Beach near Maputo for day trip?

Default Beach near Maputo for day trip?

Hi everyone.

I'll be taking a team of teenagers to do some volunteer work in Maputo (at Zimpeto) during December (6-16th). I'd like to plan a "day off" for them at the beach. A nice place with some waves to catch (the team is from Limpopo and many will not have seen the sea!). If we could buy food and ice cream it would be a bonus, since it's less for me to organise and try to buy in the crazy place called Maputo!

Do you guys have any ideas for a nice beach close by? We're in the Landy so a bit of sand is no problem. I suppose anywhere around an hour out of the city is OK, since we can do a day trip and then come back at night. The islands and things are out of the question due to the ferry etc. and also a limited budget.

Ponta do Ouro comes to mind, but somewhere a bit closer would make my life much easier!

I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Beach near Maputo for day trip?

Ponta is the best all round experience, but you can also consider going through to Macanetta for the day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    Ponta is the best all round experience, but you can also consider going through to Macanetta for the day.
    Thanks RPiet, I didn't even know about Macaneta. Looks like there are many places there, so we would be able to get food at least. And it's a bit closer. I think everywhere in southern Moz is going to be hectic at that time of year, but presumably Ponta would be crazier?

In fact, the more I look at it, the better it sounds.

Still open to ideas from others.

Meanwhile, is there a specific place to eat here (Macaneta) that's good value for money and has the usual seafood options (I've got to take the chance to have LM prawns!) and burgers and stuff? I like supporting local but always open to options here.

I'd much rather go to Macaneta than to Ponta for a day trip, especially in December. Another option is a bit further north at Bilene which is nice because of the lagoon which makes swimming safer for inexperienced swimmers. The waves and currents at Macaneta can be unpredictable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OffTheHamsterWheel For This Useful Post:

the kind of experience you looking for you can go to Tan n Biki on Macaneta
    Corne

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Madota For This Useful Post:

There is swimming pools, a restaurant and the beach is a few minutes walk. The owner is Lester Mouton. I'm sure he will do something special for you
    Last edited by Madota; 2019/10/07 at 02:30 PM.
    Corne

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Madota For This Useful Post:

I would also say Macaneta would be the ideal place for your needs, however the beach is probably not the best place to swim for someone who have never been to the sea and possibly cannot swim, in fact for anyone who can't swim properly. Swimming on the river side could possibly work though but putting their feet in the water would probably be enough.
    Ponta is a well protected bay with calm water but having said that, you don't want to be looking after a bunch of kids in the ocean, that just sounds like too much stress and it is crazy busy that time of year so personally I would skip that idea.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Yep. Tan n Biki will work for your food requirements, and there is a nice pool there as well.

be warned, maçaneta is a prime example of the worst kind of South African Cultural assimilation. It was really nice 15 years ago, but it’s become a little “Zef” in recent years. But still ideal for a day out.

if you have a bit more time, there is some pretty damn good off shore fishing off of Macaneta

Quote Originally Posted by OffTheHamsterWheel View Post
    I'd much rather go to Macaneta than to Ponta for a day trip, especially in December. Another option is a bit further north at Bilene which is nice because of the lagoon which makes swimming safer for inexperienced swimmers. The waves and currents at Macaneta can be unpredictable.
    Yes, I need to consider Bilene perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Madota View Post
    There is swimming pools, a restaurant and the beach is a few minutes walk. The owner is Lester Mouton. I'm sure he will do something special for you
    This sounds about right...

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    Yep. Tan n Biki will work for your food requirements, and there is a nice pool there as well.

be warned, maçaneta is a prime example of the worst kind of South African Cultural assimilation. It was really nice 15 years ago, but it’s become a little “Zef” in recent years. But still ideal for a day out.

if you have a bit more time, there is some pretty damn good off shore fishing off of Macaneta
    First I had to go and google "zef".

Pity there isn't more time; with trips like this I usually rather overnight somewhere...

Thanks for all the contributions. You guys are welcome to add still, I'm on Google Maps checking it all out.

plan your day ahead so that you will be there at low tide. Morning to midday usually the best time