Ford & Mazda Ford Fiesta Engine problems

Post Ford Fiesta Engine problems

Good day
    First of all I would like to apologise for posting non-4x4 on this forum, but I am looking for some advice/comments.

SWAMBO's car (2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost) currently has 40 000km on the clock when last week we noticed a misfire on the engine. Since the car is out of warranty I had an independant have a look.

Coils were checked and found to be fine. Next up the spark plugs were investigated. With ford only recommending replacement of the spark plugs after 60 000km and some other sources stating 80-100 000km, it was an unlikely suspect. Two of the plugs (cylinder 2 & 3) were swapped to try and determine if this was a possible suspect since the plugs cost about R300-350 each. Sure enough the misfire moved with the plug, which was promptly replaced.

Car sounded and felt fine. Next day swambo came back from work, reporting that the car was once again low on power and idling rough. Without wanting to take any further chances, I took the vehicle to Ford.

So, now I received a call from Ford stating that the one cylinder had no compression and the engine would need to be replaced.

Does anyone have a similar experience, or advice on the way forward. Should I rather consider rebuilding the current engine?

Default Re: Ford Fiesta Engine problems

Can you perhaps do a compression test yourself to verify what they are saying. I would also check that the valves are operating properly. For all you know it could be a sticky or bent valve. I don't know the motor but that is where I would start looking. Hope you come right

Just seems highly unlikely that a motor with only 40k would need replacing
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to All -in -one For This Useful Post:

Get the Indie to do a compression test.

If the spark swop seemed to do the trick, and then it returns, I would start with the electrics. Mechanical failure would have been there continuously whereas electrical issues can be instantaneous or intermittent.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Might be coincidence, but I believe the earlier 1.0 Ecoboost motors would burn a hole in a piston

Just a quick update.

Visited Ford yesterday to find out what they will be asking for repairs and to try and determine what caused it.

Technician told me that Cylinder 1 & 3 have a compression of 950kPa and cylinder 2 only 550kPa (not sure about the units). He recons it is normal wear and tear which happens to all vehicles. I made myself perfectly clear that if Ford have no other explanation than engine needing replacement due to wear and tear after 40 000km, they have manufactured the ka*est engine ever.

They unfortunately have a no-care attitude since the warranty expired in July. The say I can pay the R92 000 , or take my bussiness elsewere.

I will be contacting an engineering workshop for them to try and assist.

Ja, I agree wholeheartedly. Can't see how that will be normal wear and tear with that mileage, my wife's 07 Fiesta TDcI has got close to 300k on it already. It's tired now but mainly due to poor maintenance

What I also can't fathom out is that in the original post you stated that after changing plugs the car felt fine, which begs the question, how will the problem suddenly change to low compression? Something is not right. You need a second opinion on the diagnosis, me thinks.
    Last edited by All -in -one; 2019/10/08 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Add
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to All -in -one For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Benmasjien View Post
    Just a quick update.

Visited Ford yesterday to find out what they will be asking for repairs and to try and determine what caused it.

Technician told me that Cylinder 1 & 3 have a compression of 950kPa and cylinder 2 only 550kPa (not sure about the units). He recons it is normal wear and tear which happens to all vehicles. I made myself perfectly clear that if Ford have no other explanation than engine needing replacement due to wear and tear after 40 000km, they have manufactured the ka*est engine ever.

They unfortunately have a no-care attitude since the warranty expired in July. The say I can pay the R92 000 , or take my bussiness elsewere.

I will be contacting an engineering workshop for them to try and assist.
    Have they done a wet and a dry test on that compression test. The direct injected engines(petrol) have a serious problem with collecting carbon on the valves. A wet test should confirm this. Then it will be carbon on the valves.

A good injector cleaner could probably sort you out.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

I agree with the carbon evaluation: @ 10,000km per year, this means seriously short trips.

Injector cleaner and a Benoni Tune Up (also called a LONG HARD BURN ON THE HIGHWAY).
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

About two months ago I took my daughters Figo to a dealer for a yearly service. I saw two cars without engines and they were busy doing a compression test on a third Fiesta(which it failed).
    I will rather not say anything more.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wiel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wiel View Post
    About two months ago I took my daughters Figo to a dealer for a yearly service. I saw two cars without engines and they were busy doing a compression test on a third Fiesta(which it failed).
    I will rather not say anything more.
    Yuuuuup!!!!!!!! Ecoboost engines were born with a disease. The normal 1.4 engines were the best ones made.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazda View Post
    Yuuuuup!!!!!!!! Ecoboost engines were born with a disease. The normal 1.4 engines were the best ones made.
    A friend of mine had the 2016 Fiesta with ecoboost engine. within warranty, he had his engine replaced with 56k km on the clock. Also compression issues on 2 cylinders. Apparently it cost Ford over R60k to replace it a year ago.

Took 5 weeks for them to diagnose the issue, submit a warranty claim and another 3 weeks to fit is.
    Once he got the car back, he drove from Ford to another brand and traded the vehicle in.

TBH, I am in the same sticky situation with my Ranger... had enough of Ford, but that is a different thread altogether.
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold