Ford v Isuzu v Mahindra

Default Ford v Isuzu v Mahindra

Hi

I a looking for some sound,iimpartial advice on which vehicle to purchase as my first 4x4...

I have gone to the different dealerships etc but obviously would be told their product is the best.

So the new Mahindra S10 Karoo DC 4X4 comes in under R400,000.00 brand new with full feature navigation, cruise control etc, has a 2.2 engine and looks robust. Is also a 6 speed manual. Comes with good torque at low rpm. Have a 4y warranty and 5y service plan new.

The Ranger and Isuzu, for my price range under R450,000.00, will have to be a second hand Ranger XLT or Isuzu Dteq 3.0 to have the similar specs as the Mahindra - Nav, cruise control etc. But will be slightly over R400,000.00 and will then be 6 speed auto with hill launch and hill descent which the Mahindra doesn't have. Obviously here I will only have the balance of the warranty and service plans if it's relatively new model.

Is it worth going used as opposed to new for a few extra features. And what is the reliability of the Mahindra, I know Ford and Isuzu are well known brands etc.

Default Re: Ford v Isuzu v Mahindra

The 2.2 motor and drive train of the mahindra is very good and reliable. On older generations the shortcoming was build quality of the interiors and body in some respects, but have seen them do seriously hard service on the farms and hold their own. I think the newer ones are built a bit better.

mommy money would be on the Isuzu though

What do you want to use your 4x4 for and where? That will influence your decision.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

And following the above, if you have not done so already, go and drive all of them. In the October edition of Leisure Wheels they have a comparison test between the special edition bakkies. Include here was the Karoo Edition Mahindra. The pictures are two screenshots from the article about the Mahindra. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_171332387_iOS.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	543436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_171830921_iOS.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	543437

Smile Re: Ford v Isuzu v Mahindra

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    What do you want to use your 4x4 for and where? That will influence your decision.
    Thank you to all for the advice so far.

I am starting out on the 4x4 scene, I want something that will be able to do the occasional off roading. But want something reliable that will be good for starting out and for when I have gained some experience... If that makes any sense

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    And following the above, if you have not done so already, go and drive all of them. In the October edition of Leisure Wheels they have a comparison test between the special edition bakkies. Include here was the Karoo Edition Mahindra. The pictures are two screenshots from the article about the Mahindra. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_171332387_iOS.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	543436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_171830921_iOS.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	543437
    Thank you... Will go and look for the magazine to read the full article, but informative on the Mahindra...

If it was my money - I would rather invest in a new Ranger 2.2XL D/Cab 4x4 or Isuzu DMax 250 D/Cab 4x4!! Maybe a bit less extras than the Mahindra Karoo, but both much more safe, comfortable, more dealers and back-up and a much better resale value... ... and both will do way better on or off-road!!!
    2017 Ranger 2.2 XL D/Cab
    2018 Polo Vivo (Mom's taxi)
    2014 BMW F800GSA
    1968 Ford 20M 2500S coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ha-Ka View Post
    If it was my money - I would rather invest in a new Ranger 2.2XL D/Cab 4x4 or Isuzu DMax 250 D/Cab 4x4!! Maybe a bit less extras than the Mahindra Karoo, but both much more safe, comfortable, more dealers and back-up and a much better resale value... ... and both will do way better on or off-road!!!
    I almost took you seriously until that last bit and that nogal with 3 exclamation marks!!!

Seriously though, you have valid points about safety and dealership networks but that is about where it ends.

As a current and previous owner of Mahindra 4x4 vehicles I may be more qualified to talk about the vehicle comfort, spares back-up and abilities both on and off-road.

Comfort: This is subjective, I have spent 1000KM behind the steering wheel of my S6 in a single day and although tired my back didn't hurt nor did my legs.

Spares Back-Up: Mahindra have a huge spares warehouse, I have never waited more than two days for even obscure spares like diff shims when I fitted a Lokka to my ex Bolero. The new Pik-Up is built in S.A so this should improve spares availability even more.

On-road Manners: Very good for a bakkie. The day after I took delivery of my S6 I had to do some serious crash avoidance maneuvers to prevent a collision with a kamikaze pilot in an A45 Mercedes. The ABS with EBD kept the vehicle stable and controllable.

Off-road: Standard it will go anywhere any other standard vehicle in the same class will. Compare apples with apples.

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

For the OP:

At one time in my life I wouldn't have been seen dead in a Mahindra, no sir, if it wasn't German or at the very least Japanese I wasn't interested. Then I realised how much I missed out on living by having to spend so much on presenting a certain "image" to the outside world. After my bond payment and my car payment as well as other stealth costs like medical aid there simply wasn't much left to go out and see new vistas or experience new things, not to mention the cringe involved in driving expensive vehicles on overgrown trails.

I bought my first Mahindra 4x4 for R200k, it took me to many places over roads that sometimes barely existed, it led a hard life but was looked after and maintained. It never let me down once and after almost 4 years of ownership I got bang on the book value indicated on various online platforms.

For R75k more, four years later, I couldn't believe how far removed my new vehicle was from the first one in almost every aspect. Much more refined, more comfortable, more powerful.

Again I have taken this vehicle on some interesting trips, it has spent about 3000KM in 4WD and of that more than 500KM in 4WD low range. If anything this vehicle has much better build quality than the previous one. Not a single rattle or loose bolt from corrugated roads as yet.

What I like about my vehicle:
    More than enough power.
    Quite frugal. I get 11.5KM/L at 120KM/H and had a best of 12.8KM/L when I was in a convoy of vehicles that maintained 100KM/H.
    Off-road ability. The mechanical diff lock takes some getting used to but it always works when needed. I have yet to struggle on any surface/ in any condition where other similar vehicles just sail through.
    Interior space. I am 6ft7" tall and overweight yet I fit comfortably.

What I don't like about my vehicle:
    The ride can be harsh when unloaded.
    On my vehicle cruise control is not an option.
    Bluetooth is not an option on my vehicle and replacing the factory stereo presents problems as the radio is an odd shape. I got around this with the fitment of a bluetooth unit that utilises the vehicles aux input and usb power socket.

Will I buy another Mahindra? Absolutely yes, I think they offer good value for money.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

FWM

If I may throw a spanner in the works?

This all depends on what you want the vehicle for, if you want to play seriously or more overland 4x4.

When I started out I bought a 4x4 as my daily driver and toy on weekends and the problem was when I took it seriously and damaged the car, which can happen from time to time, I was without a vehicle when it was being repaired so perhaps, if you can, consider buying a much cheaper 4x4 as a weekend car that you can play with and if it gets damaged, you still have your daily driver.