Default Boat trailer axle replacement

My local trailer shop has an awesome special on new axle, springs and fittings at the moment so I am thinking of replacing these on my boat trailer. Any suggestions on the best way of doing this job diy?. My thought is going to the dam, dropping the boat in the water and then simply removing the spring bolts and everything should then drop out? Am I missing anything?I will take the trailer to the shop tomorrow to ensure I get all the right kit. Am I missing anything? Seems to be a fairly simple diy job, but don't want to end up stranded at the dam with a non functional trailer.

Default Re: Boat trailer axle replacement

Canít you jack up the trailer with the boat on, put trestles under and do the work?
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan Eveleigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by All -in -one View Post
    Canít you jack up the trailer with the boat on, put trestles under and do the work?
    That is an option, but I figured I would have much easier access to bolts and more room to work with the boat off. It also give me an excuse to go catch some bass once the work is done

I had to do some work on my boat trailer. (14'6" Skivee)
    Made a frame with scaffolding, put a few planks across with old tires underneath to support the planks, and pulled out the trailer leaving the boat suspended.
    This gave me more time to do what I needed on the trailer, and I also was able to do a minor repair under the boat.
    Best part was that I did this at home in the driveway, safe, secure and my entire workshop on hand in case of the unexpected.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

What is the reason for change if I may ask?

When I needed to change I fitted a rubber torsion axle (as used in caravans) to my boat trailer. Completely different ride and tow.

You may not get time to fish. Take an angle grinder in case of severely rusted bolts. Start spraying Q20 now. Take new galvanised bolts, washers and Nylock Nuts. Take a tape measure with as you may need to do some coarse wheel alignment.

Have fun.

What are you doing with the old axle and springs? Would they be suitable for a home trailer? If so could we talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikepike View Post
    That is an option, but I figured I would have much easier access to bolts and more room to work with the boat off. It also give me an excuse to go catch some bass once the work is done
    OK no offense intended but it seems you have no idea or very little idea what to do or what it entails from your question asking advice.

What if you at the lake/dam and you need an extra tool, nut, u bolt etc. Now you stuck with a trailer and no way to get it home. Best best as mentioned by a poster is do the job at home. At least you will have all the equipment to do it at home and if you need to get some materials eg nuts, u bolts you can pop down or up town to buy, knowing your trailer and boat are safe at home. Just saying.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Well come launch on the Vaal, I will come fetch the trailer, do the job and return the trailer when you finished fishing

All in exchange for a few Randelas
    Last edited by Alan Eveleigh; 2019/10/04 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Forgot the important bit
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

My local trailer shop has an awesome special on new axle, springs and fittings at the moment so I am thinking of replacing these on my boat trailer. Any suggestions on the best way of doing this job diy?. My thought is going to the dam, dropping the boat in the water and then simply removing the spring bolts and everything should then drop out? Am I missing anything?I will take the trailer to the shop tomorrow to ensure I get all the right kit. Am I missing anything? Seems to be a fairly simple diy job, but don't want to end up stranded at the dam with a non functional trailer.
    I am assuming your current axle and springs are all old and rusted badly? That would be the only reason to replace it all.

We do these mods and changes often. If you are keen on a quote you can drop me an e mail on [email protected] with some pics of your current set up.

It is not that hard though. I would suggest rather just doing it at home where you have all tools available. If you have 4 x tressles and a jack its easy. Jack up, take wheels off and take out the front hanger bracket bolts and it all comes out. You just need to make sure you get the axle dimensions right when you order.

I would do it at home for sure. If you get the axle, the locater brackets usually need to be put welded on as well as the brake lines bracket if equipped.

Apart from the welding, it is a very easy job. I was put onto Denso tape which I wrap the springs in and this means that you only revisit this job every 8-10 years as opposed to every 1-2 years if you are in the habit of dropping the axle in the sea.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post: