Is the Baviaanskloof R332 traversable by 8m long, 10.5 ton, 4x4 camper truck??

Default Is the Baviaanskloof R332 traversable by 8m long, 10.5 ton, 4x4 camper truck??

Hello folks,

We would love to drive the scenic Baviaanskloof R332 route in our camper truck.

Is this route accessable for a 10.5 ton 4x4 truck? We are about 8m long and 3.6m high.

The truck can turn on a dime so not too worried about sharp bends, but we are worried about low overhanging trees (although we do have branch deflectors fitted) or rock formations that we might not be able to get under?

I have watched the orientation videos on the park's website and it seems fine, but the videos do not cover all of the route. I am concerned over any 2-spoor parts of the track as we are wider than a standard 4x4's wheel track.

And I am particularly worried about the Holgat Pass and the chaos it may cause should oncoming vehicles be unable to pass us?

We would like to drive the route from West to East in early January.

Any educated advice appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Family Friendly 4x4; 2019/09/29 at 11:49 PM.
    2019 Iveco ML150E24 4x4 Overland Truck (in build process)
    2015 Fuso FG6-136 4x4 LWB
    for work
    and
    2017 Fuso FG6-136 4x4 Camper Truck (Now up for Sale!! For details see May & June 2019 editions of Caravan & Outdoor Life magazine)

Boldly going where everyone else has already been!

Default Re: Is the Baviaanskloof R332 traversable by 8m long, 10.5 ton, 4x4 camper truck??

I cannot think of overhanging rocks that will be a problem. But the road do get very narrow at stages where opposite direction vehicles might not be able to pass.

But I am as curious as you to hear comments.

Bostoe

Default Re: Is the Baviaanskloof R332 traversable by 8m long, 10.5 ton, 4x4 camper truck??

Should be no problem.

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable

Should be fine, we encountered a very large Unimog camper 2 weeks ago in the Baviaans, and people I spoke to later had to reverse 500m for the same truck.

But, itís all about timing etc.

We got the Unimog on the widest part of the road, but almost got taken out by a young German lighty in a rental bakkie coming around a corner waaaaay to fast

Take it slow, enjoy the amazing scenery and enjoy.

There are a few narrow, bush/reed/tree lined sections, but I take it you are accustomed to dealing with this in your truck.

No rocky overhangs that would damage the truck.

Post a pic of your rig please?
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!