Analog vs digital battery load tester

Default Analog vs digital battery load tester

Hi--Need some expert advice here--I need a battery load tester for my solar batteries--I see there are 2 available--one analog with the heating coil and the other a digital one.Can the digital only do CCA or is it the same as the analog one?Remember I need it to do a load test on the battery and not to check the voltage--(I do have a multimeter for that).CheersMark
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 50 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

Default Re: Analog vs digital battery load tester

I can't help out on the digital. I have the old analog with a heating coil. I have had it many years and it really works well. Measures voltage and amperage. You test voltage, load for a few minutes watching amp draw and after re check voltage. I use it very successfully. Best of all it was cheap and quality is quite good.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    I can't help out on the digital. I have the old analog with a heating coil. I have had it many years and it really works well. Measures voltage and amperage. You test voltage, load for a few minutes watching amp draw and after re check voltage. I use it very successfully. Best of all it was cheap and quality is quite good.
    These instruments are useful for sure. Do you use it to compare one 12V battery with another or specifically a dud cell?
    (I picked up an analog one to test a single cell and have never had the opportunity to use it )

When loading the battery on the amperage scale simply keep your eyes (safety glasses ...) on each cell. Normally a dud cell starts boiling very quickly and the amperage drops off. Dud cell ='s dud battery

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za