Mahindra Pikup (Scorpio) Recovery Points

Default Mahindra Pikup (Scorpio) Recovery Points

Hi, my 2014 pikup has a bullbat and winch fitted, i want to fit some front recovery points so if I'm winching out I could use a pulley and hook back to the vehicle and double up on pulling power.

The general advice i have been given is not to put the recovery points on the bullbar but I can't see anywhere on the chassis that looks especially safe.

Does anyone know where is the best places to put a recovery point?

Default Re: Mahindra Pikup (Scorpio) Recovery Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 4x4 View Post
    Hi, my 2014 pikup has a bullbat and winch fitted, i want to fit some front recovery points so if I'm winching out I could use a pulley and hook back to the vehicle and double up on pulling power.

The general advice i have been given is not to put the recovery points on the bullbar but I can't see anywhere on the chassis that looks especially safe.

Does anyone know where is the best places to put a recovery point?
    Generally the chassis rails or similar but if you already have a winch fitted to the bullbar, the bull bar itself would have to be mounted to something sturdy already. Have you approached any of your fitment guys?
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Estee's advice is good re checking with the fitment guys.

It depends whether the mounting onto the chassis is strong enough for what you want to do.

The photo is of the Mahindra-approved bundu gear aftermarket front bumper that we get here in SA - note the recovery points either side.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ozzie add-on stuff has to comply with the ADRs. So I'd be surprised if your current bullbar was too light for recovery points?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Thanks guys, wow that bundu gear looks good!!

The bullbar of my vehicle is the standard one fitted by Mahindra when I bought the vehicle, as shown in my avatar.

I've taken a better look, it is mounted onto the front end of the chassis rails and looks very sturdy. However the way the bullbar constructed there is not a part on the front of it that has a direct, straight through place to put a recovery point that would be solid straight through to the chassis. However where it is bolted on to the chassis would be a good point, but if bogged will be a pita to climb under the vehicel in the mud to connect to it.

I think I'll take it to the local 4WD shop, they are pretty thorough.

What brought my question about was about 2 weeks ago, got stuck and took around 4 hours to get out it was pretty major with pulleys and two tow lines in different directions, and lack of a good second recovery point was a hindrance I want to fix that.

And Jelo, I'm a Kiwi NOT an Ozzy LOL, we smash them at rugby, they hate us, don't want to be associated.
    Last edited by Kiwi 4x4; 2019/10/14 at 11:12 PM.

Oh, in fairness to Australia I will say one thing in their favour. They are a nation of 4WD officianados, they love it. I have family in Australia and visit regularly, and when there see lots of really nice 4WD's, those guys kit them out with everything, amazing set ups.

That is because in Australia with huge tracts of land and some great scenery, a lot of people find their recreation by regularly heading out into the desert for a few days in their 4WD, and their vehicles are fitted with every convenience a person could need for several days camping in comfort.

If you want to watch good 4WD videos on youtube, watch the Australian ones, they take it seriously, and i believe their depth of knowledge is the best in the world.

And Jelo, I'm a Kiwi NOT an Ozzy LOL, we smash them at rugby, they hate us, don't want to be associated.
    Sorry, had a blond moment, and good luck with the RWC, you need it mate. We only need to beat the Japs and Wales. You need to beat Ireland, then either England or the Ozzies, and then us in the finals.
    Percivamus

LOL .

Personally i think it would be great to see South Africa take the cup i think you guys deserve it. The Boks are certainly the most liked team over this side of the world.

We'll see how it plays out.

LOL .

Personally i think it would be great to see South Africa take the cup i think you guys deserve it. The Boks are certainly the most liked team over this side of the world.

We'll see how it plays out.
    I think the rest of New Zealand would disagree with you about us taking the cup!
    See you at the final!

And let us know how you got on with the recovery points.

Sad story about the recovery points. Took it to the local 4WD shop, they put it on the hoist for a good look. The guy was not happy with putting recovery points on the bullbar because of the way it is made.

The only point he felt was strong enough was well back underneath and would require some metal fabrication which he estimated 2 hours a side, that's maybe 5 hours labour all up. Even then it would not be perfect in my view, there is nothing worse than getting bogged then having to climb underneath in mud to attach to the recovery points. Plus over here, labour in a workshop is expensive I've decided to live with just the winch.
    Last edited by Kiwi 4x4; 2019/10/15 at 08:52 PM.

See you at the finals LOL

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/50097586

Hmm not sure why that is not linkable. Anyhow if you copy it and paste to your browser you will get the story.
    Last edited by Kiwi 4x4; 2019/10/19 at 10:14 PM.

Put it on the bullbar.

However, some rules off the top of my head:

- as close to the chassis rail attachment as possible or equidistant between the two chassis rails (where the winch usually is for good reason)
    - use the correct tensile strength bolts
    - use a proper spreader plate on the rear of the bullbar

If one considers that a Defender rear crossmember is only 3mm mild steel, then a decent bullbar would be just as strong.

Percivamus