Amatola Hiking Trail

Default Amatola Hiking Trail

Has anyone here done the Amatola hiking trail, 100kms, 6 days ?
    Got any tips or advice for me ? I'd want to do it early next year so I'm looking for opinions of other fellow hikers. Thanks

Default Re: Amatola Hiking Trail

Quote Originally Posted by WayneMan View Post
    Has anyone here done the Amatola hiking trail, 100kms, 6 days ?
    Got any tips or advice for me ? I'd want to do it early next year so I'm looking for opinions of other fellow hikers. Thanks
    Don't do it in the rain.
    Two steps forward three steps back. Thick red mud makes life hell! Otherwise great trail.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BGF For This Useful Post:

Hi Wayman, I did it about 30 yrs ago. I'm sure its changed somewhat. But have to agree with BFG. I remember it being very steep in places, but fortunately for us we did not have rain.
    I also remember that 2nd day being a pull at 21 km...not sure if it's the same now. A buddy did it about 10 years ago, and I remember him telling me they started the first day to late, only arriving at the first at night. He said it was difficult to follow the trail in the dark, so get there early for the first day.
    Goodluck ...wish I was tagging along.
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    2015 Hyundai IX 35 Limited Edition

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mcboss For This Useful Post:

So I was thinking of doing it in Feb or Mar.....I know that is the rainy season but better hot than cold weather.
    with global warming I wonder how much rain actually falls in the Easter cape that time of the year. They have been in a drought for years. I might just wing it and see what happens.

Did the hike a few years ago.

The scenery was epic. Beautiful landscapes. Meandering mountains paths. Never ending waterfalls.

Be fit. The terrain was pretty tough going. I was fit back then but still found it hard going.

We got chased by cows. Haha. Clearly those cows didn't get the memo re man vs a rare fillet...

When it rains everything is very slippery. We descended Knifes Edge in the rain. (Knifes Edge is that bit of a map where the contour lines basically form one bold line because it's so steep; I was scared witless :-)

We staying in Hogsback at the end of the hike. A magical place. Highly recommended.

You're going to love the hike.

Enjoy.
    SUV: 2014 BMW X3 2.0d :-) (not a real 4x4 etc I know... but man does it drive lekker)

4X4: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland

Jurgens XT 65B with Howling Moon TTT

8. The Following User Says Thank You to grantt For This Useful Post:

Did the zingcuka loop in August. It's the last (toughest) two days of the Amatola. 22km on day 1 and 17km on day two. Really really enjoyed it, although it was as tough as it gets. Apparently winter and autumn are the best hiking months, although we struggled to get to the hut before dark. I would suggest spring or late summer, so that you can enjoy the waterfalls etc. We stayed at away with the fairies and they sorted everything. Can really recommend them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frikkie5000 For This Useful Post: