Frontier remote busy dying

Default Frontier remote busy dying

Hi all. The last working remote that I have for my Frontier is busy losing the will to live, something that a simple battery swap does not fix. It seems as if the only solution left for me is to have the factory fitted immobilizer replaced with an aftermarket unit. I spoke to the guy that used to be the workshop foreman at GM in Hatfield and he mentioned fitting the Autowatch system.

Does anybody know of a competent fitment center in or close to the Gezina area in Pretoria? Google brings up quite a lot of places in Gezina, so choosing one is a bit difficult, so if anybody on here has personally had good dealings with one of these centers I would love to hear your recommendation.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Default Re: Frontier remote busy dying

Quote Originally Posted by Frontiersman View Post
    Hi all. The last working remote that I have for my Frontier is busy losing the will to live, something that a simple battery swap does not fix. It seems as if the only solution left for me is to have the factory fitted immobilizer replaced with an aftermarket unit. I spoke to the guy that used to be the workshop foreman at GM in Hatfield and he mentioned fitting the Autowatch system.

Does anybody know of a competent fitment center in or close to the Gezina area in Pretoria? Google brings up quite a lot of places in Gezina, so choosing one is a bit difficult, so if anybody on here has personally had good dealings with one of these centers I would love to hear your recommendation.

We have a electronics guy in town, that builds the old internals into one of the generic square little remotes. Check if you can find one in your area.
    To rebuild the inner into a new outer. If that's the problem?
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

I can still get remotes for the factory fitted immobiliser in my 1998 Defender, costs 500 Ronds. Programming them involves turning the key on and off a few times in a specific sequence while pushing the button on the remote.

If you absolutely have to go the aftermarket route, just be sure you have it done by a competent fitment centre. However, I can't imagine it being impossible to fix/replace your current remote.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/10/05 at 04:03 PM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Thanks for the replies so far. It is the internals that are busy giving issues. The remote will sometimes respond to the buttons being pressed, sometimes not. I changed the batteries, problem remains, it is as if some or other component on the PC board will only work intermittently. The previous two remotes died in basically the same way.

I was stranded for quite a while in front of Builders Warehouse yesterday just trying to get the immobilizer switched off so that I could start the engine.

Back at home I stripped the remote and eventually after a lot of fiddling got it working again, but I fear it will probably not be long before it gives up the ghost again. I called the agents yesterday, those remotes are not available anymore.

The remote I have now is one that I purchased from GM Hatfield a few years ago when the first remote died on me. Pierre, the workshop foreman I spoke to, said that even if I could still source a remote, he is not aware of any dealer that still has a working machine that can code the remote to my Frontier, the machine at his current place of employment is not working and even back when I got the last remote from them, they struggled to get it to pair with the Frontier. Apparently they had to borrow a machine from GM Menlyn to get the job done, but apparently their machine is also now just good for a paperweight.

Thanks for the replies so far. It is the internals that are busy giving issues. The remote will sometimes respond to the buttons being pressed, sometimes not. I changed the batteries, problem remains, it is as if some or other component on the PC board will only work intermittently. The previous two remotes died in basically the same way.

I was stranded for quite a while in front of Builders Warehouse yesterday just trying to get the immobilizer switched off so that I could start the engine.
    I have had to use two hands on my original Frontier remote for quite a while and the battery is good. Squeeze the battery cover between thumb and forefinger and the button between the other thumb and forefinger.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Gear lock City, have used them often with a smile. My suuz has an immobiliser and CL device from GLC
    Last edited by Tweeling; 2019/10/05 at 08:28 PM.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweeling For This Useful Post: