Safety in single vehicle travelling from Pandamatenga to Robins Camp?

Default Safety in single vehicle travelling from Pandamatenga to Robins Camp?

Can anyone advise on the safety of travelling in a single vehicle from Pandamatenga to Robins Camp.
    We are travelling there in October 2019 and would like to have assurance that this is not a "silly" thing to do
    Regards
    Morag

Default Re: Safety in single vehicle travelling from Pandamatenga to Robins Camp?

What exactly are you worried about?
    We have driven that road alone a number of times.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Safety in single vehicle travelling from Pandamatenga to Robins Camp?

Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    What exactly are you worried about?
    We have driven that road alone a number of times.
    Drove that road in June 2019, its a quiet road and no problem at all.
    Defender 110 td5

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Go For This Useful Post:

The road is safe, absolutely no issues as you will enter a game management area all the way. There are no villages or threats along the way.

The first portion of the road to the Hwange/ Robins turn off will be a rough track with a few undulations but just take it easy. You need high clearance but any bakkie or the like will be fine, no need for 4X4. The road from the turn off has recently been scraped and the surface is fine.

Enjoy!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

You can drive any road in the whole Zimbabwe with zero risk of any violence. This is not SA

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zimtruck For This Useful Post:

Maybe Morag was enquiring on the road condition and getting stuck and not banditry
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

In July 2018 We drove from Hwange town via Matetsi to Pandamatenga - 1 vehicle. I had only one spare wheel which had been damaged in Whange itself and I could not get a new tyre or even get it repaired properly in town. I was on tenderhooks all the way as I never saw another vehicle the whole way. Obviously I drove slowly and looked out for large and sharp rocks on the road. I asked at the border how many vehicles use that route in a day and was told 4 or 5 on a busy day. Take a extra spare with you for peace of mind

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyj For This Useful Post:

Drove that road in June 2019, safety not a problem, quite nice , couple of bad patches of road

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JACO PRINSLOO For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MoragMag View Post
    Can anyone advise on the safety of travelling in a single vehicle from Pandamatenga to Robins Camp.
    We are travelling there in October 2019 and would like to have assurance that this is not a "silly" thing to do
    Regards
    Morag
    Thank you all very much for the replies. Brand new to the group and so looking forward to this trip.
    We have a Toyota Hilux, fully equipped and will definitely have the spare tyres!!

This is our first venture on our own and the road in the area in question looked a tad remote and reports of rough patches gave cause for some concern., now fully allayed by the replies.

Prior to this trip we have travelled fairly extensively throughout Southern Africa, (South Africa of course, Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda) however always with others, as a group travelling in convoy and sometimes with a guide. I was born in Zim and as always enjoy any opportunity to get back there, this time doing the annual game count in Hwange.

Regards
    Morag
    Last edited by MoragMag; 2019/09/23 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Just adding a bit of background

Quote Originally Posted by MoragMag View Post
    Thank you all very much for the replies. Brand new to the group and so looking forward to this trip.
    We have a Toyota Hilux, fully equipped and will definitely have the spare tyres!!

This is our first venture on our own and the road in the area in question looked a tad remote and reports of rough patches gave cause for some concern., now fully allayed by the replies.

Prior to this trip we have travelled fairly extensively throughout Southern Africa, (South Africa of course, Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda) however always with others, as a group travelling in convoy and sometimes with a guide. I was born in Zim and as always enjoy any opportunity to get back there, this time doing the annual game count in Hwange.

Regards
    Morag
    Hi Morag, we have just returned on Sunday from Hwange & this is now the 2nd time we have gone in & out through Pandamatenga into the park, we always travel alone. Border post is a breeze.

Also from Zim, since introducing my hubby to the country we thoroughly enjoy our visits at any chance we get. The people are simply amazing, friendly, welcoming & only to happy to have visitors.

One note is we had 4 x 20 litre Jerry cans of diesel (filled up in Pandamatenga village Botswana side) - one of the customs guys at the border post asked us about it (last time there was no mention). He told us the amount was restricted to 40 litres. Hubby explained we were headed to Main Camp & with no diesel available in the park without the extra we would be at a loss. His reply was "its at the officials discretion whether to allow this or not" & that was the end of that he let us through with a smile!

The road is not bad, a few "rough" patches but very manageable & nothing to worry about, just don't rush, enjoy the drive & odd wildlife you see. They were busy grading some sections. And yes it's very safe!

Enjoy your trip & give us some feedback once you are back!
    Last edited by landylovers; 2019/10/06 at 10:13 PM.

2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
    (Chief Planner of all trips / Chief Photographer / Navigator for Hubby)
    "Africa is NOT for sissies" "The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa...for he has so much to look forward to" "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to landylovers For This Useful Post:

"The officials discretion" boils down to the guy in the uniform does he want your meat, booze or whatever he may fancy and will you object enough to be delayed? Part of the reason I don't do Zim anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    "The officials discretion" boils down to the guy in the uniform does he want your meat, booze or whatever he may fancy and will you object enough to be delayed? Part of the reason I don't do Zim anymore.
    I'm sad to hear such a jaded view on Zim. The place, the people all remain incredible even with their dire circumstances!

With regards customs, in our opinion it has everything to do with attitude & how you choose to respond or not respond to the officials! We had absolutely none of that at all in Zim or Botswana - they were all extremely pleasant. Both coming & going we were through in less than 20 minutes.

We do not believe in & refuse to take part in any form of bribery whatsoever. So NO, nothing was handed over or taken by any official during our trip & not once did any of them ask.
    Last edited by landylovers; 2019/10/06 at 10:16 PM.

2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
    (Chief Planner of all trips / Chief Photographer / Navigator for Hubby)
    "Africa is NOT for sissies" "The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa...for he has so much to look forward to" "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

I agree wholeheartedly, one's attitude went dealing with officials makes all the difference.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckzoo For This Useful Post: