Sandwich Harbour

Default Sandwich Harbour

Good day, Iím looking for some reassurance, doís and donít do. We going to Swakopmund in early January and want to try do a bit of beach and dune driving. I did some research on Sandwich Harbour and I got a few questions for reassurance.

Where the best place to get a permit?

Following the beach is simple but what about going through the dunes on the way back?

Can one quite freely drive around and play in the dunes once you have a permit or are there dedicated tracks and certain rules and etiquette?

Are there other places near Swakop and Walvis that you can legally drive on the beach or play in the dunes?

Default Re: Sandwich Harbour

I don't think a private person can get a permit to self drive to Sandwich Harbour, (I stand to be corrected here) the only way is to go with a tour operator. It is part of the Naukulft Nat Park, so no dune riding is allowed even for these operators. This is however not strictly policed and the operators do sometimes venture into the dunes.

I was at Sandwich Harbour last month and I rate it as one of the must see places in Namibia, on par with Sossus Vlei and Dead Vlei.

Check out the pics of the first day of our trip:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...and?highlight=
    Last edited by Merwe Erasmus; 2019/10/14 at 12:51 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Merwe Erasmus View Post
    I don't think a private person can get a permit to self drive to Sandwich Harbour, (I stand to be corrected here) the only way is to go with a tour operator. It is part of the Naukulft Nat Park, so no dune riding is allowed even for these operators. This is however not strictly policed and the operators do sometimes venture into the dunes.

I was at Sandwich Harbour last month and I rate it as one of the must see places in Namibia, on par with Sossus Vlei and Dead Vlei.

Check out the pics of the first day of our trip:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...and?highlight=
    Which operator did you go through?

We went on the hike with Live the Journey, they have a concession to go into the desert south of Sandwich Harbour.

Just check with the Namibian Park Authorities, maybe they do issue permits to private persons. That will not include dune driving in the park.

Was verlede jaar saam met n toeroperateur wat adverteer soos baie ander dat jy soontoe gaan maar jy kom net tot op n duin kilometers van daar af, jy sien dit net in die verte en draai dan terug deur die duine. MAAK SEKER JY GAAN TOT DAAR

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post

Following the beach is simple but what about going through the dunes on the way back?

Can one quite freely drive around and play in the dunes once you have a permit or are there dedicated tracks and certain rules and etiquette?

Are there other places near Swakop and Walvis that you can legally drive on the beach or play in the dunes?
    You can self-drive to Sandwich Harbour (permits from the MET office in Swakopmund) but you have to be very careful of your route - make sure you know which is the correct track to follow, I have seen very experienced drivers get horribly stuck there by going across a piece of salt marsh that looks solid. You can lose a vehicle in the marshes or in the intertidal zone, quickly.
    Essential to time your trip with the tides especially if the sea is rough - below the high tide line, watch out for discoloured patches that could be mussel beds concealed under the sand as you can get badly bogged down there.
    And no, "playing" in the dunes is strictly forbidden - there are designated dune driving zones between Walvis and Swakop where you can test your vehicle's rollover limits.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    You can self-drive to Sandwich Harbour (permits from the MET office in Swakopmund) but you have to be very careful of your route - make sure you know which is the correct track to follow, I have seen very experienced drivers get horribly stuck there by going across a piece of salt marsh that looks solid. You can lose a vehicle in the marshes or in the intertidal zone, quickly.
    Essential to time your trip with the tides especially if the sea is rough - below the high tide line, watch out for discoloured patches that could be mussel beds concealed under the sand as you can get badly bogged down there.
    And no, "playing" in the dunes is strictly forbidden - there are designated dune driving zones between Walvis and Swakop where you can test your vehicle's rollover limits.
    100 % agree.

We mis-timed a drive through the Langewand between Sylvia Hill and Meob Bay and almost lost a vehicle due to being caught in the inter-tidal zone...in fact we had to abandon it and came back the next day on low tide....to find the vehicle half full of sand from the waves breaking over it all night..

Unbelievably, we managed to start it with quick-start and drove it in 2nd gear back to Meob...Toyota Raider....

Agree. Mussel beds on that stretch of coast are treacherous
    2006 Defender 90 CSW Td 5
    Nissan Patrol 3 lt V-6 d/c - sold

Nothing is ever what it seems.....:

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

Yes be very careful of the tides when driving along the beach to Sandwich, you need to get your timing correct.
    we drove there along the beach and back to Walvis over the dunes a few years ago.

i lived in Walvis in the mid 90's
    Used to take a sunday drive to sandwich (tide weather permitting) and then on the return trip put the Landy in my spoor, low range 2nd gear and sat on the bonnet, siping beer as the car drove me back home!
    Got caught in the salt pans once, 3 of us in convoy, took us an entire day to get out! Headed home in the dark, so opted for a more inland route, got hopelessly lost and got back to Walvis at midnight.
    what an adventure, learnt a lot that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    where you can test your vehicle's rollover limits.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Yes be very careful of the tides when driving along the beach to Sandwich, you need to get your timing correct.
    we drove there along the beach and back to Walvis over the dunes a few years ago.
    True, but along the beach the best route. Especially since the salt pans have grown and the entrance routes are not where and how they used to be. But yes catch the tides wrong and you dont get to your destination, or worse.

As mentioned best to stay out of the dunes there, a wrong move and you are in trouble. Honestly it is best to go with somebody who knows the area and has done it before. If you need contact details drop me a pm.

For playing stick to the designated areas around langstrand, for which you get a free permit. try to do it in the morning or evening, when the sun is high you dont see the little blind dunes, and those are the ones that break cars.
    Last edited by AboutAfrica; 2019/10/18 at 10:16 PM.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE