Gonarezhou, Mana Pools and Hwange

Default Gonarezhou, Mana Pools and Hwange

Hi,
    Jan and I, plus another couple, are wanting to plan a trip to Gonarezhou via Pafuri, exiting the north of the park and making our way up to Mana Pools then to Hwange and heading back to East London during August 2020.
    We plan on being away for approx a month, and there are really interesting posts on all the areas, but I do need some help!

We will tow a Bushlapa Rooimier and the other couple will have a RTT, and camp most of the time - what would make the most sense route wise, and which campsites, please add any advice, and if the bookings could be improved please feel free to change in any way - I was last in Zim in the '70s!
    If the itinerary looks too rushed please let me know.
    Plan:
    Leave 1st August arrive in KNP 3rd.
    4 KNP Sorted
    5 KNP Sorted
    6 KNP Sorted
    7 KNP Sorted
    8 KNP Sorted
    9 Leave Punda Maria for Gona Chitove camping
    10 Chitove
    11 Chitove
    12 Need advice where to camp
    13 Need advice where to camp
    14 Need advice - leave for Mana Pools but need advice please on the best route.
    15 Travel to Mana where to overnight - happy with chalet
    16 Travel to Mana "
    17 Mana Pools Chitake No1
    18 Chitake No1
    19 Chitake No1
    20 Chitake No1 to Mucheni 2
    21 Mucheni
    22 Mucheni
    23 Mucheni
    24 Leave for Hwange
    25 Hwange advice where to stay, happy to camp or bungalows or both, but no more than two different sites
    26 Hwange
    27 Hwange
    28 Hwange
    29 Head back to East London maybe via Bots...

To book Zim National Parks is there a website?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Rob

Default Re: Gonarezhou, Mana Pools and Hwange

Punda to Chitove in one go will be rough. Two border crossings and slow roads, as well as short days. Rather stay over a night at Mabalauta where you in any case have to go to book in.
    '89 LR 110 V8

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Dont bother with A Web site ..Get an Agent in Zim or use the phone

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Rob,

Could be that we will meet somewhere in Zim. I have just started more serious planning for the trip to Zimbabwe, probably for first three weeks of August 2020.

I just wanted to give you a remark on your day 24 - I don't think it is doable to travel from Mana Pools to Hwange in one day. You'll need at least two days for that.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Onematch View Post
    Hi,
    Jan and I, plus another couple, are wanting to plan a trip to Gonarezhou via Pafuri, exiting the north of the park and making our way up to Mana Pools then to Hwange and heading back to East London during August 2020.
    We plan on being away for approx a month, and there are really interesting posts on all the areas, but I do need some help!

We will tow a Bushlapa Rooimier and the other couple will have a RTT, and camp most of the time - what would make the most sense route wise, and which campsites, please add any advice, and if the bookings could be improved please feel free to change in any way - I was last in Zim in the '70s!
    If the itinerary looks too rushed please let me know.
    Plan:
    Leave 1st August arrive in KNP 3rd.
    4 KNP Sorted
    5 KNP Sorted
    6 KNP Sorted
    7 KNP Sorted
    8 KNP Sorted
    9 Leave Punda Maria for Gona Chitove camping
    10 Chitove
    11 Chitove
    12 Need advice where to camp
    13 Need advice where to camp
    14 Need advice - leave for Mana Pools but need advice please on the best route.
    15 Travel to Mana where to overnight - happy with chalet
    16 Travel to Mana "
    17 Mana Pools Chitake No1
    18 Chitake No1
    19 Chitake No1
    20 Chitake No1 to Mucheni 2
    21 Mucheni
    22 Mucheni
    23 Mucheni
    24 Leave for Hwange
    25 Hwange advice where to stay, happy to camp or bungalows or both, but no more than two different sites
    26 Hwange
    27 Hwange
    28 Hwange
    29 Head back to East London maybe via Bots...

To book Zim National Parks is there a website?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Rob
    Hi Rob

For the Zimparks bookings contact Christina Mhuriro - she is fantastic & will help sort out all your bookings. See attached photo with her details.

We just came back from Hwange 2 days ago. Stayed in the lodges at Main Camp - basic but spotlessly clean & in our opinion the best part of the park.

If you are camping then look at booking Ngweshla or Kennedy Picnic sites for a night or 2. Both beautifilly maintained & in great areas for game. Specifically Ngweshla!

Hope that helps
    DeeName:  Screenshot_20191001_124737.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  45.5 KB

2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
    (Chief Planner of all trips / Chief Photographer / Navigator for Hubby)
    "Africa is NOT for sissies" "The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa...for he has so much to look forward to" "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to landylovers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Punda to Chitove in one go will be rough. Two border crossings and slow roads, as well as short days. Rather stay over a night at Mabalauta where you in any case have to go to book in.
    Thanks Mike I have just received a map of the Park and see the distances.

Should we just overnight at Mabalauta or spend two nights there, I presume there are camp sites and/or chalets.
    Would Chitove be the next best stop, or is there something in between - I really don't want to pack and unpack too much.

What would be the best exit - Chapinda Pools or Save/ Runde - really keen on seeing the most beautiful parts.

Regards Rob

Hi Rob
    I would stay 2 nights camping at Mabalauta, nice camp with ablusions, to have a look see of southern section of Gona. There is also the option of staying in the Kruger style bungalows at Shimuwini close to Mabalauta.
    Then it depends if you want a camp with ablutions and hot water or a private camp with only a long drop. If the first, proceed to Chinguli through the central wilderness area, if the second get one of the exclusive private camps like Chitove, Hlaro, Chilojo, Lisoda, etc.
    Exiting the park at Save/Runde confluence via Chilo Lodge and the gravel road up to Rupangwana will depend on the river levels, it is usually easier to drive up to Chipinda Pools and then with the good gravel road to the A10 and Chiredzi.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Between Goanarezhou and Mana I would fit in an overnight at Great Zimbabwe and enough time to view the ruins.
    '89 LR 110 V8

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Mike your advice is really much appreciated!

Landylovers thanks for the contact.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Onematch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Hi Rob
    I would stay 2 nights camping at Mabalauta, nice camp with ablusions, to have a look see of southern section of Gona. There is also the option of staying in the Kruger style bungalows at Shimuwini close to Mabalauta.
    Then it depends if you want a camp with ablutions and hot water or a private camp with only a long drop. If the first, proceed to Chinguli through the central wilderness area, if the second get one of the exclusive private camps like Chitove, Hlaro, Chilojo, Lisoda, etc.
    Exiting the park at Save/Runde confluence via Chilo Lodge and the gravel road up to Rupangwana will depend on the river levels, it is usually easier to drive up to Chipinda Pools and then with the good gravel road to the A10 and Chiredzi.
    Hi Mike,

More advice please!

Aug 7-8th Mabalauta
    Aug 9-11th Chinguli. Is it possible to have sundowners at Chilojo Cliffs and get back to Chinguli, and is Chinguli worth a few days stay?
    Aug 12-13th Chapinda Pools
    Aug 13th Norma Jeans (near Zim Ruins - thanks Stan!)

Would you change this at all?

Regards,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Onematch View Post
    Hi Mike,More advice please!Aug 7-8th MabalautaAug 9-11th Chinguli. Is it possible to have sundowners at Chilojo Cliffs and get back to Chinguli, and is Chinguli worth a few days stay?Aug 12-13th Chapinda PoolsAug 13th Norma Jeans (near Zim Ruins - thanks Stan!) Would you change this at all?Regards,Rob
    hi Rob,Chinguli is very convenient in that you can do the whole north park in 4 days using Chinguli as a base. I have found it to be a great base. Lots of driving but you only set up camp once - You can travel back from sundown on the cliffs to Chinguli but warn the Chinguli guard. Chinguli has full ablutions as well. The guard will supply you firewood, order from him in the mornings and MikeN's advise re Mana and a stop before is good advice. Either Zimbabwe Ruins or Antelope park for one night. Enjoy your trip.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post: