You had one job - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: You had one job

Default Re: You had one job

Quote Originally Posted by GT40 View Post
    Absolutely. Maintenance costs are what scare people. Unfortunately in today's world, mechanics often throw parts at a car until it is fixed and the poor customer picks up the tab. Its the understanding that ensures you replace or repair what is necessary and you dont end up with bins full of perfectly usable parts and pi$$ed off or disappointed owners.

But this applies to any make. Luckily less complicated cars are easier to understand and the bins dont end up as full.
    ^^This and this is the reason so many people are scared of Landys because so many mechanics dont understand them and dont diagnose the faults correctly
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

Some of these sites only give options up to a certain age, thereafter nothing.

When placing an ad for an older vehicle you just have to use what description is available - all the options is click this or this, you can not type the description yourself.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    no, we understand it pretty well, enough to stay away
    Oom jelo, you just need to understand that it's not your Series or D1/2..

Thats the problem. People think they understand it...
    Exackery!
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Absolutely. Maintenance costs are what scare people. Unfortunately in today's world, mechanics often throw parts at a car until it is fixed and the poor customer picks up the tab. Its the understanding that ensures you replace or repair what is necessary and you dont end up with bins full of perfectly usable parts and pi$$ed off or disappointed owners.

But this applies to any make. Luckily less complicated cars are easier to understand and the bins dont end up as full.
    Less complicated cars are easier for less comprehending brains to bodge through without getting caught out by a lack of system understanding.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Less complicated cars are easier for less comprehending brains to bodge through without getting caught out by a lack of system understanding.
    Uh

In simple terms, the P38 and similar is too complicated hence it's reliability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Uh

In simple terms, the P38 and similar is too complicated hence it's reliability issues.
    It may be too complicated for the hard of thinking, but it is not "too complicated" to be reliable.
    If that were the case, then the D3/4 and subsequent Range Rovers that built on that complication and multiplied it would be all dead in the water, yet, they aren't.

I put it to you that the P38 was one of the first vehicles in it's class to make such extensive use of electronics and that the guys who were repairing RR Classics and the D1 of the era were simply not technologically on the required page to deal with the level of sophistication it presented, and the owners were stiffed with the bill for "hail Mary" parts swapping in the hope of a fix and the bodges that developed to circumvent the technology that went beyond the mechanics' level of understanding.

When I bought my P38 from Benson, he had put it on coils because the guy he got it off had bodged/bolloxed the EAS up ot the point where it was non functional. Fortunately, I found a fellow forumite who wanted coils, so we swapped out all the bits and pieces, and I now have functional EAS. It turned out the problem was the EAS ECU had gone into "hard fault" mode, (which it does if you understand the system) and once the components had been fitted, all it took was plugging in the magic box and RESETTING the error code, rendering the "terrible, unreliable" EAS back to normal....
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2