Fortuner 2012 Fortuner d4d - 200,000km - now what?





Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    30
    Thanked: 1

    Default 2012 Fortuner d4d - 200,000km - now what?

    Hi all

    My 2012 fortuner just crossed the 200,000km mark on the clock.

    Are there any special checkups that anyone would suggest I do at this stage? I see people mention injectors quite a bit, and waterpump replacement? Any advice or suggestions?

    To date I have done all services (oil changes, filters, timing belt, etc.), and so far absolutely no issues experienced with the car. I also replaced break pads once and tires once, and thatís about it. The vehicle is still stock standard, no chips or anything else. Also since the warranty expired I do the services myself, but maybe good to now just to a preventative checkup?

    My plan is to continue to drive it, hopefully still for a long time.

    Any advice from the experience people will be most welcome!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    47
    Posts
    81
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: 2012 Fortuner d4d - 200,000km - now what?

    Mine has done 205 000km so looking forward to the replies. Same 2012 model
    2012 TOYOTA FORTUNER D4D 4x4 AUTO
    2012 TOURER SP

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    EdenGlen
    Age
    43
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: 2012 Fortuner d4d - 200,000km - now what?

    2011 d4d 4x4 auto - 230000km now. Front tie rods and rack ends replaced at 220000 kms. Propshaft universal joint replaced and shaft rebalanced at about 200000 kms. Using shield and or wynns injector cleaner every 3 tank fulls since vehicle was on 50000 kms and injectors are well within spec. So far so good but think time for the new shape.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    30
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: 2012 Fortuner d4d - 200,000km - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by husainw View Post
    2011 d4d 4x4 auto - 230000km now. Front tie rods and rack ends replaced at 220000 kms. Propshaft universal joint replaced and shaft rebalanced at about 200000 kms. Using shield and or wynns injector cleaner every 3 tank fulls since vehicle was on 50000 kms and injectors are well within spec. So far so good but think time for the new shape.

    Thanks Husainw, do you perhaps have suggestions where it is best to test the injectors? Iím based in Pretoria.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Rietvalleirand, Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    114
    Thanked: 75

    Default Re: 2012 Fortuner d4d - 200,000km - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Thanks Husainw, do you perhaps have suggestions where it is best to test the injectors? Iím based in Pretoria.
    Northern Diesel Injection in Silverton.
    1994 VW Fox 1.6 (W/O)
    1994 Opel Astra F 1.8i (Sold)
    2002 Opel Astra G 2L CDX (Sold)
    2006 Opel Corsa C 1.7CDTi (Sold)
    2006 Opel Astra H 1.9CDTi (Sold)
    2008 Subaru Impreza 1.5 AWD (Sold)
    2013 Chevrolet Utility 1.4 Sport (Sold)
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SRX (Current)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Harties
    Posts
    1,284
    Thanked: 473

    Default Re: 2012 Fortuner d4d - 200,000km - now what?

    My Fortuner is 2008 3.0 D4d and has done 235 000km.
    Of those km many have been off road, corrugations, low range, hot & dusty.

    I have not done any mods except front bumper and Power Brake brake pads.

    Last week I was returning from a trip around Botswana, 100km south of Maun when BOOM! - alternator gone.

    I MacGyver'd my FT the 1 000km back home and on opening the alternator found the brushes to be on their last lap and several diodes blown, and the internals looking very tired.

    My feeling is that at around 200 000km the alternator should be removed, inspected and as a minimum the brushes should be replaced.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, youíre missing the point.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    30
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: 2012 Fortuner d4d - 200,000km - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    My Fortuner is 2008 3.0 D4d and has done 235 000km.
    Of those km many have been off road, corrugations, low range, hot & dusty.

    I have not done any mods except front bumper and Power Brake brake pads.

    Last week I was returning from a trip around Botswana, 100km south of Maun when BOOM! - alternator gone.

    I MacGyver'd my FT the 1 000km back home and on opening the alternator found the brushes to be on their last lap and several diodes blown, and the internals looking very tired.

    My feeling is that at around 200 000km the alternator should be removed, inspected and as a minimum the brushes should be replaced.

    Thanks PRA, this is good advice!

    Anybody have advice on the waterpump?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    212
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: 2012 Fortuner d4d - 200,000km - now what?

    I have the 2012 4x4 auto Fortuner and did my waterpump at 148000km as it was giving a slight coolant spray on the cambelt cover and it was just before December holidays last year. Not that difficult to do, just ensure you get the correct version of the pump before removing current one (you get a one or two part pump). Think I paid R700 odd for the pump and another few hundred for the coolant. All in all money well spent and it took me all of an hour and a half to complete.
    As preventative measure I would get the propshaft and u-joints (if 4x2 look at the center bearing as well) checked by a professional, also have the suspension and bushes, steering components checked for any possible play.

    I'm hoping to drive mine to at least 300 000km before selling

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •