2009 Touareg II 3.6 VR6 - Honest opinions - Should I or shouldn't I?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2009 Touareg II 3.6 VR6 - Honest opinions - Should I or shouldn't I?

Dear all

Newbie here, but feel at home reading all the threads and posts.

Here is my story. Audi Centurion traded a 2009 Touareg VR6 and it caught my attention. Here is the lowdown:

Options:
    Upgraded leather option with electric seats
    Satnav
    Fancy interior lights package
    Rear blinds
    18 inch wheel upgrade including spare on the back.

Other observations:
    Bodywork is mint (light blue in colour)
    New Toyo road based tyres
    Standard suspension
    Odo reading 192 000km
    Minimal peeling on buttons
    Full dealer franchise history up to 180 000km, non franchise at 189 000km

Price - R139 990

The particular model seems quite scarce on the SA market and know that if I buy it will probably be with a complimentary wedding band. Another unknown is the fuel consumption I can expect. It does appear from that mechanically the engine is quite reliable. I will not be doing serious offroading.

It will be serviced and maintained by Stephan and he would also need to give his stamp of approval before I proceed.

So - Should I go for it or should I rather keep looking for a diesel V6 instead?

Thank you
    Anton van Graan
    Last edited by OettingerTDi; 2019/10/30 at 02:07 PM.

Default Re: 2009 Touareg II 3.6 VR6 - Honest opinions - Should I or shouldn't I?

If you don't mind the consumption go for it

The VR6 engine is proven.

also no turbo or air suspension to worry about.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Default Re: 2009 Touareg II 3.6 VR6 - Honest opinions - Should I or shouldn't I?

Diesel V6's of that mileage will start to have their own maintenance issues. I agree if you can stomach the fuel bills it should be fine.

How does the performance compare the the V6 TDI?
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Wink Re: 2009 Touareg II 3.6 VR6 - Honest opinions - Should I or shouldn't I?

Thank you for the feedback so far.

@Karol - It seems from USA reviews and spec sheets that the MPG consumption for the VR6 and TDi don't differ all that much, well, at least in town that is. I believe the TDi will be better out on the open road.

Coming from a Audi S4 with a 4.2 V8, I think the shock won't be too bad. Fortunately, I have outgrown my boy racer days.

@mullerza - Believe it or not, I haven't test driven either of them, so I don't have any point of reference. Sure, the torque in the TDi will blow the VR6 away. But here's hoping 360Nm will be sufficient.

Kalahari (Occasional visitor to Morningside)

If you are coming from a 4.2 V8, doubt there will be much of a difference in consumption - might even be better...My Audi is thirstier than even a Landcruiser.
    I hear the 3.6 is a bit slower so you might struggle with the change in power.
    Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
    Occasional: 2014 Audi A8L V8 - The Boat
    Towing van: 2008 Touareg V10
    Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
    Farm car: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
    Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
    Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC

@mueneni - I drive the S4 like a girl, best was 9,2 l/100km on a round trip to Sabie. Used to between 12 and 13l/100km on average.

P.S. Seems that you have a thirsty garage too...

Loose comments:
    • Buttons are not supposed to peel at all on those models, AFAIK.
    • Price not too bad, but get the full price that includes all the "on road" stuff and the warranty they will force on you (to reduce their risk under CPA.) R140k all in would be a good deal.
    • My feeling is that if you go for an older Touareg, at least get the extras that made them the special vehicles that they were, such as air suspension.
    • I think leather seats were standard.
    • What were the wheels upgraded from? 20"?
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Quote Originally Posted by OettingerTDi View Post
    Thank you for the feedback so far.

@Karol - It seems from USA reviews and spec sheets that the MPG consumption for the VR6 and TDi don't differ all that much, well, at least in town that is. I believe the TDi will be better out on the open road.

Coming from a Audi S4 with a 4.2 V8, I think the shock won't be too bad. Fortunately, I have outgrown my boy racer days.

@mullerza - Believe it or not, I haven't test driven either of them, so I don't have any point of reference. Sure, the torque in the TDi will blow the VR6 away. But here's hoping 360Nm will be sufficient.
    on paper performance seems to be similar but I suspect that NA petrol is going to work a lot harder at our altitude. Do yourself a favor and go and drive both the 3.6 and the V6 tdi, that will quickly make up your mind.

that v6 tdi is a special engine
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    Loose comments:
    • Buttons are not supposed to peel at all on those models, AFAIK.
    • Price not too bad, but get the full price that includes all the "on road" stuff and the warranty they will force on you (to reduce their risk under CPA.) R140k all in would be a good deal.
    • My feeling is that if you go for an older Touareg, at least get the extras that made them the special vehicles that they were, such as air suspension.
    • I think leather seats were standard.
    • What were the wheels upgraded from? 20"?
    The buttons are pretty good, only the one fan speed button has scuffed slightly.

Price excludes on the road fees, but were explained and appear reasonable.
    No warranty was forced or offered.
    They are also having the exhaust system replaced to make it quieter, the previous owner decatted it and put on two freeflow silencers at the back.
    They will also fix two leather inserts on the front seats which have cracked.
    Just need to see if I can negotiate a spare key into the deal as well.

I am not in a hurry, so if this one slips by, the search will continue. Seeing as I have not test driven a Treg before, I will follow @mullerza's suggestion to drive both first.

The original invoice lists electric leather comfort seats as an extra.

Standard wheels were 17 inch, upgraded to 18 inch Valley wheels.
    Last edited by OettingerTDi; 2019/10/14 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    on paper performance seems to be similar but I suspect that NA petrol is going to work a lot harder at our altitude. Do yourself a favor and go and drive both the 3.6 and the V6 tdi, that will quickly make up your mind.

that v6 tdi is a special engine
    Good point Anton, I'll make sure I do that, fortunately a family member has a TDi and going for a drive in the VR6 will be on the cards as soon as the exhaust is sorted.

Kalahari (Occasional visitor to Morningside)

@mueneni - I drive the S4 like a girl, best was 9,2 l/100km on a round trip to Sabie. Used to between 12 and 13l/100km on average.

P.S. Seems that you have a thirsty garage too...
    Addicted to power, but in my defence I live 3 kms from work - so do not really feel the pain.

Stephan knows these cars inside out, worthwhile to hear what he says. I believe there is someone on the group with a 3.6 based in Cape Town, can't remember the forum handle though. Good luck, whichever you choose i doubt you will be disappointed with the Treg.
    Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
    Occasional: 2014 Audi A8L V8 - The Boat
    Towing van: 2008 Touareg V10
    Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
    Farm car: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
    Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
    Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC

The original invoice lists electric leather comfort seats as an extra.
    Ah, the electric-part may be the extra.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Quote Originally Posted by Mueneni View Post
    Stephan knows these cars inside out, worthwhile to hear what he says.

I believe there is someone on the group with a 3.6 based in Cape Town, can't remember the forum handle though.

Good luck, whichever you choose i doubt you will be disappointed with the Treg.
    Stephan is on speed dail, he services my other cars too... Funny enough he hasn't worked on a VR6 Treg or driven one yet.

I'll keep on reading through the Treg owners thread, maybe I'll pick the owner in Cape Town up from there. It will be great to compare notes.

I maintain a VR6 treg like that.

That engine is a gem. Frugal when driven sedately and lots of power when needed but as with any high powered SUV, you have to feed the horses if you use them.

Drive it. You will like it. At altitude it may suffer a bit.

The only downside is the pain the backside oil filter location.

@MariusFourie

Many thanks for your input, that's the missing info I needed. Since I started driving, my Dad and I were competing to get the best fuel consumption, no matter what we drove.

But I do realise that 2+ tons needs be be moved and an indiscretionate right foot can make 100 litres dissappear quite quickly.

Thanks for the heads up on the oil filter.
    Last edited by OettingerTDi; 2019/10/14 at 09:57 PM.

Anton, ons het op 1 van die Audi klub se breakfast runs ontmoet. Ek het die c5 S6 gery. Hoekom nie ń v8 treg nie?

Ek het ook 'n v8 Treg. Selle enjin as die S6, net so bietjie ge-downtune. Jy is welkom om hom vir ń draai te vat om nog ń moontlike keuse by te voeg. 😏
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

Ek onthou, lyk my al die VAG manne eindig hier op...

Vreemd genoeg, ek het altyd 'n sagte plek vir die Touareg 2 met die spaarwiel op die stert en 18 duim Valley wiele gehad. Enjinkeuse was nooit die oorwegende faktor nie, dis bloot toevallig dat hierdie spesifieke motor my aandag getrek het.

Dankie vir die aanbod om te toetsbestuur!

JohnnyB over on the Carforums and VWCBB has one. Check with him on his opinion too.

Quote Originally Posted by DatGuyZA View Post
    JohnnyB over on the Carforums and VWCBB has one. Check with him on his opinion too.
    Great, thanks for the heads up, I will head over and make contact.
    Anton van Graan

2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6

HI All,

Firstly - I am a newbie to this forum.
    Secondly - apologies for Hijacking this post...

I am in the market and Currently looking at a 2008 Treg V6 TDi ...

Short story

It was originally priced @95K... But failed the RW as the Control Arm Bushes needed to be replaced.
    The owner did that and new asking price is R102 000
    Since then, the Engine management light came on ans he advised that it was the glow plugs that needed replacing and he has spares at home and will be replacing it and clearing the faults.
    current 244 odo...

Do you gentlemen think it would be a good buy ?

TIA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast