Ford & Mazda Whould you buy an 3.2 Everest with...

Default Whould you buy an 3.2 Everest with...

I need some advice on a 2016 Everest 3.2 Limited with 93000km on the clock... I can buy this vehicle for R355k seems like great value for money!

I have done my due diligence on the vehicle and found that it had a cylinder head replacement done on 61000km by Ford under warranty. The owner complained about a knocking noise from the engine.

So I want to drive the vehicle for at least the next 5 years, preferably without major mechanical failure.

For me the concern is that the root cause of the head failure may still be present and its just a matter of time before it strikes again.

Would you buy this vehicle?
    2011 VW Amarok BiTDI DC 4Motion
    (Ex) 2007 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DID DC 4x4
    (Ex) 2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8 TDI DC 4x4

Default Re: Whould you buy an 3.2 Everest with...

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus80 View Post
    Would you buy this vehicle?
    no
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Something fishy about the repairs done. The 3.2 knock have got nothing to do with the cylinder head. I had a 3.2 which developed a knock after a extremely heavy towing session(massive industrial trailer). I drove it a week or two with the knock which were more noticeable when cold and under acceleration. On the 65k service the guys replaced the engine no questions asked. I sold that vehicle a year later when the warrantee expired. I know of a couple of these failures, all of them on engines that are chipped or hammered often. I have a 3.2 Everest as well as some double cabs, with every one I took out the extended warrantee but never had any issue the last 4 years. Only thing I changed were my fuel and driving style while towing. If the car is in a good condition its a bargain , add to the price the R14k to extend the warrantee trough Ford. Just confirm from the dealer where it was serviced and repaired that there is nothing in the vehicle history that would void the warrantee.

I like the brand and am on my 3rd trouble free Ford...but I have to second jelo... no, I would personally not buy it. And that is regardless if it is from Ford or a used car dealer.
    I don't think I will ever be able to drive it with peace of mind, without thinking: "What next..."
    Last edited by AntonN; 2019/09/22 at 12:24 PM.

Yes that is my feeling as well...

We have a enough to worry about, worrying about an engine letting go is just not something that you want to add to everything...
    2011 VW Amarok BiTDI DC 4Motion
    (Ex) 2007 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DID DC 4x4
    (Ex) 2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8 TDI DC 4x4

We have a enough to worry about, worrying about an engine letting go is just not something that you want to add to everything...
    After letting go of the Everest, I had to look hard to find the right bakkie again. The first one might not always be the right one.

I considered at least 6 Rangers, and had already signed for one, where in hindsight, thankfully, the deal fell through because of poor admin from the dealer side. The one I got, eventually, ticked all the boxes and I am very happy.
    The price was very right, FSH with dealer, 18 months warranty left and I extended by 3 more years Ford Warranty. They pulled the service and repairs history and it had no major repairs.

Just keep hunting.

yep, too many stories about those 3.2s...........and sure, sometimes its just stories, but sometimes not.......
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Wouldnt touch it with a Barge Pole

Nope, wouldn’t go near it
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB