Extremely hard ride

Default Extremely hard ride

Hi all
    Ive just replaced my 'Queens'(her name) cab mounts, she's a 1990 2.5 single cab 4x4, been in the family since new, I put in those yellow mounts, think they made of polyurethane, was hoping for a improved ride but its even worse now, poor old girl rattles like hell on the ground road, I thought of adding a piece of the old mounts rubber to dampen the ride, I know I should probably take the plunge and buy the genuine parts from the stealers but they are so expensive, would REALLY APPRECIATE any advice.

Default Re: Extremely hard ride

Check your bolts have enough thread to compress the rubbers down to the metal tubes. Unfortunately the yellow etc rubbers are harder. Maybe relook at your suspension and set ride heights. My after market cab rubbers squeaked like hell till they got worn in.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

This is what I dont understand with the whole polly bush craze. These perfectly good parts, which dampen the vibration as designed wear out after 10 to 20 years and now we are all critical of that and replace them with polly version which dont dampen anything and we think we making it better
    ?

Replace like for like and be done with it. (That doesn't mean OEM)
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Agreed, the original rubbers are best but only at the stealers, their prices are crazy, cant believe one cant get after market Rubber mounts, my temperature and diesel gauges jump up and down on the ground rd when I go over the correlations, worried they going to snap off
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190917_090935.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	542549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190917_091002.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	542550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190917_090943.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	542551

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    This is what I dont understand with the whole polly bush craze. These perfectly good parts, which dampen the vibration as designed wear out after 10 to 20 years and now we are all critical of that and replace them with polly version which dont dampen anything and we think we making it better
    ?

Replace like for like and be done with it. (That doesn't mean OEM)
    If only they made after market, or for that matter current OEM, like they used to, it would be great. I'm not fighting the fact that Polly are harsh, believe me, I have tried them all over. But the rubber your buy now are not what they used to be. I replaced engine mounts on my Sani. to find that the new ones were worse than the old one's that were in there. Same afternoon, I put the old ones back. The new rubber were so soft that the starter would catch the chassis under LR load. I tried polly here, but they were too hard. I have just moved my engine 30mm forward, and lifted the tail of the gearbox by 100mm. The old gearbox mount was laying metal on metal on the chassis. And that s darn R680 Partquip replacement that has hardly seen 20k km over 5 years. I put new rubber engine mounts in after the engine move. And lucky I have given it enough space, because these also have way too much movement on them.

So please specify what make will work, because to go through the dozen aftermarket brands that can't make proper parts in the fist place, can become seriously expensive. And don't think you can take an engine mount back once you have fitted, to find that it does not work. I had to build my own gearbox mount, and used polly bushes here. It may be a bit harsh, but at least it holds the gearbox where it needs to be without deflecting.

And then we have not even started on suspension rubbers. What a joke. My tension rod rubbers got to a point where they would get eaten up every six months, along with tire damage for good measure. Fitted polly, and they lasted 2 years before I removed the entire suspension. They are still good to work if they had too.

BUT, I agree, with regards body mounts, they need to be soft, so you can afford to put any rubbish rubber in there.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Have a mate that rebuilt a defender and used only polly bushes, what a croc of SH...... ride was a lot harder than a standard defender.

Went back to standard rubber bushes and all is well once more.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

Just a quick piece of info.

Polyurathane, by default, is a blend of components. Meaning that you have to mix multiple components. Pot life of this blend is usually not longer than 5min.

Now look at your "poly" bushes. If it is perfectly shaped, like it comes out of a closed mould, it is plastic and not poly.

With a pot life of 5min, and your casting needs to cure, it can't come out of an injection moulder.
    Last edited by Henris; 2019/09/28 at 09:51 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Surely there are different grades of polyurethane, what I mean is theres more give so as to give u a softer ride or is my only solution the genuine Isuzu mounts, u look at the big lorries, theres alot of cab movement, Ive got to try something because the state of the ground rds aren't getting any better.

Yes, you can dial in the shore hardness you need. But it still doesn't come out of an injection moulder.

Albert gave me a set of bushes that are extremely hard and clearly plastic.

Normally, anything that can translate a noise/rumble into the body is 60 shore. The rest, 80 shore.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Henris, you are 100% right, and I wish you were one of the guys building these things. I swear, right there, you have more technical expertise than I think the darn manufacturers have. And don't think you ask the guys at the parts counter what the shore rating is on their polly bushes. They look at you as if you just fell out of a tree. So you really have a big struggle to match the shore to your application if you can't get that info in the first place.

Then, where do you buy the polly mix to make your own bushes.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Some tricks here.

Firstly the mix shriks 1.5%. So you can't use an existing bush to make a mould .

Then I also reccommend you make a flanged bush.

So the idea is to make 2 bushes. 2 halves. But first print a 3d part and make a mould from that.

I get my poly from AMT. There are other suppliers, but I am just a bit fussy.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Quote Originally Posted by Charlton View Post
    Hi all
    Ive just replaced my 'Queens'(her name) cab mounts, she's a 1990 2.5 single cab 4x4, been in the family since new, I put in those yellow mounts, think they made of polyurethane, was hoping for a improved ride but its even worse now, poor old girl rattles like hell on the ground road, I thought of adding a piece of the old mounts rubber to dampen the ride, I know I should probably take the plunge and buy the genuine parts from the stealers but they are so expensive, would REALLY APPRECIATE any advice.
    From what I have heard, aftermarket mounts, be it engine- or cab mounts, usually don't last all that long. The OEM ones might be expensive, but they have lasted you 29 years.
    How much are those OEM ones and don't you think it's worth while spending the money?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser