T4A on new Garmin Overlander - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: T4A on new Garmin Overlander

Hi,

The maps created for the Overlander (and other new Garmins) include T4A data, roads and POI. However we have no control over the creation of this map and it is bundled with tracks which we don't agree with. I travelled extensively on this map and found many ghost roads on it. In terms of numbers it would probably be impressive but ito accuracy I do not trust it.

I also do not have any idea how complete the POI set on this map is compared to our own.

Then there is the time lag to consider. Once we release a map it goes to market and at the same time that data goes through a process of incorporation and integration where you may find a lag of between 12 and 18months to market.

I would still go with a pure T4A map. I guess I am bias but maybe some users could comment on their own experiences here.

It would make no difference if the T4A maps are on a SD card or internal memory.

Kind Regards
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

I have downloaded T4A map on my Overlander. going to "My Maps" there is about 15 maps ticked as active. When I unticked all except T4A it does not make any difference on the landscape picture (on previous Garmin device it did). Any suggestions how to go about this please? All maps active or only T4A active?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ps 16:5

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    I have downloaded T4A map on my Overlander. going to "My Maps" there is about 15 maps ticked as active. When I unticked all except T4A it does not make any difference on the landscape picture (on previous Garmin device it did). Any suggestions how to go about this please? All maps active or only T4A active?

Thanks
    Hi Chris,

Please be sure to have only one map ticked - so only tick the T4A map. I think what you see it at the moment, is that the T4A map is active and "on top" of the other maps when you look at the map on the GPS screen. So when you turn off the other maps, you keep on seeing just the T4A map.

When you have more than one map activated, the device gets confused about which map it should be using once you start driving - often the device will freeze, or randomly select another map to use, causing great confusion!

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hi Chris,

Please be sure to have only one map ticked - so only tick the T4A map. I think what you see it at the moment, is that the T4A map is active and "on top" of the other maps when you look at the map on the GPS screen. So when you turn off the other maps, you keep on seeing just the T4A map.

When you have more than one map activated, the device gets confused about which map it should be using once you start driving - often the device will freeze, or randomly select another map to use, causing great confusion!

Regards

Lizette
    Hi Lizette

Thanks for the help. I played around with the maps and observe that T4A has contour lines and CN maps not. CN map "overrides" the T4A map, with both active you see CN map. As you said it is better to activate T4A alone for full use of it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris B For This Useful Post:

I have found on my Nuvi that I need to restart the device to implement the changed map option. Sometimes it is as if the memory still holds the previous selections. If that makes sense.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Not to hijack the thread, but I understand there is a way of transferring a route that was created in Mapsource or Basecamp using the T4A maps directly to an Overlander. I've heard it can be done without going via Garmin Explore. If it can be done, can someone please explain the process. Thanks.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8 "Matchbox". Toyota Hi-Lux D4D 4x4 "Willebees" (My daily drive). Afrispoor Cheetah 2-Sleeper Easy Camper. Hyundai i20 1.6 (SWAMBO's daily drive).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HermanvdW For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HermanvdW View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I understand there is a way of transferring a route that was created in Mapsource or Basecamp using the T4A maps directly to an Overlander. I've heard it can be done without going via Garmin Explore. If it can be done, can someone please explain the process. Thanks.
    I found this very useful link. https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?fa...n05qfYenxnL3d6
    I tried it and it does work.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8 "Matchbox". Toyota Hi-Lux D4D 4x4 "Willebees" (My daily drive). Afrispoor Cheetah 2-Sleeper Easy Camper. Hyundai i20 1.6 (SWAMBO's daily drive).

I found this very useful link. https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?fa...n05qfYenxnL3d6
    Hallo Herman,

Apologies for not responding to your first post, but thank you for posting this link, it is a great help!

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Hi Herman,

I assume you are using a Windows PC? The problem we encounter is that this GPS does not want to connect to a Mac. So that means none of the Garmin tutorials will work. Some users could get it to connect to a Mac under very specific conditions, like rebooting computer and device a number of times until a connection is found. (Also having to use the Android File Transfer app).

The Mac I have does not have the old USB ports, so I have to connect the GPS cable via a hub and that definitely does not allow the thing to connect.

I repeated the process on Windows PC and no issues, work similar to other Garmins then. Except that the map transfer creates the incorrect folder structure on the SD card. For that you need to go and manually fix it afterwards as well. Maybe subsequent versions of MapInstall will be updated to do this correct. But for now you need to ensure that the map files are placed in a folder called Map. Not Garmin as on other units.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za

Hi Johan,

Thanks for this and I will do it.
    I now have another issue. I create a route in Basecamp from A to B withsome way points in between. When I load the route on the Overlander, directlyor via Garmin Explore, the route on the unit is not the one I created. Theroute that then show on the unit is from A to B, but not via any of my way points. On the laptop it show correct but not on the GPS. On both laptop and Overlander I use the latest T4A map set. Ichanged all the different settings that I can think of but without any luck. Any recommendations for this perhaps?

Thanks.

Ek het T4A op my nuwe Overlander gelaai voor ons safaries gedurende Feb en Mrt na Mabua en die KD 1 en 2 gedeeltes, ek het my 276cx ook saamgeneem net vir ingeval en kon die 2 mooi vergelyk, die Overlander het beter gedoen as my 276.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Bos View Post
    Ek het T4A op my nuwe Overlander gelaai voor ons safaries gedurende Feb en Mrt na Mabua en die KD 1 en 2 gedeeltes, ek het my 276cx ook saamgeneem net vir ingeval en kon die 2 mooi vergelyk, die Overlander het beter gedoen as my 276.
    Hi Andre

Kies jy dan die T4A kaart en gebruik die "Drive" opsie op die Overlander?

Hi Johan,

Thanks for this and I will do it.
    I now have another issue. I create a route in Basecamp from A to B withsome way points in between. When I load the route on the Overlander, directlyor via Garmin Explore, the route on the unit is not the one I created. Theroute that then show on the unit is from A to B, but not via any of my way points. On the laptop it show correct but not on the GPS. On both laptop and Overlander I use the latest T4A map set. Ichanged all the different settings that I can think of but without any luck. Any recommendations for this perhaps?

Thanks.
    I have not tested this yet, but my advice is not to transfer routes in any event. The reason I dont use it is sbecause it normally never works and that goes for most of the units. There could be the slightest difference in settings or map version and the process just does not work. Some units also use a slightly different way in calculating routes. I have confirmed this with having several different Garmin devices in the car and test it with the same route calculations.

I am also not sure if the GPS takes the waypoints into account.

I normally plan my trips on Basecamp to see time and distance calculations and to see if I like the roads being used. If I have to insert waypoints to force the route on a different set of roads then I would transfer these Via Points to my GPS and make a note of them on my trip itinerary.

If however I design a very particular route where I want to include for instance a lot of mountain passes or specific view points etc, then I simply convert this route to a track (righ click on route and select Create Tracks From Route option). Give the track a name which makes sense to you, e.g. Scenic Mountain Passes

I would then transfer this track to the GPS and on the day `i need it make the track visible on the GPS and give it a colour that stands out. Then I can simply drive that route by following the track. I can also go off my route without having the problem of recalculating routes etc. Some of the tag along tours use this same trick to keep their clients to follow the same route but still allow them to go off on their own little detours and then work their way back to the master route.

Hope this helps.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Johann. I will try this 'Track' option you suggest.
    Just for interest sake, I create my routes in Mapsource, then import to Basecamp and from there to the GPS. When traveling we sometimes still make use of the old nRoute on a small touchscreen.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HermanvdW For This Useful Post:

I have T4A downloaded on my Garmin Overlander. I struggle to get hold of the smaller rural campsites eg the community campsites in Kaokoland:
    -near
    -T4A POI
    -Lodging (there is no heading like camping or accommodation?)
    - Then you have to choose between "hotel" or "other accommodations"
    -Other Accommodations- this only give you places like lodges, not the smaller campsites?

Am I missing something please?

Sorry, I found it (campinggrounds) under “Recreation”. What a place to put it......

Sorry, I found it (camping grounds) under “Recreation”. What a place to put it......
    I had a look at what you said. The Tracks4Africa folder your see is in fact the Garmin implementation of our data and our maps or data does not influence what is in this folder. I have reached out to Garmin about the placement of camp sites but also tested what you can do in the mean time.

Not sure if you are familiar with our T4A Africa Guide. It is a special POI file which you can download as an addition to the Garmin compatible maps we have.

If you have our SD card then this file is pre-installed on the SD card but if you use our downloadable maps you can request this file and install it as well.

Once this is on the device or SD card you will have an additional set of POI. On the Overlander this can be found under Where To? > Categories and scroll down to Other categories. Here you should see T4A Africa Guide 19.10

In this guide we have placed a selection of categories we feel is relevant to on the road use. Camping and Lodging are both in this guide and under Camping you can view our sub-categories or All Categories. This should make it easy to get to a particular site. Also included here are the full descriptions and contact details we have for each camp site. This data cannot be included with the points on the maps as the format does not allow for much text to be associated with a map point. Therefor I would strongly suggest getting the Guide and use this.

Hope this helps.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    I had a look at what you said. The Tracks4Africa folder your see is in fact the Garmin implementation of our data and our maps or data does not influence what is in this folder. I have reached out to Garmin about the placement of camp sites but also tested what you can do in the mean time.

Not sure if you are familiar with our T4A Africa Guide. It is a special POI file which you can download as an addition to the Garmin compatible maps we have.

If you have our SD card then this file is pre-installed on the SD card but if you use our downloadable maps you can request this file and install it as well.

Once this is on the device or SD card you will have an additional set of POI. On the Overlander this can be found under Where To? > Categories and scroll down to Other categories. Here you should see T4A Africa Guide 19.10

In this guide we have placed a selection of categories we feel is relevant to on the road use. Camping and Lodging are both in this guide and under Camping you can view our sub-categories or All Categories. This should make it easy to get to a particular site. Also included here are the full descriptions and contact details we have for each camp site. This data cannot be included with the points on the maps as the format does not allow for much text to be associated with a map point. Therefor I would strongly suggest getting the Guide and use this.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Johann, I thought it must be a Garmin thing. As an overlander there is 3 "Places" what must pop out is "Fuel, Campsites and Lodging".

On the T4A guide POI, will it be possible to navigate to a spesific POI as on the T4A guide app this is not possible?

Thank you for the reply again.

Thanks Johann, I thought it must be a Garmin thing. As an overlander there is 3 "Places" what must pop out is "Fuel, Campsites and Lodging".

On the T4A guide POI, will it be possible to navigate to a spesific POI as on the T4A guide app this is not possible?

Thank you for the reply again.
    Hi Chris,

Yes, on the Garmin you can navigate to the T4A POI's that you find in the Africa Guide. If you bought a downloadable link for our T4A maps from our online store, please send an email to [email protected] from the email you used to log into our online store, and request the Africa Guide, they will upload it to your profile and you can download it free of charge. If you bought an SD card, the Africa Guide is pre-loaded on the SD card, and will be available on your GPS already.

The T4A Guide App for smartphones, are (for the moment) not a navigational tool, but rather an information tool, so even though you can see your GPS position on the screen and follow your progress, it does not give "driving instructions" like the GPS does.

Enjoy!

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Thanks Lizette, email send.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris B For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast