Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22

    Default Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Good day ive got a slight headache my trokkies heat gauge rises when i load it or if i drive it abit harder than usual if i ease of the throttle it drops it doesnt go above half and it doesnt overheat, ive taken it to silverton radiators for a block test and no gases in the coolant system any advise. Was thinking about gain to buy a thermostat and changing it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,203

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Depending on age and/or odo the waterpump vanes might be worn down and coolant circulation suffers, or blockage in radiator.
    Also injectors might overfuel a bit so look at getting them tested, injector pump might also need calibration if odo is high.
    What speed do you try to keep - colt is not a race car.
    Neil

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Thanks for the reply well i travel about 25k's to work and i cruise at about 70/80km when i visit my parents out in magaliesburg i do about 110/120 whats the average fuel consumption on a 2.8tdi 4x4 mines about 7.5km/l and the mileage is 221860,bakkie doesnt smoke under accelaration, what i did notice to is that it pushes out alittle water after driving for awhlie at the overflow bottle and when its cooled down i only top up the radiator about 500ml not the overflow bottle its full. I hear thier are two types of thermostats which one should i get i also put a new radiator cap on the 1.1bar.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Standerton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    Depending on age and/or odo the waterpump vanes might be worn down and coolant circulation suffers, or blockage in radiator.
    Also injectors might overfuel a bit so look at getting them tested, injector pump might also need calibration if odo is high.
    What speed do you try to keep - colt is not a race car.
    In 40 years working as a mechanic I never saw an impeller on a pump being worn to such an extend that it caused overheating.

    The item that I would regard as the most neglected as far as overheating is concerned is the visco fan. As heat build up you should hear it putting in more effort.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Standerton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi fan View Post
    Thanks for the reply well i travel about 25k's to work and i cruise at about 70/80km when i visit my parents out in magaliesburg i do about 110/120 whats the average fuel consumption on a 2.8tdi 4x4 mines about 7.5km/l and the mileage is 221860,bakkie doesnt smoke under accelaration, what i did notice to is that it pushes out alittle water after driving for awhlie at the overflow bottle and when its cooled down i only top up the radiator about 500ml not the overflow bottle its full. I hear thier are two types of thermostats which one should i get i also put a new radiator cap on the 1.1bar.
    If the expansion bottle stay "full" and you need to top the radiator it indicates something bad.

    The expansion bottle have 2 marks, one for hot and one for cold. When the engine heats up the coolant will expand and the the surplus will be dumped in the expansion bottle. If the engine cools the coolant will contract and will be sucked from the expansion bottle back into the engine. Note level after stopping and leaving overnight. The simple old expansion bottle is your eyes inside your cooling system

    The radiator cap control both these actions.

    One way of increasing the boiling point of water is to pressurize it. A "higher" spec cap does not necessarily improve heat control. An engine is designed using x pressure. Keep to that rating.

    The "gas" test is not always reliable. I recently had a problem over heater and the test was only positive after the 4th attempt.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,894

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Martingx View Post
    In 40 years working as a mechanic I never saw an impeller on a pump being worn to such an extend that it caused overheating.
    Lots of respect for your experience, but I had precisely that issue on a Rover V8.........

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,203

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi fan View Post
    Thanks for the reply well i travel about 25k's to work and i cruise at about 70/80km when i visit my parents out in magaliesburg i do about 110/120 whats the average fuel consumption on a 2.8tdi 4x4 mines about 7.5km/l and the mileage is 221860,bakkie doesnt smoke under accelaration, what i did notice to is that it pushes out alittle water after driving for awhlie at the overflow bottle and when its cooled down i only top up the radiator about 500ml not the overflow bottle its full. I hear thier are two types of thermostats which one should i get i also put a new radiator cap on the 1.1bar.
    I drive mine the same - now on 230xxx km. Town driving (work, school, home, shops) gives me 8.5km/l (driving like my grand dad), highway depends on conditions but in general I get 9.5km/l with 4 people, moderately loaded and driving at 100km/h.
    I think you might have the start of the dreaded head issue seeing that you have to fill up with water, a combustion gas test won't always show if there are problems or not, you can also have a leakdown test done (they put the cooling system under pressure and check if it holds pressure over time).
    I once had an issue with a small leak on a cooling pipe, did not show clearly because the heat made the coolant evaporate but it did loose water and ran slightly hotter (I have a madman EMS so I see water temps etc.), so make 110% sure the pipes and radiator etc. are all good.
    Explore all "cheap" options (water pipes, radiator, water-pump etc.) before having anybody remove the head.
    Neil

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,203

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Martingx View Post
    In 40 years working as a mechanic I never saw an impeller on a pump being worn to such an extend that it caused overheating.

    The item that I would regard as the most neglected as far as overheating is concerned is the visco fan. As heat build up you should hear it putting in more effort.
    2Liter Astra two years ago, 210xxxkm, started running hotter than normal, after checking all cooling related stuff I replaced the waterpump, vanes visibly worn compared to new one. Car ran normal after that.
    About 6 weeks ago, friend's Nissan Champ on 350xxxkm had overheating issues, replaced waterpump - it was badly warn inside, issue solved.
    Neil

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Thankyou for all the replies and advise ive ordered a thermostat and water pump gain to do that the weekend and also flush radiator out and check all pipes. What i also noticed is that my visco fans blades all have a piece missing the size of a 5 rand coin as if it was rubbing something can this also have and effect and does anybody know where i can get one in the krugersdorp area only need the plastic part.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Standerton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    2Liter Astra two years ago, 210xxxkm, started running hotter than normal, after checking all cooling related stuff I replaced the waterpump, vanes visibly worn compared to new one. Car ran normal after that.
    About 6 weeks ago, friend's Nissan Champ on 350xxxkm had overheating issues, replaced waterpump - it was badly warn inside, issue solved.
    I have seen water pump casings worn to such an extend that it started leaking coolant without causing overheating problems. The water pump is designed to be very inefficient and is really the last item that I would look at.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    32
    Posts
    960

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    A friend of mine with a 2.8 colt had some similar symptoms.
    The car would be perfect in light driving even over long distances, no water being pushed out. When he drove harder then it could push some water out the overflow.
    Long story short it was the head gasket / head and or block surface. From memory I think the previous mechanic that changed the head (to one of those AMC ones I think) didn't ensure the block was flat.

    I still found this quite weird in that it was intermittent and the car never actually overheated.
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2DiD

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Thanks for the info reflex i was hoping itsnot the head ive had 3 block tests done at 3 different places and gas in the cooling system so i have no idea my water pump and thermostat will arive today so i will fit it the weekend any idea where i can get fan blades for my bakkie woyld like to do it all the same time.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    32
    Posts
    960

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi fan View Post
    Thanks for the info reflex i was hoping itsnot the head ive had 3 block tests done at 3 different places and gas in the cooling system so i have no idea my water pump and thermostat will arive today so i will fit it the weekend any idea where i can get fan blades for my bakkie woyld like to do it all the same time.
    Yeah I also hope it isn't that. But I'm holding thumbs for the water pump and thermostat change!
    I assume you have checked the radiator for blockage between the fins? I found mine had quite a lot of stuff like grass seeds stuck in there
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2DiD

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    It had alot of grass i just washed it with a hose pipe but will rake it out the weekend and do a proper job.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22

    Smile Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Changed the thermostat today see the previous owner never put one in,changed the water pump aswell saw the old one had quite abit of play on it and the blades were alittle worn compared to the new one also sprayed out radiator it had alot of mud in between the fins and seeds and i also flushed it out alot of dirty water came out thier brown as hell also cleant out the overflow bottle saw thoer was a piece pf pipe in thier laying loose aswell as a rubber washer amd the pipe that was fitted was to long so it curled when put in, gonna go test in the next 30 min will give an update shortly. Fingers crossed.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,781

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi fan View Post
    Changed the thermostat today see the previous owner never put one in,changed the water pump aswell saw the old one had quite abit of play on it and the blades were alittle worn compared to the new one also sprayed out radiator it had alot of mud in between the fins and seeds and i also flushed it out alot of dirty water came out thier brown as hell also cleant out the overflow bottle saw thoer was a piece pf pipe in thier laying loose aswell as a rubber washer amd the pipe that was fitted was to long so it curled when put in, gonna go test in the next 30 min will give an update shortly. Fingers crossed.
    Hope it helps. These engines are not known for tolerating too much heat unfortunately which makes me think you must perhaps start budgeting for a new head. It will fail at some stage.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Buccleuch
    Age
    50
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    I was just reading it now.
    That little piece of pipe has to be connected to the cap of the overflow bottle to be able to suck water back to the radiator. I had a similar issue a while ago. Thought it was the head and it was the little pipe..
    Fred
    2005 Colt (Ex) had a few mods
    1999 Colt 2.8TDi DC (Now) Now with Stofpad bashplate ...(Motor she's in.. Let the other work carry on...)
    http://www.hotfrog.co.za/Companies/F...Handy-Handyman

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22

    Talking Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Okay drove about 20km heat gauge went to just under half and stayed thier,my intercooler fan is also working properly now it never worked before now it is. Also no water been pushed out and no leaks i also went and had a 63mm freeflow with one box fitted it ends just before the diff sounds amazing. I also tried the airbox modification to try get abit brtter consumption. With update soon again.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Okay thought i shoyld give some feedback on my lorrie i have driven about 1200km and havent topped up any coolant no heating issues as well. Had a 63mm freeflow with one box fitted sou ds amazing, no i just need to try sort out better fuel consumption im getting around 6.12km per litre but thats with 32/12.5/15 on any recommendations as to where i can take my bakkie in westrand for the diesel pump.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,203

    Default Re: Colt 2.8 tdi heat gauge problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi fan View Post
    Okay thought i shoyld give some feedback on my lorrie i have driven about 1200km and havent topped up any coolant no heating issues as well. Had a 63mm freeflow with one box fitted sou ds amazing, no i just need to try sort out better fuel consumption im getting around 6.12km per litre but thats with 32/12.5/15 on any recommendations as to where i can take my bakkie in westrand for the diesel pump.
    Alan Black for diesel pump and injectors, he is in Springs - don't know how far that is from you.
    Did you use antifreeze as well.
    Did you also change the downpipe with the exhaust change?
    Neil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •