Best route to Hwange from Kruger

Default Best route to Hwange from Kruger

Hello

Once again I need some advice

If we are going from Kruger to Hwange which route would you take? We will exit Kruger at Punda Marie.

Would you take the quickest route to Bulawayo and then to Hwange? Or would you cross into Botswana, drive via Francistown and cross the border at Pandamatenga? I am leaning towards going through Botswana.... There are some mixed reports about bribery and other problems with the police in Zimbabwe...

Default Re: Best route to Hwange from Kruger

Quote Originally Posted by JayRon View Post
    Hello

Once again I need some advice

If we are going from Kruger to Hwange which route would you take? We will exit Kruger at Punda Marie.

Would you take the quickest route to Bulawayo and then to Hwange? Or would you cross into Botswana, drive via Francistown and cross the border at Pandamatenga? I am leaning towards going through Botswana.... There are some mixed reports about bribery and other problems with the police in Zimbabwe...
    I have never driven from Kruger to Hwange so others might have a real opinion how to travel..........................

however because nobody is answering
    my 2 cents:

I do not think the police is a problem at present in Zimbabwe
    both routes will take you some 1100 upto 1300 km to travel with borders in between

you have to explain your question because their are too many options to choose...............
    and when?
    in how much time?
    do you intend to travel straight from Kruger to Hwange?
    why, there is so much beautifull in between?

if you look in the other pages by country you might find some answers what you are passing by, if you have the spare time

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bastiaan For This Useful Post:

From Punda Maria quickest way is through Beitbridge then A6 to Bulawayo, A8 Hwange. If you need to stay the night on the road from Beitbridge to Bulawayo just before West Nicholson there is Tods Guesthouse which also do camping. ( great spot)

I would do this route as its shorter and quicker and much more scenic plus only one bad border. If you do have more time you can go through Botswana but my choice would be direct Zim . Don't worry about the police in Zim and do your stock up shopping in Bulawayo.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ngweshla For This Useful Post:

We did the route via Moz and then Buluwayo to Hwange. No issues at all with police. Where locals were stopped we were waved through. Your issue will be with fuel availability. I found the road from Pandematenga to Robin's camp to be in a bad way, very slow in the beginning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your answer.. And you are right, a bit more explaining is order.

[QUOTE=bastiaan;4244664]I have never driven from Kruger to Hwange so others might have a real opinion how to travel..........................

my 2 cents:

both routes will take you some 1100 upto 1300 km to travel with borders in between

you have to explain your question because their are too many options to choose...............
    and when? We will travel in late july 2020.
    in how much time? As quick as possible, so one night in between. This is our 7th trip (5th selfdrive) to Africa and we like the big parks like Kgalagadi, Kruger, Etosha, CKGR etc. You get the idea.
    do you intend to travel straight from Kruger to Hwange? Yes
    why, there is so much beautifull in between? Limited time (last time we had 6 weeks, this time only 3 weeks). And we have been to Zimbabwe and Botswana before, so we have an idea what we are missing.

if you look in the other pages by country you might find some answers what you are passing by, if you have the spare time[/QUOTE

[QUOTE=JayRon;4246015]Thank you for your answer.. And you are right, a bit more explaining is order.

Quote Originally Posted by bastiaan View Post
    I have never driven from Kruger to Hwange so others might have a real opinion how to travel..........................

my 2 cents:

and when? We will travel in late july 2020.
    in how much time? As quick as possible, so one night in between. This is our 7th trip (5th selfdrive) to Africa and we like the big parks like Kgalagadi, Kruger, Etosha, CKGR etc. You get the idea.
    do you intend to travel straight from Kruger to Hwange? Yes
    why, there is so much beautifull in between? Limited time (last time we had 6 weeks, this time only 3 weeks). And we have been to Zimbabwe and Botswana before, so we have an idea what we are missing.

if you look in the other pages by country you might find some answers what you are passing by, if you have the spare time[/QUOTE

If you travel in july 2020 I would wait for a decision.
    The situation in Zimbabwe at present is stable but as you will know very bad.

It's safe to travel, that's not the problem but food shortage, money and petrol etc are a major problem and are expected to get worse. also read the other topics on this subject
    nobody knows what will happen next year.

I myself hate Beitbridge allthough at present it seems to be calm.
    In due course check on this page the situation at that border crossing because it has been very bad.
    the longer route via Botswana might be much easier and less stressful

I myself might travel to Zim in Feb 2020 but will only decide to go on the very last moment.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bastiaan For This Useful Post:

Driving via Beitbridge-Bulawayo definitely quicker. No issues with Zim cops at present. I will be in Zim in a couple of weeks so will advise if I find otherwise.

Fuel situation in Zim getting worse. That may be a problem.

Via Botswana will be longer due to multiple border crossings.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Absie For This Useful Post: