T4A on new Garmin Overlander

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default T4A on new Garmin Overlander

Maybe the T4A guys can let us know the the details of T4A on the Overlander, as per the add. Name:  Screenshot_2019-10-05-13-43-09.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  30.4 KB

Default Re: T4A on new Garmin Overlander

Hallo Danie,

Sorry I only see this now, somehow I no longer get notifications for this thread. I have asked Groenie to give feedback, but he is in Zambia at the moment, so I am not sure when that will be.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hallo Danie,

Sorry I only see this now, somehow I no longer get notifications for this thread. I have asked Groenie to give feedback, but he is in Zambia at the moment, so I am not sure when that will be.

Regards

Lizette
    No problem. My notifications also stopped for some or the other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    Maybe the T4A guys can let us know the the details of T4A on the Overlander, as per the add. Name:  Screenshot_2019-10-05-13-43-09.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  30.4 KB
    Hi,

Garmin holds a license to include Tracks4Africa data into their mapping products. This has been the case for quite a number of years but only recently have they started to do this in more detail. The map data is provided to them by a third party who will take Tracks4Africa data and integrate it with their own.

We have no control over the actual integration or the map making process, but we are in talks with the technical teams to assist them in creating a worthy product. The POPI data from T4A is used as is, in other words when you search under the Tracks4Africa category on the GPS you see only our POI data.

The roads data is where the problem comes in. We supply all our data but the integration process may select only parts of our data to be included, and then also not all our attributes of roads are used as is. E.g. speed classes we assign may be overridden with other data. Further to that I have noticed a lot of extra track data being introduced into the integrated map which does not comes from us. I have reported this and assume this will be fixed in later releases nut as it stands there are a lot of unverified data in the map. Kind of like the old Garmap product which used every single source available to get the coverage up.

I am currently travelling northern Zambia and in some of the very remote parts we will be taking out tracks since they have become overgrown and unused. This is simply the nature of remote travelling so often less is more.

The maps are also about 9 months at best behind our releases simply by the nature of the process and release dates in the handover of data. The above holds firm for all new maps on Garmin devices.

In the Overlander however Garmin has also introduced other POI sources, notably that from iOverlander, which I think is a nice feature. But it is simply a POI layer on top of the roads data.

What I do not like about the Overlander is the fact that your track recordings have to switched on and then synched to an online account. The separate trip log I can see on the device so you have a record on the map of where you have been, but I cannot connect the (Android) device to my Mac hence no way to get hold of the data or to upload data to the unit in the field. Maybe not a big issue to most users but for me it makes the unit obsolete. Map settings etc are also very similar to the Drive units where one would have wanted it to be more like the Montana or even the 276 units.

The hardware seems solid with a really good magnetic mount, but you have an 7 inch Android tablet which is locked down so you cannot install other apps from Google Play. Would have been nice to have my birding apps on here as well. Is it worth R13500? DriveSmart with almost 7 inch screen = R3500, iPad Mini another R6000 plus another R1500 for clever brackets. Or a Montana for R7500.

My ideal setup is iPad Mini with overview maps on it plus my birding and mammal apps - can also navigate from here, but essentially it gives me a big map in the centre of the car. Then a Montana for track recording and navigation. But I also run my phone in the car to stay connected and run navigation from here as well. Like the fact that I have several devices for backup. Then I also carry an eTrex20 for backup and for on foot recordings - they are rock solid little units which will last 5 days on a set of AA batteries. But I guess I overkill on tech!!

Hope this helps.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

For what its worth.

I bought the Overlander. I could only found the T4A POIs in the drive section, a separate Icon, but could nowhere see T4A maps, but was able to downloaded it with Base Camp, then it appears in MyMaps with all the other maps are, to be selected or not.

Agree its a expensive Drive navigator But I am still playing with it.
    Johan Kriel

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

So if I read this correctly, T4A maps are not on the unit when you buy it?

If I have a T4A map subscription, can I load it seperate on the SF card?
    Land Cruiser 100 VX Diesel
    Land Cruiser 200 VX Diesel
    Land Cruiser FJ45
    KTM 990S

It would seem to me that the new and expensive Garmin Overlander has far more to offer travelers in the Americas than in Africa. That is, until T4A is fully integrated into the Garmin systems including POIs and importantly, all the tracks and track information.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scalci View Post
    So if I read this correctly, T4A maps are not on the unit when you buy it?

If I have a T4A map subscription, can I load it seperate on the SF card?
    What I understood is that the garmin maps loaded on the unit has T4A maps incorporated.

If you a T4A SD card T4A will work.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/10/20 at 06:25 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Hi,

So yes, T4A maps were integrated into the existing maps, however I am not happy with the result as it is now contaminated with a lot of tracks which really just do not exist. These could mostly be ignored but in some areas it will affect routing and you will end up driving through someone's kasava field.

Can you load the original T4A maps to the unit?

Yes, you can do so. I tested inserting a 19.10 SD card and it worked. But I have to say that we changed the file structure on this version of the SD card so accomodate recent changes in the way the Garmin units read the maps. I have to test it thoroughly when I am back in the office to say with certainty if the older SD cards will work as is. But the changes in file structure is simple to make by yourself as well. Garmin also tested loading the T4A maps from Basecamp to the unit, but I have a Mac with me and cannot get the Mac to communicate with the unit. So I awill have to test this once I am back.

So in summary, you can use T4A original maps on the unit.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    Hi,

So yes, T4A maps were integrated into the existing maps, however I am not happy with the result as it is now contaminated with a lot of tracks which really just do not exist. These could mostly be ignored but in some areas it will affect routing and you will end up driving through someone's kasava field.

Yes, you can do so. I tested inserting a 19.10 SD card and it worked. But I have to say that we changed the file structure on this version of the SD card so accomodate recent changes in the way the Garmin units read the maps. I have to test it thoroughly when I am back in the office to say with certainty if the older SD cards will work as is. But the changes in file structure is simple to make by yourself as well. Garmin also tested loading the T4A maps from Basecamp to the unit, but I have a Mac with me and cannot get the Mac to communicate with the unit. So I awill have to test this once I am back.

Hi Groenie

Sorry for the hijack

I recently bought the 19.05 version and have registered it on your website.
    I followed the instructions for the upgrade to 19.10 but it refuses to allocate me a coupon.
    Any advice?

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Hi Groenie

Sorry for the hijack

I recently bought the 19.05 version and have registered it on your website.
    I followed the instructions for the upgrade to 19.10 but it refuses to allocate me a coupon.
    Any advice?

Hi

Just spoke to a Cristel? at your office and she was amazing in sorting it out for me

Wonderful service. Thanks

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Garmin also tested loading the T4A maps from Basecamp to the unit,
    I've done that, and is listed then in myMaps.
    Johan Kriel

So it is early days still and as long as it doesn't communicate with Mac it is a no go for me at least.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

What are the advantages of the Overlander over Garmin's other devices?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    What are the advantages of the Overlander over Garmin's other devices?
    Not sure, I had maybe 3 or 4 Nuvi's/Drives over the time and worked fine for me. Never had one those so called GPS's, except for a Etrex for hiking etc.

I bought the Overlander now basic for the bigger screen and reverse camera option to be used with my camper on the bakkie. Maybe a bit over priced for what it can do. Only the Nuvi's/drives has the reverse camera option. So its basically a oversize Drive with a few extra functions aimed at overlanding and overlanding vehicles.
    Johan Kriel

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Hi,

Hi,

Have you managed to connect the Garmin Overlander to your Mac? I am very interested in the unit however it will make no sense to me if it can't sync with Mac...

Will be great if you can let me know.

Thanks
    JH

Quote Originally Posted by Janharm13 View Post
    Hi,

Have you managed to connect the Garmin Overlander to your Mac? I am very interested in the unit however it will make no sense to me if it can't sync with Mac...

Will be great if you can let me know.

Thanks
    JH
    Hi Jan Harm,

We discussed this offline, but for the benefit of the community I will recap. I have updated firmware on the unit via WiFi. Tried again to connect it to my Mac without success. Not even Garmin Express picks up the unit. I suspect part of the issue is that my newer Mac works with an external hub to connect USB etc and that comms via this hub is compromised. I can see that the unit receives a USB charge via this hub though.

Please let us know if you have success with this.

Kind Regards
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za

Hi Jan Harm,

We discussed this offline, but for the benefit of the community I will recap. I have updated firmware on the unit via WiFi. Tried again to connect it to my Mac without success. Not even Garmin Express picks up the unit. I suspect part of the issue is that my newer Mac works with an external hub to connect USB etc and that comms via this hub is compromised. I can see that the unit receives a USB charge via this hub though.

Please let us know if you have success with this.

Kind Regards
    Hi Johann,

Just an update; I decided to go ahead and buy the Overlander as I think it is the best upgrade for me at this stage.

Anyway so far so good however, you are correct; the unit does not seem to interface with Mac and in my case it does not even give a charge when I connect the device to my Macbook Pro. It does seem like it is relatively easy to transfer waypoints, routes and tracks to/from BaseCamp using the Garmin Explore platform and importing / exporting via .gpx file. I have tried it with some of my current collections and it appears easy to use and uploads to the Overlander via WiFi very quickly. I am however still playing around with this and would like to actually take one of the routes out for a test as soon as the lockdown is over:-)

My biggest challenge at the moment is to transfer my T4A downloaded maps to the unit as I am unable to connect to BaseCamp or Map Install via Mac as we know?! I could probably get hold of a Windows machine and try to do it that way, or otherwise I should just get the SD card since my current Complete Map Set subscription expired on 21 January 2020 and I note v20.03 is available.

I will keep on exploring my options, but overall I must admit that the Overlander is a seriously nice device and, despite the above challenges, seems to be the answer to my overlanding requirement.

Keep Well!

Jan-Harm

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janharm13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Janharm13 View Post
    Hi Johann,

Just an update; I decided to go ahead and buy the Overlander as I think it is the best upgrade for me at this stage.

Anyway so far so good however, you are correct; the unit does not seem to interface with Mac and in my case it does not even give a charge when I connect the device to my Macbook Pro. It does seem like it is relatively easy to transfer waypoints, routes and tracks to/from BaseCamp using the Garmin Explore platform and importing / exporting via .gpx file. I have tried it with some of my current collections and it appears easy to use and uploads to the Overlander via WiFi very quickly. I am however still playing around with this and would like to actually take one of the routes out for a test as soon as the lockdown is over:-)

My biggest challenge at the moment is to transfer my T4A downloaded maps to the unit as I am unable to connect to BaseCamp or Map Install via Mac as we know?! I could probably get hold of a Windows machine and try to do it that way, or otherwise I should just get the SD card since my current Complete Map Set subscription expired on 21 January 2020 and I note v20.03 is available.

I will keep on exploring my options, but overall I must admit that the Overlander is a seriously nice device and, despite the above challenges, seems to be the answer to my overlanding requirement.

Keep Well!

Jan-Harm
    Hi Jan-Harm,

I reply here as well for the sake of other readers.

If you had a pre-loaded SD card from T4A, that would plug and play with this unit (from version 19.10 onwards).

But in your case you have the downloaded maps, and even if you had the SD card you would receive complimentary updates via downloads in future. So if you cannot transfer these from the Mac to your Overlander then you can ask us for the correct IMG file which can be copied to the SD card. You would then still require a way to read/write the SD card from your Mac but there are many solutions for that. We will advise folder structure for the SD card.

I did a test on the Overlander a few days ago for another customer. I tried to transfer maps from Windows PC to SD card using MapInstall which comes with Basecamp. Seems like MapInstall also does not know what folder structure to use for this device as it places the map files in a folder structure: Garmin/Map/ . This way the Overlander will not be able to read the Maps on the SD card as it expects it to be in the following folder structure: Map/

To remedy this simply copy the Map/ folder out of the Garmin folder to the root of the root of the SD card. Restart the Overlander as well.

Hope this will help a few people out there.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Hi Johann

As the Overlander has the T4A POI on it, is there any benefit to still get T4A on SD card?
    If there is benefit would it be better to download the maps from the SD card to the device?

Thanks
    Ps 16:5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast