin Watson, and I believe the road was DRY, it hasnít rained in JNB for years. When itís your time, itís your time.
    To activate ABS the brake pedal needs to be depressed first....

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    most are only effective up to 64km/h, and secondly, the impact and kinetic energy at higher speeds means that you will sustain excessive secondary injuries unrelated to a simple head bump

go do some research?
    Well there we have it, the engineers got it all wrong, airbags are just about worse than useless.

Even if they are only effective up to 60km/h I'm game, a good solid smash at that speed is enough to obliterate a vehicle and its unprotected occupants.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/10/17 at 06:32 PM.

Default Ridiculous maintenance cost of Freelander II

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    That's not the way I understand them to work and personally I'd rather headbutt an airbag than my steering wheel, no matter the speed. But then again maybe I'm just not very hard headed

Stealing 50 bar can cause some unusual events to occur in your life but you know what that's a good point, screw using seat belts, if it's my time it's my time. Actually while I'm about it I'm cancelling my medical aid as well..
    I meant that tounge in cheek. Iím all for whatever safety features a vehicle has to offer, but if it doesnít have something, I donít worry about it too much. I just make a point of not crashing into anything or getting hit. This has worked for me for the entire 25 years of my driving career. But I do have full medical, just in case.

I think the point Iím trying to make is these features all add to the purchase and maintenance cost of a vehicle, along with shocks. Each individual must just decide if itís worth it. I learned how to drive before most of this, so in my case it isnít. To each their own.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/10/18 at 07:19 AM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Speaking of airbags and abs and safety stuff, I have heard mixed reviews of the safety rating of a FL2, and my googling skills aren't all that great today. Are they considered to be fairly safe?
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Speaking of airbags and abs and safety stuff, I have heard mixed reviews of the safety rating of a FL2, and my googling skills aren't all that great today. Are they considered to be fairly safe?
    Here you go.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=freelander+2+ncap&s=g
    Last edited by douglash; 2019/10/18 at 08:33 AM.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    I meant that tounge in cheek. Iím all for whatever safety features a vehicle has to offer, but if it doesnít have something, I donít worry about it too much. I just make a point of not crashing into anything or getting hit. This has worked for me for the entire 25 years of my driving career. But I do have full medical, just in case.

I think the point Iím trying to make is these features all add to the purchase and maintenance cost of a vehicle, along with shocks. Each individual must just decide if itís worth it. I learned how to drive before most of this, so in my case it isnít. To each their own.
    Abs and airbags seem to be relatively bullet proof and maintenance free from my experience, pretty low tech in the grand scheme of things. I've tested the abs extensively on my current vehicle when I had a brake vibration that I couldn't nail down (turned out it was slightly warped discs) and it really is functional helpful tech, in extreme braking situations it can easily be a lifesaving aid.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/10/18 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Well, your link isn't working properly (ok, its working now) , but I only find the 2007 results, and its not that detailed. Anyway, I asked cause a guy who worked at LR long ago told me they aren't all that good in a crash. I of course take it with a pinch of salt, but would be interesting to hear if anyone had reliable information.
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2019/10/18 at 08:36 AM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Well, your link isn't working properly (ok, its working now) , but I only find the 2007 results, and its not that detailed. Anyway, I asked cause a guy who worked at LR long ago told me they aren't all that good in a crash. I of course take it with a pinch of salt, but would be interesting to hear if anyone had reliable information.
    Since this fred is about fun, I just had to..

As far as I know, the FL2 is one of the stronger vehicles for safety.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Since this fred is about fun, I just had to..

As far as I know, the FL2 is one of the stronger vehicles for safety.
    Only realized afterwards, I'm being a bit slow today.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

This is getting a bit like a discussion on the merits (?) of 2SO.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    This is getting a bit like a discussion on the merits (?) of 2SO.
    No Ian, 2SO cannot be fully covered in a 6 page thread so far. There are way too many merits and de-merits

Default Ridiculous maintenance cost of Freelander II

Only realized afterwards, I'm being a bit slow today.
    Iím also a bit slow. In Kruger, up north, and itís baking hot here, and Iím trying to make a point Iím not really sure of, on my phone. I think this fred has gone south, I should too. I believe the weather is still bearable down in Durbs, but the curry bunnies are another story.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/10/18 at 10:55 AM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Mail me pics and price if you want to sell. [email protected] these are the least expensive suv to maintain. I have had two that were sold to my children.

Call me if you wish to sell. 0824473699

Quote Originally Posted by iLandy View Post
    Maybe just trying to justify an excuse to buy a ranger...
    That's like majority of people in Jhb. Drive aluxury vehicle but can't afford 3-4k for a service. Car out of maintenance plan, trade in and get a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by bukssaayman View Post
    I know I'm not the first guy with this problem, nor am I the first guy to ask for opinions, but it's my turn. My 2007 Freelander II now stands with just shy of 200K on the clock and sprung a leak on her left-rear shock absorber.

Phoning around for quotes, it seems the cheapest I can find is from Akrotek at R1450 per shock. For obvious reasons, I'll have to replace both, in total, with shipping, two shocks will set me back just over R3K.

Then I still need new tyres, 18". We all know entry level SUV 18" A/T tyres start at R1100 per tyre. (Roughly)

My left rear door actuator doesn't work anymore. That's another R2K quoted by some fellow I found on Gumtree.com.

But the sad part is that I actually like the car. The other sad part is that I still owe money on it. Looking around at what's available, I would like a Ford Ranger, calculating monthly repayments and that the balance of what I owe after trade-in will be transferred to the new hire purchase, I'll have to fork out another R2800 p/m extra just to get rid of the car and get a "more affordable" Ranger 2.2 4X4.

So, do I take the once-off hit of replacing shocks and tyres and wait for the next item to break, or do I cut my losses, fix the car up best I can, and trade on a used Ranger and end up paying more p/m but be able to afford maintenance more easily?
    If you're otherwise happy with the vehicle (and because its a Land Rover, how could you be - relax, just kidding :-) ) look at it from this perspective: The maintenance charges are, and will be, sporadic. The regular payment for a financed vehicle will be regular and unrelenting. Maintenance funds are unlikely to be so regularly unkind to your cash-flow. If you can afford the payments on the newer vehicle (and you're happy with the current vehicle - that is very important), then rather save the difference each month and call that a maintenance fund. And do you expect to spend R33 600 (R2800 x 12) on the car this year, or next?

And remember the dirty little secret of the fractional-reserve lending system (do some learning on it; it will make the thought of credit revolting to your psyche): the fractional-reserve lending system allows the creation of funds out of of thin-air and then charges you interest on this ephemeral money.

Dean

Thumbs up Re: Ridiculous maintenance cost of Freelander II

Quote Originally Posted by bukssaayman View Post
    I know I'm not the first guy with this problem, nor am I the first guy to ask for opinions, but it's my turn. My 2007 Freelander II now stands with just shy of 200K on the clock and sprung a leak on her left-rear shock absorber.

Phoning around for quotes, it seems the cheapest I can find is from Akrotek at R1450 per shock. For obvious reasons, I'll have to replace both, in total, with shipping, two shocks will set me back just over R3K.

Then I still need new tyres, 18". We all know entry level SUV 18" A/T tyres start at R1100 per tyre. (Roughly)

My left rear door actuator doesn't work anymore. That's another R2K quoted by some fellow I found on Gumtree.com.

But the sad part is that I actually like the car. The other sad part is that I still owe money on it. Looking around at what's available, I would like a Ford Ranger, calculating monthly repayments and that the balance of what I owe after trade-in will be transferred to the new hire purchase, I'll have to fork out another R2800 p/m extra just to get rid of the car and get a "more affordable" Ranger 2.2 4X4.

So, do I take the once-off hit of replacing shocks and tyres and wait for the next item to break, or do I cut my losses, fix the car up best I can, and trade on a used Ranger and end up paying more p/m but be able to afford maintenance more easily?

If I were you... well, I'm in the same position as you, so bugger the hell with the pleasantries... let me give you my opinion.

The Freelander 2 is a brilliant vehicle (my opinion).
    I have the Freelander 2 HSE TDS Sport 2011.
    Only fault I think the engineers made (well, in this case I think it was the yuppie bean-counters that swinged this one) is the bloody 19" rims.

Can only guess how that meeting in the boardroom went:
    Engineers: We have delivered a vehicle within budget, and boy will you all bean-counters be impressed with us.
    Bean-counters: Will we have red faces again like with the Freelander 1 issues?
    Engineers: No, we have extensively tested the vehicle in all conditions and it is as robust as it comes
    Bean-counters: You sure it is within budget
    Engineers: Yes, check the figures yourself, we are well below budget
    Bean-counters: Does it come in black?
    Engineers: Yes, at no extra cost
    Bean-counters: We see that you have only specified 16" wheels
    Engineers: Yes, it is a offroader, as proven 16" is best suited for it
    Bean-counters: Give us 19" low profiles and we will go to market
    Engineers: FFS it is an offroader, you need 16"
    Bean-counters: What do you know, put 19" on and then go to market
    You mentioned that your vehicle has 18" tyres, that meas you will most probably have the SE model. The S model came with 16" (more practical tyre when going off the beaten track).

Ok, I have digressed a bit here, lets talk serious numbers here for a while:
    Doing a quick aunti-Google search, the Freelander 2 2007 SE model (1 hit only) is reselling for R90 000.00
    Doing the same for the Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 we get a few more hits (6, but it is 600% more than the Freelander)

You mentioned that you still have finance on your vehicle? Going to make a few assumptions here...
    For the age of the vehicle and given that it is still financed only means that you have purchased it second hand.
    Let me assume that your vehicle has depreciated 50% of YOUR original purchased price (that is generous for a second hand vehicle).
    That means you have a loan (zero deposit and zero balloon) of R180 000.00 and your monthly payment will be ... err hold that though....
    Now why, oh why do people take a 72 month term with a bloody balloon on their vehicle finance? If you do that, you are buying way over your budget and giving your money all to the all-to-greedy-banks. And then you probably buy a second hand vehicle that is out of maintenance, so that will add even further pressure on your finances... does this sound familiar to you all?
    Ok, rant over, lets assume you are that guy, and you have taken the loan over 72 months, but no balloon (so you now feel a wee little better)
    Borrowing money from the bank, over 72 months, with interest rate set at 12% (bliksem, the banks are making a lot of money off you), your will part ways with R3 611.64, on a monthly basis, of your hard earned cash.
    If you readjust the term to 60 months, the monthly bleeding of your bank account will be R4 099.86.
    R3 611.64 x 72 = will mean you will be paying R260 038.08 - R180 000.00 = R80 038.08 to borrow money from the bank
    R4 099.86 x 60 = will mean you will be paying R245 991.60 - R180 000.00 = R65 991.60 to borrow money from the bank
    That is R14 046.48 (or in beter terms) a couple of BIG services on your precious little vehicle - remember this figure!

Doing the same for the big Ford Rander 2.2 4x4
    Side note, the Ranger 2.2 4x4 only recently came to market, so it is still fairly "new", so not a big second hand market exists for it, yet.
    The six hits I got on my aunti-Goolgle search gave me (from low to high) R365 000.00 to R460 000.00 with the lowest price being a single cab.
    Assuming you have a family (why else a lekker 4 seater SUV with huge boot space?), you will probably opt for the double cab coming in at an awesome R440 000.00.
    Punching that number into the finance calculator gives us the following:
    R440 000.00 over 72 months at 12% interest = R8 694.69 per month (bliksem!)
    R440 000.00 over 60 months at 12% interest = R9 883.42 per month (bliksem!)

Okay, lets choose the lesser values here (well, in this case, less is more: the less you pay per month, the more you pay at the end)
    R8 694.69 - R3 611.64 = R5 083.05 per month difference.
    R5 083.05 x 12 months = R60 996.60 over a year.

Now that we have some figures to work with, let me consult my service history of my Freelander 2
    To date I have spent (over and above the purchase price) a wopping R 715 337.52 on my little vehicle over a period of 80 months.
    That includes all my installments, services, maintenance, fuel, tyres, insurance, tracking, etc. to date... (read closely, that includes my vehicle finance installments!)
    That is about R8 941.72 per month
    To date, all mechanical maintenance, services and repairs cost me R104 639.80
    This includes replacement of the following out of the maintenance plan:
    1. rear shock,
    2. started motor,
    3. HID headlight,
    4. breaks and disks,
    5. inter cooler,
    6. key fobs,
    7. tyres (x3 sets @ 19" ),
    8. rear boot-lid gas struts.
    9. bonnet gas struts, and
    10. battery (x3)

Yes, each of these components are more expensive than that a VW Citi Golf, but overall, the maintenance to date on my vehicle is low in comparison the my friends Hilux bakkie.
    The Freelander 2, well mine, has to be serviced yearly or every 24 000km (which ever comes first).
    My vehicle is now old, in comparison to today's cars and the yearly services usually costs me about R 6 000.00.
    A Ford Ranger needs to be serviced every 15 000km and costs about R3 000.00 per service. That also gives you R 6 000.00 per year, same as the Freelander 2.
    Ok, I hear you say the Ford Ranger will have a service plan (they do not come with maintenance plans) and you will be correct, but this plan expires after 3 years or 60 000km
    What is the difference in monthly instalments? Let me remind you, it is R 5 083.05 per month... you can service your Landy a couple of times a year at that monthly price.

Yes, your vehicle has reach the age where seals and things goes wrong. Just ask any old gentleman sitting in a retirement home, things does not seem to work as they used to... you end up with leaks...
    Luckily a hip replacement on a vehicle has a far greater success rate as when done on an old lady... but the odd part replacement on a vehicle will still outweigh any monthly installment if you work out the averages over a year.
    And there in lies the fine print... take a year of installments and see how much can you replace on your vehicle? You must just keep some of that spare cash you have "saved" at hand when something does go wrong. And there in lies the trick boys and girls!

I have a saying: "If a vehicle gives you the same major mechanical failure twice, it is time to replace the vehicle."
    Given the data above, I do not see any financial reason as to replace my Freelander with a newer vehicle, unless something catastrophically fail somewhere.

Well, I must admit, I have an itch that started to develop somewhere and sooner or later I will have to scratch it.
    I believe you might have that same itch, but your itch have developed into a rash... and you have an irresistible need to scratch it... the only way to get that itchy feeling to stop, is to go buy your Ranger.
    By the sound of it, you have already decided in your mind to buy it, why else ask for advice? You just need someone to help you justify your decision (curiosity)... then you can give proof to your loved ones that you have contacted an expert and they said it is the right call so it must be!

When it comes to those nasty itches, gooi logic out the window, drive over it a couple of times and ninja-swipe your credit card!

Go and buy your Ranger!

8)

Hi there did you get prises from Dover parts? I bought last week a timing belt kit with the tensioner and idler pulley and water pump paid R2300 for all. And it is good parts Britparts the belt is a Dayco so good qaility. I had 2 Navaras and there parts is not cheaper. My Freelander 2 is a 2008 model 154000 km on clock drives better on and off road than my sisters 2015 Fortuner.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    - always ALWAYS leave more following distance than required by law
    - never NEVER exceed the published speed limit, and reduce that at night
    - an airbag helps ZERO over 70km/h
    You just said you have never used airbags and then you say they dont help over 70? how do you know?

Varsity days I totalled two E46 BMWs within 7 months. Both around 70kmph. One with airbag deployment and the other without.
    Give me airbags thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris raptor View Post
    Hi there did you get prises from Dover parts? I bought last week a timing belt kit with the tensioner and idler pulley and water pump paid R2300 for all. And it is good parts Britparts the belt is a Dayco so good qaility. I had 2 Navaras and there parts is not cheaper. My Freelander 2 is a 2008 model 154000 km on clock drives better on and off road than my sisters 2015 Fortuner.
    Hi Chris
    Is it possible to have supplier contact info please and cam timing toolkit?
    Thanks

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast