Sand Ridge Rd vs Ngwezumba Rd & the Marsh Rd?

Default Ngwezumba/Nogatsaa rd in Chobe

For the drive from Ihaha to Savuti I know the Sand ridge road is the usual route, but looking at T4A I see Ngwezumba road through Chobe. Does anyone have any recent reports from this road and/or the Marsh road?

Just wondering if it's worth the detour, anything interesting to see, etc?
    Last edited by CalDriver; 2019/10/20 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Corrected misleading title

Default Re: Sand Ridge Rd vs Ngwezumba Rd & the Marsh Rd?

You don’t drive on either the sand ridge road or Marsh road from Ihaha to Savuti. You take the road past Kachikau then join the cutline road from Linyanti to Goha Gate. The Sand ridge road/ marsh road are from Savuti to Mababe.

Quote Originally Posted by HooknCook View Post
    You don’t drive on either the sand ridge road or Marsh road from Ihaha to Savuti. You take the road past Kachikau then join the cutline road from Linyanti to Goha Gate. The Sand ridge road/ marsh road are from Savuti to Mababe.
    Ah, I was wondering if I had that right. Regardless, how is the Marsh road recently?

The attached screen shot is what I meant. The blue route is the one I was curious about. Seem like it would take too long, but I was still interested to hear about it since there doesn't seem to be much info about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Like HooknCook has stated, the Marsh and Sand Ridge refers to routes that are used to travel between Savuti and Mababe. We need to make it clear so that when other travelers search they could get the right information.
    Marsh Route is Dusty and slow going because of the bumps, and Sand ridge is bit sandy there and there but a 4x4 with compétent driver would just sail through.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

Your blue marked track is the link via Nogatsaa where in olden days was a campsite.
    These days it is only used by the Defense Force and some tour operators.

I did the start section from Ihaha turn off on the tar road into the first pans and into the forest reserve and encountered deep sand with very little traction.
    The route is possible to drive but I would recommend a convoy so to have some back-up.
    It appears that there could be quite a bit of wildlife around Nogatsaa, but that will vary with the seasons and surface water availability.

If you decide to use this route, make sure you have an early start as there is no accommodation (camp site) until you reach Savuti.
    A little warning here:

Some years back an elderly couple got lost on this route and ended up stranded in a dry river crossing. The wife was found after 4 days by another tourist following their tracks, the husband was never fund as he tried to walk back towards Nogatsaa taking a direct line approach.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Your blue marked track is the link via Nogatsaa where in olden days was a campsite.
    These days it is only used by the Defense Force and some tour operators.

I did the start section from Ihaha turn off on the tar road into the first pans and into the forest reserve and encountered deep sand with very little traction.
    The route is possible to drive but I would recommend a convoy so to have some back-up.
    It appears that there could be quite a bit of wildlife around Nogatsaa, but that will vary with the seasons and surface water availability.

If you decide to use this route, make sure you have an early start as there is no accommodation (camp site) until you reach Savuti.
    A little warning here:

Some years back an elderly couple got lost on this route and ended up stranded in a dry river crossing. The wife was found after 4 days by another tourist following their tracks, the husband was never fund as he tried to walk back towards Nogatsaa taking a direct line approach.
    Thank you so much for the info, this is gold! When searching for info on this road I did run across the story of the couple that was stranded and the loss of husband. Ominous indeed, certainly a cautionary tale.

I does look ambitious to do in one day, too bad the old camp is not still operating. If tour operators are using this occasionally I wonder where they're going to/from, I don't see any lodges on T4A in the area.

T4A also shows some watering holes w/ pumps, but I wonder if they're still operational if this area is not frequented by tourists. It would be very interesting to see the game levels at the pans and Seloko Plains area. Given the challenges we may not tackle this just yet, but someday it sounds very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Thank you so much for the info, this is gold! When searching for info on this road I did run across the story of the couple that was stranded and the loss of husband. Ominous indeed, certainly a cautionary tale.

I does look ambitious to do in one day, too bad the old camp is not still operating. If tour operators are using this occasionally I wonder where they're going to/from, I don't see any lodges on T4A in the area.

T4A also shows some watering holes w/ pumps, but I wonder if they're still operational if this area is not frequented by tourists. It would be very interesting to see the game levels at the pans and Seloko Plains area. Given the challenges we may not tackle this just yet, but someday it sounds very interesting.
    CalDriver you have to NOTE that tour operators dont use public campsites or lodges, there a campsites designated ONLY for tour operators. You asked, where along that route are tour operators camping? There is a campsite along that route, Zwezwe, its 42 kms from Savuti Public Campsites. So, when staying there, instead of going back to Savuti to join the Kasane route, they will drive from Zwezwe campsite to Kasane using that route, but its seldom used. So, you you want to tackle this route, be in convoy, satelite phone and over suppy with everything.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post

Tour operators can be part of the HATAB and have extra concession permits.
    HATAB has a good number of bush campsites inside parks which are normally secluded and no entry signs are posted.
    In this they do not have to run the trip in a day but to revert to those sites of theirs (no infrastructure), but they are not open to the public.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads