Default Re: What Garmin to chose?

Quote Originally Posted by StorminH View Post
    Pretty sure you cant load t4a.
    https://www.shopandship.co.za/electr...rlander-detail

Advertised wth T4A preloaded
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

I have bought an Overlander unit and it was delivered with the BC35 camera as part of a current special.

I am currently testing it in Zambia. For the first week I was running it as it came out of the box. It does not contain OSM map tiles, it comes with Garmin maps which consists of a combination of Here Maps which incorporates T4A tracks and POI. It also has various other sources of POI data of which only iOverlander is useful in our African context.

So today I loaded T4A onto it. We recently learned that newer Garmins require the SD card structure to be slightly different and this was introduced with the October 2019 release (19.10). I inserted the SD card and could select the T4A maps. The Garmin app took a few times to process the content but once it did the map worked perfectly. My drive testing will start tomorrow towards South Luangwa and then on to Lake Tanyanika.

From what I can see the unit does not allow for the loading of your own tracks. i.e. there is no Track Manager function like with other outdoor units. That is a show stopper for me. The software interface is very similar to the Drive range. I cannot find a setting to disable lock on road but will have to do some testing to see how it records the tracks. Have not yet connected the unit to my laptop and will not be using any of the connected features. I also want to test what happens when the tracks needs to be archived as there is no settings for these. Hopefully it will just do it in the background and the tracks will be there when you connect it to your computer.

The hardware itself is very well build and robust. The screen is big and bright which is a pleasure in the car. The units has a very sturdy magnetic mount which is easy to use when you need to remove it from the windscreen cradle. But I cannot help but yearn for the iPad Mini which had to stay home to make space for this one. On an open tablet one would be able to load your birding and other apps. Having a waterproof and even dust proof unit in the car is really not that important. I have been traveling with an iPad Mini on a very dusty dash for 5years or more and it just keeps on working. It sits in a rugged holder which I modified to use RAM suction mounts. In camp I can remove it and use it for other purposes and I am afraid the only time the Overlander needs to come off the dash is when you park at the shopping mall.

I would have hoped that this unit would offer Montana features on a bigger screen. And then make use of the Android OS with Google Play to allow for more apps to be loaded. So far I cannot see this satisfying my needs when travelling, there will be more devices required to accompany this one. Its a pity as the hardware is really attractive.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

Quote Originally Posted by RichisAfrika View Post
    Montana seems to be the only gps that will show all details. Is that so or what is your experience for the "best" Garmin?
    I had a couple of Garmins which served me well including a little trip to North West. (North as in North of the Equator and West as in West of Greenwich) but they were aviation models and were long ago stolen. My normal current "Garmin" for road useis Waze on my Android Smart Phone, and it usually works brilliantly as long as you have data coverage, and the phones I use usually cost less than the cheaper Garmins. Google bought Waze for about 1.1 US$ bil plus another 200 US$ mil for some additional bells and whistles. I am again test driving Google Maps with their limited offline maps downloads and data connectivity switched off and it seems to work reasonably for me so far, though I could not download more than the whole of Southern Africa because of built in limitations on the number of maps you can download and the area each could cover. The Google Maps results are, so far, for me, satisfactory. I am also test driving another app that offers offline naps and navigation. You will be surprised at what you can do nowadays even with lower mid level and price smart phones. In the early eighties, Wits University had a main frame computer that cost millions of US$ and the storage capacity was a total of about 450 mb using 100 DASD 4.5 mb each and occupied a whole floor in the Senate House (now renamed the Solomon Mahlangu House to commemorate his contribution to public knowledge and the welfare of humanity). My modest newest lower mid lever smart phone model has an eight core processor. The built in internal storage on my smart phone stores more than what fifty yesteryear computer centre floors could. The capacity of my micro SD auxiliary memory card adds the storage capacity of additional one hundred such floors.
    Last edited by uri; 2019/10/07 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    From what I can see the unit does not allow for the loading of your own tracks. i.e. there is no Track Manager function like with other outdoor units.
    Yes the Overlander do more or less what the Drives do. It records a track, but you can set the frequency. To view it you need to save in Garmin Explore.

But report back please anyway, its maybe not an outdoor unit, but do a bit more than a the Drive units.

Bought the Overlander; It has a T4A icon in the Drive section with all the POIs. I could download the T4A maps with base camp. Base camp transfers tracks etc form the Overlander , but you need a Explore Account to transfer routes to the overlander. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DCYLaJB0SY

I am not an android fan, but starting to get the hang of it. I like the big screen, and off course need the reverse camera option.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/10/16 at 03:41 PM. Reason: update
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Yes the Overlander do more or less what the Drives do. It records a track, but you can set the frequency. To view it you need to save in Garmin Explore.

But report back please anyway, its maybe not an outdoor unit, but do a bit more than a the Drive units.

Bought the Overlander; It has a T4A icon in the Drive section with all the POIs. I could download the T4A maps with base camp. Base camp transfers tracks etc form the Overlander , but you need a Explore Account to transfer routes to the overlander. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DCYLaJB0SY

I am not an android fan, but starting to get the hang of it. I like the big screen, and off course need the reverse camera option.
    Basecamp support seems only to be for Windows users as you cannot connect the Overlander to a Mac computer. I don't think this unit was intended for remote travel use since you would always need to have wifi access for these kinds of operations.

My field test ended in dumping the unit from the dash. It will become an expensive test bench in the office. The mount's ball joint started to become too loose to keep the unit in an upright position on bumpy roads. I see some threaded holes on the back of the magnetic mount, maybe these can be fitted to a RAM mount which should fix the problem.

The fact that I cannot get my tracks and waypoints really is a showstopper. There seems to be a Trip Log recording as well as the Track recording. Trip log shows up in the usual cyan colour and track in a black line on top of it. Trip Log is definitely Lock on Road. Track seems to run free. I would have to go and find a Windows box to see if I can locate the trip logs on the unit.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

Quote Originally Posted by RichisAfrika View Post
    Montana seems to be the only gps that will show all details.Is that so or what is your experience for the "best" Garmin?
    GPSMAP 267Cx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3