2019 XLT vs 2019 XLS

Default 2019 XLT vs 2019 XLS

I took delivery of my 2019 3.2 Manual Supercab 4x4 XLS two days ago.

I took delivery of the 2019 3.2 Auto Supercab 4x4 XLT two months ago*... and "gave it back" two days ago.

*The XLS was not available then.

Crazy you say? Yep, The XLT was driving me nuts!! Why?

Three main reasons:
    1) It is an ergonomic disaster. Whoever "designed" that dash and centre console does not even know what the word "ergonomic" means. He wanted to be sure that the owner could boast "My car has more screens than yours!";
    2) The auto box as been programmed with a Jap high revving motor in mind. My five's ex VW Touran Tdi DSG was perfectly programmed. The Freelander 2 SD4 she has now is also better programmed than the Ford. Both make very effective use of the torque their engines offer, but the Ford just sits and screams away (above 2000rpm) when it could have upshifted MUCH earlier. And please don't speak the word "hill" - it has speech recognition and will downshift every time you speak that word.... even more so when the slightest hill is encountered;
    3) The shudder. Every time you you pull away, between 10-15km/h, the body shudders up and down. My old 2014 Auto did not, so why is this one doing it..... I read on this forum of another person (with a 2.2 I think) who also noticed the shudder. Reported this to Ford Customer care. Their response? " #uck off ".

The XLS is a MUCH better sorted car!!
    1) I'm amazed at how much torque is available between 1000 and 1500rpm!!! This makes the auto screamer an even sadder case. I quickly realised that it has too many gears. I only use 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th.
    2) Now at least I again have a proper readable rev counter - permanently visible , a temperature gauge -permanently visible, fuel consumption data - permanently visible (yes, on a screen - smaller than the XLT's - but MUCH BETTER presented than on the XLT)
    3) It has a dumb ventilation system but at least I can adjust fan speed and temp without taking my eyes off the road (several times as it was on the XLT)
    4) It does not have the easylift tail gate, but I ordered the torsion bar etc to upgrade mine;
    5) Sadly though, the auto cruised at 2000rpm at 120. The manual cruises at 2250 at 120, 10% more fuel being burned just like that...

So, what am I saying?
    Don't be bamboozled by all those laadiidaa screens on the XLT!!! Its all smoke and mirrors. Evaluate carefully between XLS and XLT. I firmly believe the XLS is the wiser choice.
    Last edited by LRwit; 2019/10/03 at 06:18 PM.
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C
    LR: '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive)

Default Re: 2019 XLT vs 2019 XLS

Horses for courses I guess.

I wouldn't touch a manual at this stage of my life.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew123 For This Useful Post:

somehow, i'm kinda doubting that fuel burn goes up by 10% from 2k to 2250.fuel burn is no so linear.
    2016 XL 3.2 4x4 6 spd

What I have noticed on the manual is that when you upshift, the engine rpms do not drop all the way to idle, but wait for you at the correct entry rpms for the next gear, making for a smoother shift. That's a nice touch.

It does wait not long though, you must not waste time shifting. I tend to take a bit longer to shift, allowing the synchros more time to get themselves sorted, so in my case, it could have waited 0.5sec longer perhaps.
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C
    LR: '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive)