Defender Td5 Comparisons

Thread: Td5 Comparisons

Default Td5 Comparisons

Hi All
    I am curious about a few items on my son's 2004 td5 defender. I own a Puma so obviously I cant compare.
    Average fuel consumption is 8.5 km/litre.
    Currently keeping maximum speed to about 110 kms/hour as advised.
    Is this the recommended speed on the open road so as to look after the motor.
    When going up hills he needs to keep the revs up or drop down to fourth gear.
    Again what would the recommended rpm/s be and what could he push it to so as to maintain speed in fifth gear. Thanks.

Default Re: Td5 Comparisons

With the 110 td5 there is no rev counter so my driving is not done via reference to revs but rather via power feel and engine sound.

Cruising on the highway I keep it to between 90 and 100 trying to keep it at around 95. This feels to me to be the comfortable car happy speed with the idea of maximising the life of the car. Saved a fair wack in speeding fines a well.

Not flooring it in 5th and just dropping to 4th on hills when the speed drops to about 80 and then being patient and keeping it steady at 80 to the top is the way to go. Few hills cause a drop to 60-70 requiring a drop to 3rd gear. Thats pretty much it - reckon the best is kep it simple and safe and don't push your luck. Lets face it - it is a glorified tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    With the 110 td5 there is no rev counter so my driving is not done via reference to revs but rather via power feel and engine sound.

Cruising on the highway I keep it to between 90 and 100 trying to keep it at around 95. This feels to me to be the comfortable car happy speed with the idea of maximising the life of the car. Saved a fair wack in speeding fines a well.

Not flooring it in 5th and just dropping to 4th on hills when the speed drops to about 80 and then being patient and keeping it steady at 80 to the top is the way to go. Few hills cause a drop to 60-70 requiring a drop to 3rd gear. Thats pretty much it - reckon the best is kep it simple and safe and don't push your luck. Lets face it - it is a glorified tractor.
    Thanks. Doing 80 in fourth gear on the hills is pretty much where we are as well.

My td5 will happily run 120km/h all day without any worries. Revs sit at 3000rpm which is where the torque and power curve combine nicely.

Removing the centre silencer and installing a larger intercooler did my landy wonders. The td5 isnt bothered by revs. When cruising at 110 I easily achieve 9km/l
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

DJR

doesn't sound right

An unladen 110 TD5 should maintain 100 in 4th with no issues, just not for extended periods. 3000rpm should be nicely in the middle of the power band.

That being said: MONITOR EGTS.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Lets face it - it is a glorified tractor.[/QUOTE]

So true and so honest!!!!!

Thanks. This Td5 has a rev counter. What would the recommended rpm be over long periods of driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    doesn't sound right

An unladen 110 TD5 should maintain 100 in 4th with no issues, just not for extended periods. 3000rpm should be nicely in the middle of the power band.

That being said: MONITOR EGTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post

Most TD5 do have rev counters. At 90km/h I'm running at about 2500-2600rpm which is good enough for me to control the vehicle on the road

Thanks all. Apologies if I am asking dumb questions. One other thing I have noticed when driving behind him is a large puff of black smoke on each gear change. What would the various options be as to the cause of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Antrover View Post
    Thanks. This Td5 has a rev counter. What would the recommended rpm be over long periods of driving.
    under 3000RPM but rather get an EGT probe and gauge and KNOW what the exhaust gas is doing, because EGT is the only true indicator of fuelling and load
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    under 3000RPM but rather get an EGT probe and gauge and KNOW what the exhaust gas is doing, because EGT is the only true indicator of fuelling and load
    Thanks. I will do this. Is there any particular guage that you would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Antrover View Post
    Thanks. I will do this. Is there any particular guage that you would recommend.
    madman is by far the best choice. https://www.madmandevelopments.com/

all my diesels have one fitted, before I take them on anywhere

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Defenders have the aerodynamics of a block of flats and road holding like a drunken hippo. I've found that doing 100-105km/h is where they are comfortable at - and at that speed my knuckles also don't go white nor my eyes wide. There is still some oomph left to accelerate when passing and my fuel consumption sits at about 9,3km/l.
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

I have the 2004 Defender 110 Hardtop. I also feel that comfortable cruising is at round 90km/h when the revs are at 2500rpm. When at 100km/h I should say about 2750rpm and at 110kmh at 3000rpm.

I gear back to fourth when the revs start so go under 1800rpm. That is when the turbo boost is dropping.

Black smoke on gear change is when turbo is not spooled up or clean/check MAF sensor.
    I removed mid silencer to get the turbo to spool up easier/earlier.

Fuel consumption: 10km/l is what I try to get.
    9 km/l is what I get
    8km/l when towing or headwind or at 110km/h
    7km/l 4x4 thick sand overlanding and towing
    Last edited by Wildkyker; 2019/10/12 at 11:19 AM.
    ONE LIFE!

Thanks for all the info. I will take it in for a check regarding black smoke next week. Reading up on this it looks like it could be dirty air filter, timing, damaged pipe to turbo, faulty sensor or last resort faulty injectors. Is there anything else that I can have checked?

Quote Originally Posted by tripodontour View Post
    Lets face it - it is a glorified tractor.
    So true and so honest!!!!![/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken...in the UK it is classed as a truck..?
    2006 Defender 90 CSW Td 5
    Nissan Patrol 3 lt V-6 d/c - sold

Nothing is ever what it seems.....:

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

My Td5 130 cruises at 110-120km/h comfortably at around 2800-3000rpm. I try not to take it over 3000rpm for more than a few seconds as the motor feels strained. Big hills can drop the speed down so downgearing to 4th and just sitting at 2900/3000ish until over the hill is the best option. As everyone has advised, get an EGT monitor for the Td5. It can save your motor!
    Defender V8 1994
    Defender TD5 2001

Thank you all for the advice