Plastering over surfix ?

Default Plastering over surfix ?

I need to add a few plugs and light switches on some new walls that have gone up. I wanted to ask if the right thing to do is chase and run conduit or as it is legal do most just run surfix and plaster over it.

For the sake of a bit of dust and a few hours chasing i think i should use conduit as i can then pull new wires if ever there is a problem but it will slow things down by a day.

Thanks

Default Re: Plastering over surfix ?

Quote Originally Posted by warrenpfo View Post

For the sake of a bit of dust and a few hours chasing i think i should use conduit as i can then pull new wires if ever there is a problem but it will slow things down by a day.
    The first time you hit a nail through the surfix you will be sorry you did not follow your own advice!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

As long as you keep to the norm of going up or down directly above or below the switch inside the wall there should not be a problem, the moment you go sideways then a result Franscois is talking about comes into play.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Yes as others mentioned plastering over power wires is a no no besides the danger after. One can reset it but then use a tube if not then the cover is low so will crack with time, do it properly a conduit is cheap
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    Yes as others mentioned plastering over power wires is a no no besides the danger after. One can reset it but then use a tube if not then the cover is low so will crack with time, do it properly a conduit is cheap
    Its not the cost its the hassle of chasing .I cant comment but I think its perfectly legal. I think its a no brainer that conduit is a much better idea.

Fix 2.x fibre stone discs on your grinder and rip straight up from switch or straight down from plug. Surfix is designed to run without conduit .

plaster up and off you go. Perfectly legal aswell.
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

It is 100% within regulation to just plaster it in.

The theory that it can protect against a nail through is a good theory besides the nail still going through it also dents the pipe to the extent that it is virtually impossible to get the new wire through. Had a few in my sparky career and very few ended as planned

I fully agree with the straight lines up and down. makes good logical sense.

Just as an aside normal twin & earth is also legal to be plastered in, loose wires unfortunately not
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Thanks guys. If I do plaster it in should I still chase a bit to ensure the plaster does not crack being too thin?

Quote Originally Posted by warrenpfo View Post
    Thanks guys. If I do plaster it in should I still chase a bit to ensure the plaster does not crack being too thin?
    Really.fine sand plaster or just good old polyfiller.
    Use a sponge to texture.when touchdry to match texture of existing plaster.
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

Op post #1.
    His new walls are not plastered yet.
    So he has to in anycase chase the walls for the plugs and light fittings .

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    It is 100% within regulation to just plaster it in.

The theory that it can protect against a nail through is a good theory besides the nail still going through it also dents the pipe to the extent that it is virtually impossible to get the new wire through. Had a few in my sparky career and very few ended as planned

I fully agree with the straight lines up and down. makes good logical sense.

Just as an aside normal twin & earth is also legal to be plastered in, loose wires unfortunately not
    Agreed, so if you put the surfix in pvc pipe, you still can go through with a nail.
    The idea of Twin and earth and surfix was to eliminate the use of conduit in many cases.
    In about 7 complexes that was done in the Water front only once a nail went through a cable, and it was some one
    who put a nail right over the top of the switch box.
    If you work smart, it will limit the problems that can occur later.
    Just bare in mind those cables cant go in direct concrete, but in the screed yes.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian