New Eskom pricing proposal - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: New Eskom pricing proposal

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    This is my last account. Their "added" charges, including the "connection charge", are already more than the actual usage. The figures are VAT exclusive.

Even with the new proposed fees, they will soon run out of funds again. To make their business work again, they need to address labour costs, bonuses, fraudulent contracts, get rid of at least half their useless staff and reemploy capable people again. Most of us probably know at least one capable person who no longer works for Eskom.

Attachment 543570
    Do you at least get "serviced" for that

Because when you get screwed like that then it at least needs to have a happy ending
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    This is my last account. Their "added" charges, including the "connection charge", are already more than the actual usage. The figures are VAT exclusive.

Even with the new proposed fees, they will soon run out of funds again. To make their business work again, they need to address labour costs, bonuses, fraudulent contracts, get rid of at least half their useless staff and reemploy capable people again. Most of us probably know at least one capable person who no longer works for Eskom.

Attachment 543570
    Agreed, there is a fair model (where ideally only two line items should appear namely "Connectivity charge"and "Electricty used charge") but that should be administered by a competant organisation. That is a different story.
    '89 LR 110 V8

This is a normal progression when RE gets dominant since the utility cannot generate a profit any more.
    However in SA one is always suspicious of their motive: e.g. Isn't this an easy way to raise the cost of electricity??

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    Do you at least get "serviced" for that

Because when you get screwed like that then it at least needs to have a happy ending
    Yip, every time I receive their invoice and do an eft. All without Vaseline.

Here are the updated figures for 2019 after yesterday's report of their disastrous year.The main things that at a glance are out of kilter: Coal price went up 5 times for the same amount of coal!!!!! Why!!!!!Salaries went up by 250% for a 50% increase in employees, even though they don't produce more power!!!!!Despite the fact that their selling price went up from 18c/kwh to 90c/kwh, they reported their biggest loss ever?What I can't believe is that they want the taxpayer to pay for this stupendous moron cock-up!!!!!!!C
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    Eskom is a prime example of why capatilism is king, and state owned monopolies should never exist.

how the hell do tou screw up a company that has the total monopoly to supply one of the most basic services required for an economy to function. Litererally every single person who is economically active, and their entire extended family is your life long client by default. They need your product to survive their every day lives.

so instead of innovating and staying with the times, and modernizing your business, you sit back, watch your infrastructure crumble, and your client base dwindle, while essentially holding a gun to the economies head, and demand to be paid more for a lesser service. Itís lunacy.

there is no way our power supply infrastructure would have been in the state it is in now, if every power station was a privately run business, and the consumer was given a choice of which distribution partner they would like to do business with!

why did eskom not invest in developing solar technology 20 years ago, so that they would now be the preferred choice of product when one is looking for solar systems. Simple, because they didnít need to, they would just force government to push through legislation to make it too expensive for people to use other companies solar, and then force us to pay them extra because of their loss of revenue
    Donot forget that ESKOM was regarded as the lowest cost electricity supplier in the world, a well run commission with Bonds that were in high demand locally and internationally.
    That is until this government got its members dirty hand on to it.

Nothing is wrong with the enterprise ,it is the "idiots " [anyone who can steal and destroy a country like they did can't be that dumb] who ran it ,who are the problem.
    Example ,SARS was an envied tax collection network worldwide ,until ditto above and ,i could list other soe's similarly.

Drastic decisions need to be made with instant implementation for recovery. But this government talks ,investigates and dithers forever thus maintaining the status quo.

We need a President who can lead decisively and not be led.

Quote Originally Posted by jeev View Post

Example ,SARS was an envied tax collection network worldwide ,until ditto above and ,i could list other soe's similarly.
    SARS is still extremely efficient.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    It would be interesting to hear Fluffy's opinion on this, as well as from off-grid users like Aviator. I think it is pretty difficult to go completely off grid without either some lifestyle changes, and or big investments.

If you are a typical redneck and like to use an angle grinder or welder, have big geysers etc, you will be hard pressed to run that sort of stuff without very big batteries and inverters. Then there is a replacement cost of the batteries and the diesel to run the big genny you would need at night.
    No, not really. We are completely off-grid. We did not have to make any huge lifestyle changes. Only 2, we do not put the dishwasher on at night, pack it and put it on in the morning. And on very overcast days or rainy days we switch of the swimming pool pump.

Oh... and I sold my petrol lawn mower and got an electric one (I've never had the urge to mow the lawn in the rain), and stopped using my kettle on the gas stove and bought an electric one. And bought a double electric induction plate. And another freezer. And busy putting electric geysers in to lower our gas consumption... With a few tips and tricks and some management of the system you can do a lot.
    Dirk Lombard
    Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi
    Mercedes-Benz Viano 3.0cdi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DirkL View Post
    No, not really. We are completely off-grid. We did not have to make any huge lifestyle changes. Only 2, we do not put the dishwasher on at night, pack it and put it on in the morning. And on very overcast days or rainy days we switch of the swimming pool pump.

Oh... and I sold my petrol lawn mower and got an electric one (I've never had the urge to mow the lawn in the rain), and stopped using my kettle on the gas stove and bought an electric one. And bought a double electric induction plate. And another freezer. And busy putting electric geysers in to lower our gas consumption... With a few tips and tricks and some management of the system you can do a lot.
    Please share some details on size of your system - panels batteries etc.
    I just moved off account paid to pre-paid and already save R630 per month (connection/network charges).
    My next step is solar geyser and then panels, but want to be able to use dishwasher, fridge freezer, kettle etc as well. They will battle to add a "connection fee" to prepaid as the PDIs will revolt, riot etc - they attempted that this year, announcing a R200 "connection fee" for prepaid but never implemented it.
    2017 Jimny
    2014 Hajadu 800 (bad bad choice - sold)
    Land Rover FC of unknown age (sold)
    Land Rover series IIA 2.4L 1968 (rebuilt and sold)
    Dirtbikes - too many to list

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3