Southern Namibia 2020

Default Southern Namibia 2020

We hope to do a trip in 2020. When is the best time to go? We not dependant on school holidays.

We have just over 2 weeks, from C.T, but don't want to rush the trip. The idea is to do Richtersveld, Fish River Canyon, Aus,(not in this order) then also the ghost town ,Lüderitz and maybe Ai Ais.

Hopefully some wise ones here can help me plan my trip and include most of the "great" places to see.

We shall be traveling solo in a Toyota Fortuna, with either RTT or ground tent.

Default Re: Suthern Namibia 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    We hope to do a trip in 2020. When is the best time to go? We not dependant on school holidays.

We have just over 2 weeks, from C.T, but don't want to rush the trip. The idea is to do Richtersveld, Fish River Canyon, Aus,(not in this order) then also the ghost town ,Lüderitz and maybe Ai Ais.

Hopefully some wise ones here can help me plan my trip and include most of the "great" places to see.

Hi Toni. Summer will be very uncomfortable for camping due to the heat. I can recommend Amanzi River Camp near Noordoewer on the Namibian side. They cater for river canoeing but have no problem with camping. On the Orange river banks with lawn, big trees, separate campsites and a restaurant/pub. WiFi at the restaurant.

Aus is desolate and camping anywhere there will be in the sun and wind. But don't forget to stop off at the Commonwealth war graves for the Germans and South Africans killed in WW1. Look for the wild desert horses too. Descendants of the soldiers war horses.

Don't even think of camping in Luderitz. The world windsurfing speed record was set there and the Felsenkirche has protective panels to prevent stones blown onto the stained glass windows from destroying them. Rather stay at Obelix guesthouse which caters for overlanders and where the guided desert overland tours through the Sperrgebiet to Walvis Bay leave from. There is also a day tour through the Sperrgebiet to Bogenfels. You need to hand in your passports two days before the tour for police clearance to enter the Sperrgebiet. The guesthouse will do all for you. While you wait for your passports you can visit Kolmanskop on the one day and Grossebucht including Bartholomew Diaz's cross and the lighthouse on the next.

Enjoy the trip.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your reply Olyfboer

Is there any way one can self drive from Lüderitz to Alexander Bay?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toni For This Useful Post:

Hi Toni,
    We did the trip in June this year just before the school holidays.

Paarl to Port Nolloth, camped at Oranjemund (Op die Stoep)
    Travelled through the Spergebied to Aus and camped in town at the Garage - lovely shade trees and clean abulutions. Saw the wild horses 25 km out of town. Next day we visited Kolmanskop and Luderitz. Take the Kolmanskop guided tour they share a lot of interesting history, facts and stories.
    Slept at Aus and travelled to Sesriem(booking is perhaps best - they have many tourists in bus loads) Stop at Solitaire for appelstrudel!
    Visit the dunes at Sossusvlei EARLY morning to see the beautiful contrasts. In the afternoon go down the canyons at Sesriem - 1 hour hike.
    We travelled further to Swakopmund and on our retun spent time at Ai-ais.
    I would like to think that this trip could also be done any time from April to end of August - weather wise.
    Last edited by Dirkba; 2019/09/20 at 09:14 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirkba For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your very interesting reply Dirkba

You say that you "Travelled through the Spergebied to Aus"
    Did you do this from Alexandra Bay?

We have just over 2 weeks so maybe not enough time for Solitaire etc.

Would love to see your route and times taken, as we shall probably be going the same time of the year.

Thank you for your very interesting reply Dirkba

You say that you "Travelled through the Spergebied to Aus"
    Did you do this from Alexandra Bay?

We have just over 2 weeks so maybe not enough time for Solitaire etc.

Would love to see your route and times taken, as we shall probably be going the same time of the year.
    Let us get together after the long weekend - will send you pm!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkba View Post
    Let us get together after the long weekend - will send you pm!
    Why not share it here? After all, that's why we have a forum - to inform all the members.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

I live in Oranjemund which is now an open town and the best way to enter Namibia if you are driving up on the N7 imho.
    The direct route from Oranjemund to Luderitz on the gravel road close to the coast, through the sperrgebiedt is out of bounds.
    Otherwise, from oranjemund you drive via rosh pinah, then Aus to luderitz. You do drive through part of the sperrgebiedt on this route.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post:

Klein Aus vista outside of Aus. Very nice. Diesel is substantialy cheaper in Luderitz than Aus. We visted Sesriem in July- August. The place was full and no bookings available. Make sure you have a booking. Hobas R250 pp/n. Quivertree forrest. R250 pp/n. The most expensibe camping we found in the south.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

Best time is April/May .

17. The Following User Says Thank You to F250 For This Useful Post:

Thank you KimballR even though it is not what I wanted to hear. I understood the road close to the coast may have been open and was hoping to do this road. This then means we shall be doing Oranjemund to Aus via Rosh Pinah. Not sure if we shall then go to Lüderitz, unless there is some "must see" places that I am not aware of in Lüderitz.

Pieterk thank you, but I don't think we shall be going north of Aus, as we only have 2 weeks from Cape Town and don't want to rush it

Thank you for your advice F250, however why do you say this time of year? (this is a genuine question)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Why not share it here? After all, that's why we have a forum - to inform all the members.

The 9 min video I compiled after our trip is just too big to share here.

Toni and I are both in Western Cape and a get together to share Q&A just saves forum ping pong!

Upload the video to youtube or some other streaming service and post the link here. We all love to watch some wild African footage to get our daily fix...
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Thank you KimballR even though it is not what I wanted to hear. I understood the road close to the coast may have been open and was hoping to do this road. This then means we shall be doing Oranjemund to Aus via Rosh Pinah. Not sure if we shall then go to Lüderitz, unless there is some "must see" places that I am not aware of in Lüderitz.

Pieterk thank you, but I don't think we shall be going north of Aus, as we only have 2 weeks from Cape Town and don't want to rush it

Thank you for your advice F250, however why do you say this time of year? (this is a genuine question)
    Luderitz is well worth the trip, but I always advise people to stay in Aus and drive in and out within a day. Much better to camp in aus compared to luderitz which is known world wide for its extreme winds
    Aus - klein aus vista.
    Luderitz - Much to see. One thing that no one knows about yet is that a Maritime museum is scheduled to open in march next year. I have had a pre viewing - it is world class and will be a major attraction going forward!!
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post: