South Gate camping

Default South Gate camping

I have not been to Botswana for years and plan to visit during August 2020. The only camping booking that I can get in Moremi is at South Gate. I cannot remember much about the camping area nor much of the surrounded area. Is South Gate a good spot for Moremi and if not what are the alternatives? I have reserved a camping spot at Ihaha for a couple off days as well.

I appreciate your comments
    Chris
    Pajero GLX
    Imagine Comfortvan

Default Re: South Gate camping

We have always liked South Gate since our first visit in 1997 when it still had pretty crappy ablutions. We camped there once but always stopped for breakfast there on our way out of Moremi.

Now the ablutions are the same as the other camps plus the whole new Blackpool area has been opened, which I believe is delivering spectacular game viewing. Pat is a regular visitor there, hope he sees this.

I will happily stay there. In fact I will probably prefer it above Xakanaka and most definitely North Gate.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/09/25 at 11:59 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

South Gate is fine. You are close to Blackpool, Xini and Bodumatau. I would take it. Like other camps, there are baboons, arrogant hyenas and honey bargers but its a great campsite.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    We have always liked South Gate since our first visit in 1997 when it still had pretty crappy ablutions. We camped there once but always stopped for breakfast there on our way out of Moremi.

Now the ablutions are the same as the other camps plus the whole new Blackpool area has been opened, which I believe is delivering spectacular game viewing. Pat is a regular visitor there, hope he sees this.

I will happily stay there. In fact I will probably prefer it above Xakanaka and most definitely North Gate.
    Yes, nothing wrong with South Gate. We also thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

Yes I can also confirm that in my opinion South Gate is definately worth using as a Moremi campsite. Especially if you cannot get Third Bridge, Xakanaxa or Khwai.

Its obvious disadvantage is its close proximity to the entrance gate, but as this is an unfenced park and there is no abrupt decrease in game numbers. The campsite is nice enough with good shade and decent enough ablutions. The game drives Pat mentions, to Black Pool, Xini Lagoon and the Bodumatau Loop, are as good as any within Moremi. A slow day drive to and from Third Bridge is also a lovely outing.

If driving directly from South Gate to Ihaha make a very early start and take the alternate route outside the park, that directly to Mababe. An extremely long day!

You might rather want to book one of the community campsites around Khwai and Mababe and overnight there and then you can drive through Moremi.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

We just arrived home after three and a half weeks Moremi/Savuti. Spent some nights in South Gate too. As mentioned, nothing wrong with the campsite. Sites 7, 8, 9 and 10 are our favorites as they are a little away from the rest. There is an elephant 'problem' now at South Gate. First they learned how to open the water taps that are on the outside of the ablution blocks. But for some that wasn't good enough and instead of just opening them, they ripped the taps off. Inside everything is working however.

More important, Moremi is really getting very dry again. Black Pools and Xinii have very little water left. First part of Bodumatau, close to Hidden Lagoon, has lots of water and lots of game. It's a bit of a drive from South Gate, but for sure worth some time spending there. Even after the old pole bride (hard to miss as there is a shallow water crossing at that spot and one old pole left) you can drive along the shallow pools until you're forced into the mopane forest. Just turn around at that point.

As Khwai is at it's best now, another option could be to stay at one of the sites outside of North Gate. You can drive along the Khwai river up- and downstream on both sides now and game viewing is really excellent

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexB For This Useful Post:

We are heading to Kwai north gate the day after tomorrow. Glad to hear there are good sightings

Some clips of Moremi south gate camp about 4 minutes in to this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mxIbQOi4Os

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Absie For This Useful Post: