Private Rental

Thread: Private Rental

Default Private Rental

Dear Community

I plan to tour the National Parks for 8 weeks in January and February - the usual routes, but a bit slower than most.
    My wife and I are home schooling our kids, aged 10, 7 and 4 and we are trying to work out how to get a vehicle. We cannot afford 8000 USD for a conventional rental, so have been exploring options.

In a previous thread, "Importing 1997 Discovery from UK", I learned that importing a car to Kenya (from any country) could be very bureaucratic. I am not scared of bureaucracy, but I do not want possible long delays to spoil things. Buying a car sounds impossible, because you need to be a Kenyan citizen.

So I am now looking at "private rental" - I am not sure if that's the right term, but I suppose this means negotiating with someone who has a 4x4 and could use the cash. This might be someone who has another vehicle they could use while renting, or someone selling one, who might want to delay the sale a little to make some money. Our budget is only 1600 USD (8 x 200 USD) which may not get much interest...

Does anyone have experience of arranging such rentals who could let me know where to start? What about insurance?

Anyone like to PM me any opportunities, please feel free!

Again, all ideas most welcome.

Adrian

Default Re: Private Rental

I suppose bundu bashing vehicles are far and wide. If you were coming to South Africa, would have givyinput. Kenya is unknown to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianGo View Post
    Dear Community

I plan to tour the National Parks for 8 weeks in January and February - the usual routes, but a bit slower than most.
    My wife and I are home schooling our kids, aged 10, 7 and 4 and we are trying to work out how to get a vehicle. We cannot afford 8000 USD for a conventional rental, so have been exploring options.

In a previous thread, "Importing 1997 Discovery from UK", I learned that importing a car to Kenya (from any country) could be very bureaucratic. I am not scared of bureaucracy, but I do not want possible long delays to spoil things. Buying a car sounds impossible, because you need to be a Kenyan citizen.

So I am now looking at "private rental" - I am not sure if that's the right term, but I suppose this means negotiating with someone who has a 4x4 and could use the cash. This might be someone who has another vehicle they could use while renting, or someone selling one, who might want to delay the sale a little to make some money. Our budget is only 1600 USD (8 x 200 USD) which may not get much interest...

Does anyone have experience of arranging such rentals who could let me know where to start? What about insurance?

Anyone like to PM me any opportunities, please feel free!

Again, all ideas most welcome.

Adrian

There are only about two other people on this forum who live - or have lived - in Kenya.

The only advice I can give you is to contact Chris at Jungle Junction (the well-known overlanders’ place in Langata, Nairobi). He stores lots of overland vehicles for people. Perhaps one of these people who store their overland vehicles with him MIGHT be interested in “renting” their vehicle to you. Worth a try, but a long shot...

Good luck!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2019/09/30 at 11:57 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianGo View Post
    "... Our budget is only 1600 USD (8 x 200 USD) which may not get much interest...; ..."

Adrian
    Adrian,

IMHO it is a very tight (probably impossible!) budget for a 8 week "rental". Costs for maintaining a 4x4 reliably running on those roads/ conditions are quite high as you may well experience, and thus, in my opinion, and again, it is a very tight budget.

WW is right, if there is a person that may help you, it will be Chris at JJ, but as she said, it will be a very "loooong" shot!

AP

That is a very tight budget and I doubt you will be able to rent anything even remotely reliable at that price.

I am going to speak to a friend of mine that has rented his vehicle out privately before, and see if he can assist.

I now have had some good quotes from smaller rental companies in Kenya and I think by reducing my rental period from 8 to 6 weeks, I should find something affordable.

Adrian

Please share with us few more details about those offered rentals. Many of us are always on the prowl for good rental deals in East Africa. Which rental companies, approximate daily rates, anything.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Ortelius did a considerable amount of research a few years ago about 4x4 rentals in Kenya. See this thread https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...g-4x4-in-Kenya

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

I have been quoted 3,300 and 3,450 USD for 8 weeks for large 4x4s from 2 Kenyan hire companies. I am still shopping for quotes. I will have to reduce from 8 to 6 weeks to get closer to budget. I am making progress and feel more positive.

Forgive me for not naming the hire companies, but I would rather not risk losing the car to others at this stage!

Adrian