Are Discovery 4's really that bad - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Are Discovery 4's really that bad

Hi. I once bought a Jeep... and a friend of mine told me... " i am sure your wife don't give you enough (sh%@ ) trouble, at home > now you bought a Jeep" I was offended,,,?? What a fantastic 4x4 it was for a very short period. The one guy had it right... only rich people can buy those 4x4. Yes if they go .. they are wonderful 4x4s. Later i realized the truth in his words. The stories I heard from Landy owners... it is about the same than my story. About 40 years ago A Landy was the start of my 4x4 life in Namibia... so they are like a icon to me, but i can afford one of R500,000 ( what i paid for Hilux ) but i cant afford another R500,000 for maintenance ( Blown engine R80,000.. ) There are many trust worthy Fortuners, Everest, Pajero,s L Crusers where you know you can travel with peace of mind. It is not nice to get stuck on a hill in a bush.... and your fancy 4x4 dont want to go > no where ...not even slowly... so I re united with my various trusty Hilux, Fortuners and now again Hilux where I did 300,000s + of thousand kilometers in South Africa and Namibia through Namib desert and plenty more heavy 4x4 routes, where I ticked off 90% of my bucket list. Only the Odd flat tires. Just my view what it might be worth

Sorry...forgot other excellent 4x4,s like Nissan, Isuzu, Fords etc.... Yes I drive a Toyota, but acknowledge the other great brands on the road

Quote Originally Posted by Nickharding View Post
    Just taken my 10 year old Fortuner petrol through Kgalagadi, Botswana, Zambia and the Serengeti to Rwanda on roads that sometimes would challenge any vehicle and it managed without a murmur. On tar the disco4 is without doubt a better ride but other than that, the Fortuner has power, towing abilities and reliability that ensure I would never change mine. Maybe worth a look.
    You cannot even begin to compare a fortuner to a discovery. A disco 4 does everything better than a fortuner and not just by a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Giddey61 View Post
    You cannot even begin to compare a fortuner to a discovery. A disco 4 does everything better than a fortuner and not just by a little bit.
    The only advantage fortuner has over D4 is that it's uncomplicated. So it's less likely to break down than a D4 on a grand scale of things.

The answer to the post is... no. They are not. Everything has advantages and disadvantages. Are they a bit less reliable overall than a Toyota? Probably, on the average. Are they unreliable? No. Are they expensive to maintain? Yes. Are they among the very best 7 seat highly capable off road vehicle while also being an amazing on road vehicle? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    The answer to the post is... no. They are not. Everything has advantages and disadvantages.
    That is correct. They are good or bad depending on what you are searching in a car.

Are they a bit less reliable overall than a Toyota? Probably, on the average.
    I would say not on the average, but mostly.

Are they unreliable? No.
    Not unreliable. But not the car you will drive without some anxiety of getting where you want to go, especially when that destination is very far and away from dealer network.

Are they expensive to maintain? Yes.
    Very, very expensive to maintain compared to equivalent Toyotas.

Are they among the very best 7 seat highly capable off road vehicle while also being an amazing on road vehicle? Yes.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    if you are driving 15k km a year, which is a little below the average, then that R35k works out to about R2.33/km, granted, that’s not “cheap”, but show me any other luxury SUV and I am pretty sure the costs are comparable.

once you add fuel and insurance to that, your probably somewhere around R4.00km total cost of ownership, which would be considered normal.

But don’t let the LR haters be put off by simple facts.....
    Let me also add that I came from a LC to the Discovery. What I never paid on the LC in terms of servicing costs, was spent on fuel!
    The running costs are quiet similar.
    Hook up something heavy and the disco pulls our 2 ton caravan at 14-15l per 100k
    Our LC was closer to 30l per km
    Last edited by Skukuza95; 2019/11/02 at 10:04 AM.
    12 Discovery 4
    07 Toyota Prado
    98 Isuzu 320 V6 4X4
    98 Colt Rodeo 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Giddey61 View Post
    Easy man, it is dependent on quite a few things. For sure the D4 is more comfortable on gravel roads (and surfaced roads) but I was on a Namib trip that included a D4 and it was by far the "weakest" vehicle. It had to travel second in the string otherwise it battled. Not the driver who was widely experienced as part of a group that did a 4x4 tour every year and it was a guided trip so they tried what they knew. Main problem was the low profile tyres.

But they are excellent vehicles; just a tad too complex and every now and then, few and far between, a very nasty and expensive bang IMHO that is. I do have at least three friends on their second or third one and zero issues, one had a D3 and a D4 at the same time as he didn't want to go to a D5.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Easy man, it is dependent on quite a few things. For sure the D4 is more comfortable on gravel roads (and surfaced roads) but I was on a Namib trip that included a D4 and it was by far the "weakest" vehicle. It had to travel second in the string otherwise it battled. Not the driver who was widely experienced as part of a group that did a 4x4 tour every year and it was a guided trip so they tried what they knew. Main problem was the low profile tyres.

But they are excellent vehicles; just a tad too complex and every now and then, few and far between, a very nasty and expensive bang IMHO that is. I do have at least three friends on their second or third one and zero issues, one had a D3 and a D4 at the same time as he didn't want to go to a D5.
    agree tyres are an issue. Can go to 18” rims for a bit more rubber.

i drove a fortuner all over Namibia. I’m still looking for some of my teeth.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2019/11/02 at 08:29 AM.

[QUOTE=Ross Kramm;4248433]Hi guysI'm Considering getting a disco 4, but have been hearing a lot about non reliabillity issues. Im not a harcore 4x4 entusiast but will expect the vehicle to take my wife and I safely to botswana or Namibia for 4 weeks at a time once a year. this will be my day to day vehicle where it will spend 90% of its life on tar. I love the day to day driveabillity. Do I forget the disco 4 and go for something like a land cruiser??[/QUOTERather go for a Jap.

Drove a friends Disco4 Tyre’s are expensive but fuel wise ok, decent 10.4 L/100km on a trip to Middleburg/Dullstroom/Sabie

Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE, air suspension is excellent on bad road but gets floaty in corners.

Gravel roads it’s excellent.
    2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 4000V6 Manual 5 Speed 4x4
    Petri

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 L SOHC V6 Auto AWD 4x4
    Pieter

2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TDi S-Tronic Quattro
    Daily Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Bos View Post
    Rather go for a Jap.
    Uuuuh.. this could get your bottom roasted here

Random thought: There sure are a lot of these "crap" vehicles out there. As I was driving home now, I was struck by just how many D4's are on the road. Granted, most will never see a spot of gravel road, but still. It really is a popular vehicle.

Bought a 2011 SDV6 two years ago. Just returned from a trip to Khutse and Mabuasehube in Botswana.and have lot of respect for vehicle as it performed faultlessly and as a novice went through very thick sand roads without any assistance at all towing a of road trailer. In thick sand gave 4.5 lm/l which is better than other people I spoke to on trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Kramm View Post
    Hi guys
    I'm Considering getting a disco 4, but have been hearing a lot about non reliabillity issues
    Whatcar.com has listed the D4 among the top 10 most unreliable used cars in UK. As a matter of fact it takes number 2 spot😜

https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-uks...ed-cars/n19410

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Whatcar.com has listed the D4 among the top 10 most unreliable used cars in UK. As a matter of fact it takes number 2 spot😜

https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-uks...ed-cars/n19410

well, #8, but who’s counting?

Oops...number 2 from the top

Here is what they wrote:

This model may be much loved and has a great image, but it's big, heavy and complicated. Common faults are with the air suspension and air compressor. Other issues include electrical and software problems, which produced a range of symptoms including cruise control failure, glitches with the infotainment system and problems with the pre-heat facility for the engine and interior. The electronic parking brake can revert to its failsafe mode, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skukuza95 View Post
    Let me also add that I came from a LC to the Discovery. What I never paid on the LC in terms of servicing costs, was spent on fuel!
    The running costs are quiet similar.
    Hook up something heavy and the disco pulls our 2 ton caravan at 14-15l per 100k
    Our LC was closer to 30l per km
    I take it as you never traveled more than 5km from home?
    Last edited by Oppies3800; 2019/11/07 at 12:13 PM.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Here is what they wrote:
    Common faults are with the air suspension and air compressor.
    I see this as a maintenance issue, not a fault per se.
    Its a hardworking component that requires maintenance...

People expect every mechanical item to last forever...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast