Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Sherman tank anyone?

This video just posted mentions this actual thread. That's how I found it.

Interesting...

https://youtu.be/qpQY1VIHw8s
    Andrew to all.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kamanya For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kamanya View Post

Interesting...

Ancient shaman and good doctor Rob (aka AmaNewbie) will correct me shortly, but there are a few Shermans in what he calls the World's largest car park near Oranjemund. I believe a few are still buried under some dunes there.

PS: I had to explain to him that a "tank" was sort of like a chariot. He got his license on those...
    Last edited by iandvl; 2024/04/02 at 03:16 PM.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Yes, I believe some Sherman tanks were converted for use in Oranjemund as earth-movers. But I'd need to Google to make 100% sure. And that "largest car park" is rather a large scrap heap where old vehicles, which are not permitted to leave the Sperrgebiet near Oranjemund, are driven into the desert and just left to rot...

At some stage CDM (as it was then called, now NamDeb I think) was the world's largest (private?) owner of earth-moving equipment in the world... I think that honour now belongs to the US Army.

Happy to be proven wrong on any statements above - I don't have time to Google right now... Unlike Ian, I have to work for a living...
    Rob Kirk

Old Wheeler

Amarok V6.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    <snip>Unlike Ian, I have to work for a living...</snip>
    That is a bit unfair, grand-shaman-super-old-grandfather-of-a-gazillions-and-chariot-driver rob....
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

The shoes fit perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by kamanya View Post

Interesting...

The Owner of Sandstone Esates near Ficksburg drives a Sherman around on his farm if he visits there.
    I kid you not.
    Had the exquisite priviledge of walking around his many Vehicle Hangars one day, years ago - bought a Land Cruiser 80 from him.
    Unbelievable stuff, especially his Military Collection of vehicles.
    WW2 Willys Jeep with around 100 miles on the clock.
    SWB Series 1 with not much more, around 600 miles.
    Saracens, G5 Cannon (yes seriously), couple Shermans, Stalin Organ, Eland or 2, etc etc etc.
    And ja, the Sherman that he uses as his Plaasbakkie - they were busy servicing the thing when I was there.

CRAZY .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    The Owner of Sandstone Esates near Ficksburg drives a Sherman around on his farm if he visits there.
    I kid you not.
    Had the exquisite priviledge of walking around his many Vehicle Hangars one day, years ago - bought a Land Cruiser 80 from him.
    Unbelievable stuff, especially his Military Collection of vehicles.
    WW2 Willys Jeep with around 100 miles on the clock.
    SWB Series 1 with not much more, around 600 miles.
    Saracens, G5 Cannon (yes seriously), couple Shermans, Stalin Organ, Eland or 2, etc etc etc.
    And ja, the Sherman that he uses as his Plaasbakkie - they were busy servicing the thing when I was there.

CRAZY .
    Petri, do you perhaps know which engine his tank had?
    I think Shermans came with four or five different engines, depending on model.
    There was a radial engine, a multi-bank engine (basically a number of smaller Chrysler engines bolted together), the ford GAA V8 and a diesel engine.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Petri, do you perhaps know which engine his tank had?
    I think Shermans came with four or five different engines, depending on model.
    There was a radial engine, a multi-bank engine (basically a number of smaller Chrysler engines bolted together), the ford GAA V8 and a diesel engine.
    Not sure, no.
    Something somehow tells me it was a Diesel - but can be wrong.
    He has about 3 or 4 of them anyway.
    And EVERYthing on that farm is running - the steam engines, trains, EVERYTHING.
    He actually bought some station "perron" - buildings etc etc, and they had it transported to the farm, he now has his own station there.
    His dining room is an old "food wagon" (train) on that perron.
    And he only uses narrow track treintjies - he has his own track, I've heard almost to Thaba Nchu/Tweespruit.
    Crazy stuff...........
    And the Guys tell me me if you really want to see something - he has a massive MG Collection in Gauteng.
    Oh, and his favourite mode of transport, if he doesnt take the Chopper?? A Kenilworth, converted to some "sleep over" truck thing.
    Drives it himself.
    Nice, Guys with a passion like this

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

I have had the somewhat good fortune to be very slightly involved with two tank restorations. Both were unfortunately never completed.

The first was an M5 Stuart a friend of mine started. He was a mechie and was involved in restoring military vehicles. He also had a wonderful M38 Jeep we went bombing around in a couple of times, but he lost his job and things went south.

The other was an Olifant Mk1 owned by Oom Bennie Musgrave in Bloem. This was pretty complete (except for radios and some of the optics), but the motor wouldn't turn, and he passed away before anything could be done about it. He also had a non-airworthy Impala (both "on loan" from the SADF for a museum), a beautiful Series 2 SWB Landy and was working on an MGB.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3