Suspension upgrade 2013 3.2 Ranger for heavy loads

Default Suspension upgrade 2013 3.2 Ranger for heavy loads

Hi Chaps.

My mate is looking for an upgrade for his camping rig. He has gone through a set of front shocks and even broken a leaf spring already. The vehicle is kitted out with all the usual over-landing gear and steel bumpers etc.

He has received quote from Camil, Iron Man, Tough Dog and OME, not sure who the best guys are for the Ford. I have had good experience with EFS on my Jeeps in the past and OME....Any suggestions on who he should go with? Maybe even a combo with airbags in the rear to help with heavy loads?

Thanks Chaps
    Jayson

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD
    2011 Jeep Cherokee
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD-50mm EFS Lift, GDE Tune
    2009 Jeep Rubicon-50mm Coil Lift, Branches, Free Flow, K&N, MT`s
    2013 Suzuki Vitara-40mm lift
    2012 Suzuki Jimny-Fully Kitted.
    2007 Jeep Cherokee-Std

Default Re: Suspension upgrade 2013 3.2 Ranger for heavy loads

OME is the only Ford approved but he is probably out of warranty to no issue with other brands.
    On my previous 3.2 and now on my Biturbo Iíve fitted Tough Dog adjustable shocks and left the standard springs and coils. Iíve also got air helpers. So no lift but great ride no mattter what weight or road conditions. As there is no lift all Iíve lost is my warranty on the shocks which doesnít matter as Tough dog have their own warranty.

Fitted a set of Pedders on one of the new bi-turbo and very impressed. Contact R&D Off-road in Brackenfell they supply and install all the major brands and build overland vehicles so they should be able to assist.
    2017 3.2 Ford Ranger Wildtrak D/C
    Old Man Emu lift kit
    Stofpad Box rocksliders
    Aline Dagger
    BFG KO2 285-75-16
    Stanium aluminium canopy with some goodies and stuff inside
    and loads of attitude

Depends on how heavy is heavy
    I fitted a extra helper blade but loaded camper over 1000 kg. Helper blade did help but I removed and fitted Firestone air springs which can , within limits , be pumped to level the ride.
    60 000 km later over some very rough roads loaded completely happy
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Thanks boys!

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD
    2011 Jeep Cherokee
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD-50mm EFS Lift, GDE Tune
    2009 Jeep Rubicon-50mm Coil Lift, Branches, Free Flow, K&N, MT`s
    2013 Suzuki Vitara-40mm lift
    2012 Suzuki Jimny-Fully Kitted.
    2007 Jeep Cherokee-Std

I've seen quite a bit of anecdotal info regarding bent chassis and how that relates to air bags on a leaf spring suspension.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I've seen quite a bit of anecdotal info regarding bent chassis and how that relates to air bags on a leaf spring suspension.
    So have I which caused me some concern however Firestone make a specific model for the Ranger and although air springs can be pumped to 7 bar they recommend max 4 for Ranger. Have checked chassis many times with light, uv light looking for any signs of bending, cracking. I keep to max of 3.5 bars which almost levels the vehicle so leaf springs still doing most of the work. If Everest and Ranger have same chassis and Everest does not have leaf springs presumably when these vehicles designed the chassis can handle load at one point ?
    60 000 km later Lesotho, Zim vic falls to mana pools south of Kariba dam, along Angola border to Epupa falls, old dirt road Kosi bay to Maputo , moremi, Namibia etc etc no sign of any problems
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by richarda View Post
    So have I which caused me some concern however Firestone make a specific model for the Ranger and although air springs can be pumped to 7 bar they recommend max 4 for Ranger. Have checked chassis many times with light, uv light looking for any signs of bending, cracking. I keep to max of 3.5 bars which almost levels the vehicle so leaf springs still doing most of the work. If Everest and Ranger have same chassis and Everest does not have leaf springs presumably when these vehicles designed the chassis can handle load at one point ?
    60 000 km later Lesotho, Zim vic falls to mana pools south of Kariba dam, along Angola border to Epupa falls, old dirt road Kosi bay to Maputo , moremi, Namibia etc etc no sign of any problems
    Agreed. If you take the time to look at the articles on bent chassis, there are certain models that are prone to this and most would probably have bent regardless due to overloading.